News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SRT-8 Daytona Clone

Started by Stevearino, May 31, 2013, 02:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevearino

Quote from: 71_Charger_R/T on February 23, 2014, 07:45:04 PM
Wow Steve!  I really enjoy watching this thread! (Very sorry to read of the loss of your Dad!) I'm sure you made him proud with the talents you carry on from his teaching!  Very clever workmanship you do! It's like a treat every time you post new progress.   :popcrn:
Quote from: 70Sbird on February 23, 2014, 07:48:46 PM
As always, keep up the good Fab work and the pictures!
:2thumbs: :cheers: :2thumbs: :cheers: :2thumbs: :cheers:

As always I appreciate the thumbs up. It keeps me moving forward. Slowly but forward.

Stevearino

This was a really good swap done by West Coast Restorations out of Florida. They have pictures of the build on their facebook page. It will be interesting to see if the owner gets anywhere near this asking price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plymouth-Road-Runner-SRT-8-Award-Winning-Road-Runner-SRT-8-Pro-Touring-6-1L-HEMI-/171250481800?forcerrptr=true&hash=item27df52fa88&item=171250481800&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Stevearino

While I am finishing up remodeling the right side rocker I decided to work on finishing out the trunk floor  area. Since I don't have the regular floor structure to count on I had to beef up the area on the right and left side of the floor where the wing will transfer the load to the chassis. I first welded a piece of 1 1/2" .049 wall square tube across the back below the floor area to tie the bumper outriggers together. I then ran more 1 1/2" tube front to rear in order to tie into the 06 trunk floor extensions. I welded a small 1/2" stand off from the bolt up on the rear frame to help triangulate the support to the side pieces. It stiffened up the area quite nicely.

Stevearino

Once the substructure was in place I started the process of fabricating the floor panel extensions. I decided to use pre painted .040 aluminum for the close out panels. The pictures show the center panel cleco'd into place.

DonC1

djcarguy

Quote from: Stevearino on February 24, 2014, 09:09:01 PM
This was a really good swap done by West Coast Restorations out of Florida. They have pictures of the build on their facebook page. It will be interesting to see if the owner gets anywhere near this asking price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plymouth-Road-Runner-SRT-8-Award-Winning-Road-Runner-SRT-8-Pro-Touring-6-1L-HEMI-/171250481800?forcerrptr=true&hash=item27df52fa88&item=171250481800&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Well i love the red runner srt-8 i think the price is way more than it will bring.. :Twocents: :Twocents:

Think a 68 or 70 road runner may have been better ideal as 69 was the high production # yr of about 90,000 RR's in 69 twice as many as 68.  a 70 with wing an nose may sell for 75k plus to afew buyers out there. :Twocents:
     Great to see you back working on ya SRT-8 Daytona an posting,Steve. i got ee my nose is done working out shipping. like your trunk mods an rockers.great stuff. :drool5: :popcrn: :cheers: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:  DJ ;D :D

Stevearino

Quote from: DonC1 on March 04, 2014, 01:29:15 AM
Nice work!
Thanks Don. Having seen your work that is more than a compliment. Amazing work building those Batmobiles.

Quote from: djcarguy on March 04, 2014, 04:02:06 AM
Quote from: Stevearino on February 24, 2014, 09:09:01 PM

Well i love the red runner srt-8 i think the price is way more than it will bring.. :Twocents: :Twocents:

Think a 68 or 70 road runner may have been better ideal as 69 was the high production # yr of about 90,000 RR's in 69 twice as many as 68.  a 70 with wing an nose may sell for 75k plus to afew buyers out there. :Twocents:
     Great to see you back working on ya SRT-8 Daytona an posting,Steve. i got ee my nose is done working out shipping. like your trunk mods an rockers.great stuff. :drool5: :popcrn: :cheers: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:  DJ ;D :D

They did a first class job on that Road Runner and I doubt they are asking for half of what they have in it but I will still be surprised if they get the asking price. We'll see.

Baldwinvette77

Looks good enough to eat... no really it does  :drool5:

tnthull

Steve, I just spent the past hour or so at our daughters competition reading this build, and I have no idea how I've missed this thread over the last while but WOW! this is phenomenal. I wanna come see this thing if youve ever got some free time! I've got so many new Ideas for my build. You are truly a master of your work and that thing is going to be an amazing car!

Stevearino

Quote from: tnthull on March 09, 2014, 12:30:30 PM
Steve, I just spent the past hour or so at our daughters competition reading this build, and I have no idea how I've missed this thread over the last while but WOW! this is phenomenal. I wanna come see this thing if youve ever got some free time! I've got so many new Ideas for my build. You are truly a master of your work and that thing is going to be an amazing car!
Thanks for the compliments. They are appreciated. Many hurdles (self imposed) yet to clear on this thing.
I don't know where you are located but you are welcome to stop by anytime. I live in the Charlotte N.C. area. PM me if you are coming this way.

Indygenerallee

Looks fantastic as usual Steve!!  ;)
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Stevearino

More tedious but necessary stuff. Here are some pictures of the remaining trunk close out panels being installed. All the panels  being .040 pre painted aluminum were siliconed and riveted down. Rivets alone over time will loosen because of vibration and while they won't come out the will buzz and rattle.

Stevearino

Finally finished up the right side rocker remodel job. The pictures show the more involved rear portion of the rocker where there was a few complicated webs to cut through before I could cap it off and weld it up.

Stevearino

Time to do a quick mock up again to see where I am at now that the rockers have been modified and the front suspension has been lowered 1.75". I mocked up all of the sheet metal in the stock locations this time and will compensate the front wheel opening by moving the opening forward 2". I am not unhappy with the way it now sits. A much better stance that I did not think would be possible.

Indygenerallee

Steve, are you going to make a steel wing with the steel nose?? also what type of wheels are you planning on running? Looks funny with the big bling on a Daytona!!  :lol:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

cdr

steve it really looks much better & as always your work is great.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

dyslexic teddybear

Looking more then great! :yesnod:

Interesting......this is one of the very few "big" rim/tire that seems to work for me.

Subliminal thoughts from what the chassis is? I donno....just seems to fit........

Stevearino

Quote from: Indygenerallee on March 09, 2014, 07:40:53 PM
Steve, are you going to make a steel wing with the steel nose?? also what type of wheels are you planning on running? Looks funny with the big bling on a Daytona!!  :lol:
I have some 20 inch rims picked out that are 5 spoke . You know how all new wheels have the appearance of being dished out like a hub cap. These have a neat design that kind of makes it look like they are dished in old style. I hope they look as good on the car as they do in pictures. I am going back and forth on the nose. Dane makes a good case for the fiberglass nose in that is more durable but I just like the idea of making my own nose. We will have to see which way the wind blows when I get to it.
Quote from: cdr on March 09, 2014, 07:42:36 PM
steve it really looks much better & as always your work is great.
Thanks Charles .I'll take all the puffing up you want to deal out.
Quote from: dyslexic teddybear on March 09, 2014, 07:57:41 PM
Looking more then great! :yesnod:

Interesting......this is one of the very few "big" rim/tire that seems to work for me.

Subliminal thoughts from what the chassis is? I donno....just seems to fit........
I wanted large tires on the car to fill the wheel holes like the race version back in 1970. I just hope when I reduce the wheels to 20 inches they still look big enough.

dyslexic teddybear

For me.....it's not the 20" rim, it's the thin "rubberband" low ratio sidewalls that look bad.

Any idea the biggest diameter tire you can get on 20s? The most sidewall you can get will definitely improve on the "as raced" look.

Like it. Really coming together. :2thumbs:

Stevearino

Quote from: dyslexic teddybear on March 09, 2014, 09:19:45 PM
For me.....it's not the 20" rim, it's the thin "rubberband" low ratio sidewalls that look bad.

Any idea the biggest diameter tire you can get on 20s? The most sidewall you can get will definitely improve on the "as raced" look.

Like it. Really coming together. :2thumbs:

The goal is to get the same diameter tire as I have on these rims on a 20" rim. Because of the Brembo brakes 20" is as small as I can go and these tires are as large as will fit the rear wheel openings.

Aero426

Steve, your rocker mods are going to make so much of an improvement in appearance.   Glad you took the time to figure it out and do it. 

Stevearino

Quote from: Aero426 on March 11, 2014, 12:13:47 PM
Steve, your rocker mods are going to make so much of an improvement in appearance.   Glad you took the time to figure it out and do it. 
You have no idea how happy I am that it finally dawned on me on how to do this. I was extremely upset with the way it was starting to look. :slap:

Baldwinvette77

THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!  :woohoo:

DonC1

I agree!
All that metal work tho...it deserves a steel nose.  :2thumbs:

BigBlockSam

QuoteI wanted large tires on the car to fill the wheel holes like the race version back in 1970. I just hope when I reduce the wheels to 20 inches they still look big enough.

:popcrn: :popcrn: :cheers: :cheers:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img