News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

71 charger vapor sarorator

Started by 71chargerrtclone, May 24, 2013, 08:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What to do if the vapor separator that's behind the left rear fender is totally shot?

hh
1 (33.3%)
hh
2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

71chargerrtclone

What to do if the vapor separator that's behind the left rear fender is totally shot?

VegasCharger

Are you reffering to this?  :shruggy:

71chargerrtclone

Yes that was inside of a box in the rear of the car

hatersaurusrex

Restore it nice and pretty, and then rig up a bypass and skip all that crap :)
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

NHCharger

That is not the same fuel vapor separator that I pulled out of the space behind my 71. The one pictured is the same that I have on my 72 Chargers, which I believe was a mid year change for 72. It is mounted in front of the gas tank on the cross member.

Just found a pic of it.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

VegasCharger

The pics I posted were from a '73 Charger. I believe 71 has the vents coming out from the driver's side of the fuel tank which would require longer hoses to reach the vapor separator. As far as the seperator I'm not sure what's the difference between the two. This goes for early 72 Chargers being on the driver's side then later 72's they moved the vents from the tank to the front using shorter hoses. Same goes for 73 Chargers. 74 Charger is a completely different animal. So between 1971 thru 1974 Chargers they were 3 different fuel tanks although any one of them could be modified to fit all years mentioned......... :cheers:

billfury

I have a nice one if you need it .I would replace it because you can get vapor lock with out it. You can get all the lines new.here's a picture of mine.

billfury

Morten Andre

FYI
On my early 71 Charger, I have a "thingy" mounted behind the drivers side rear wheel connected to the fuel tank with four hoses on the drivers side of the tank.
On the Passenger side on fuel tank there is fuel sending unit with one outlet and one return line going to/coming from underhood passenger side.
When I got my car the return line is unconnected under the hood. The car was originally a 318 auto with almost no optons.
If it is build date that is on the door sticker together with the VIN it says 10-70, I interpret that as month 10 and year 70, but I may be wrong!

Best regards.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: hatersaurusrex on May 25, 2013, 09:31:33 AM
Restore it nice and pretty, and then rig up a bypass and skip all that crap :)
I agree. You don't need

green69rt

I was just talking back and forth with a 69 owner about his fuel vapor seperator.   This looks more like some kind of emission device.  Maybe a central place to suck up all the gas vapors from places and route them to the carb (big line.)  If so then this is not required but one thing to consider is if the device is not hooked up what happens at the carb end.  The big hose may be hooked up to a vacuum port on the carb or intake.  Some air and gas fumes are sucked into the carb and the carb jetting is adjusted to use this air/gas as part of the mixture.  Take the hose off and block the port and you've changed the carberator mixture.   Leave the port unblocked and now only fresh air is sucked in with no gas vapor, again it changes the carb mixture.   This may be a small item but worth checking.