News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bad weekend....Please be careful

Started by HeavyFuel, May 29, 2013, 12:53:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHCharger

Wow, glad to hear you're OK. I work on my cars by myself 99.9% of the time, my shop is 200' behind my house. One of my biggest fears is getting pinned under a car. I always use jackstands and floor jacks, so if one fails I have a back up.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

grdprx

Glad your ok!  I've been there, done that. Really makes you think about it.
Stay safe.

TUFCAT

This thread helps a lot...I think we all need some reminders.  I also did some stupid stuff.  :yesnod:

cdr

VERY GLAD YOU ARE OK!!!!!   1987 my daughter was 2 years old,i had an old chevy p/u with a bad starter solenoid & had parked on a very steep driveway,WELL, i told her to turn the key while i was under the truck hitting the starter with a hammer,i was laying behind the right front tire,she turned the key the truck started & she pulled the gear shifter to reverse & off the truck went,if the wheel had not been turned all the way to the right my head would have been mush. again glad you are ok.

charlie
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

HeavyFuel

Thanks, guys.

These shared experiences will hopefully prevent some pain and suffering.

Has a 'Safety' post ever been started?  Might be a good thing.

ws23rt

Quote from: HeavyFuel on May 29, 2013, 12:02:42 PM
Thanks, guys.

These shared experiences will hopefully prevent some pain and suffering.

Has a 'Safety' post ever been started?  Might be a good thing.

It would be a good thing.. I work in industrial construction and they spend huge amounts of money on orientation and safety training. Too often I hear someone talk about something he did at home that was much easier and quicker than if it was done on the job. We all do it and some are still here to talk about it.

bull

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on May 29, 2013, 10:52:31 AM
Almost 10 years ago 3rd week of November my life changed forever.  A buddy sprayed me with sand so I took off after him to get him back.  I followed him over a widows peak & my Banshee's front right tire caught the back of his ATV when I landed in essence ripping the handlebars out of my hands.  I face planted & broke my back @ L1, a piece of my spine shaped as an arrowhead compressed my spinal cord 77%.

My fate happened in less than a minute.  I had just got a $2 million 360ton Leibherr mobile hydraulic crane, my 2nd new crane @ the company.  I don't have to tell you crane rental pays well.
All of it gone...

I stop & talk to people that are loaded up with ATV's heading for the coast whenever I can.  I know that I've made a difference in how they & all my work buddy's ride.  They tell me whenever someone starts getting crazy they remind them that's how Groff got jacked up.

So your story will undoubtedly help others'.  If even only 1 person you made a difference.  Good job & I'm glad we're not hearing about this from someone else if you know what I mean.

No disrespect to you Mike but I think of you often when I see accidents, knowing how quickly the things we take for granted can be taken away. Just today I saw a car split in half by a telephone pole and knew that person(s) had no idea how their life would change during just a simple trip across town.

Thank God we survive close calls so we can learn from them and be smarter the next time. I have to take blood thinners so I am probably more conscious of safety than the next guy, especially when I am alone. Big jack stands were one of my first purchases when I began restoring my car and every time it goes in the air they are the first thing that goes under it. I've had some close calls myself but nothing serious.

Ryan

We all screw up, glad you are OK  :cheers:
Car will be an easy fix.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

greenpigs

I was going to tack a nut on a rounded bolt of my wheel cylinder that needs to come off(ramcharger). I was set to go then thought of this thread and the fact it wasn't the safest thing to do and decided to drill the bolt out. :Twocents:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

loudmouthaussie

I shiver when I think how I used to trust a trolly/floor jack crawling under my old lowered impala  :slap:

nowadays always; brake on, in park, wheel chocks, jack stands etc etc.
1970 PLYMOUTH SUPERBIRD. 440/6BBL/BENCH/AUTO/VITAMIN C.
1979 FORD RANCHERO GT 351.
1960 AUSTIN HEALEY MK1 BUGEYE SPRITE 1275/4 SPEED.

jessejames

HeavyFuel

Thanks for all the kind words. 

Alot of us have had close calls...or worse.   :'(     :pity:

Remember, and take the time, to be safe.

bill440rt

Scary stuff for sure, no matter how careful you are accidents can & will happen.
Just glad to hear you are OK & did not get hurt.  :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: HeavyFuel on May 30, 2013, 03:29:36 PM

Alot of us have had close calls...or worse.   

That's for sure!   :eek2:

Dino

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

resq302

Quote from: Dino on May 31, 2013, 07:53:20 AM
Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on May 31, 2013, 07:04:02 AM
Quote from: HeavyFuel on May 30, 2013, 03:29:36 PM

Alot of us have had close calls...or worse.   

That's for sure!   :eek2:

What's your story turbin?

Once upon a time..... In a galaxy, far, far away....       :smilielol:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Dino

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

69rtse4spd

Glad your OK, could have been much worse. 

Brass

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

ws23rt

In local news was a story this week about a 19 yr old found crushed to death under a truck he was working on at a auto repair shop. The hydraulic jack he was using failed. Two things come to mind. He was alone and who ever ran the shop must feel some guilt.
I remember clearly how it was at 19yrs old. We knew what we were doing but pushed the limit to get er done. I have had my close calls and am talking about it. Us old farts have an obligation to share with the new ones what we learned with out dying (or worse).

shart70rt

Ouch - glad you are taking the right lesson from this.

Most of us are getting in to middle age now - an injury can take a lot longer to heal, and hurt a lot more.

Even with something as simple as flat tires, think safety first. Last time I changed a flat on the side of the road, I used the bottle jack that came with my F-150. Of course, the jack failed, and I was doing something unsafe. Sat down under the wheel well with the tire on my lap using my legs to lift the tire to the wheel studs. ended up with my legs pinned by the tire, and had to wait for someone to stop and help me. Was 45 minutes before a deputy stopped to offer assistance.

Only real injury was a pulled muscle in my arm from throwing the bottle jack as far as I could into the woods.

Stephen Hart
1970 Charger RT, 440, console 4-speed, Dana 60 3.54
500 Stroker, Edelbrock Heads, Edelbrock intake, dual 600 CFM Carbs,
Comp Hydraulic Roller
Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch setup, Passon Performance overdrive gearset in 833 18 spline 4 spd.
TTI 2 inch headers and 3 inch exhaust.
Subframe connectors
P-S-T polygraphite suspension
4 wheel disc brakes
Classic Auto Air AC
Billet Performance Serpentine Assy
reassembly in progress

HeavyFuel

It's getting nicer outside and we've got spring fever, itching to get working on the cars.

Remember to be safe.

I thought about leaving the nasty spot on the lid as a reminder of the near-miss last summer, but thought better of it.

Spot paint and blend last weekend.  Turned out nice.