News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bad weekend....Please be careful

Started by HeavyFuel, May 29, 2013, 12:53:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

Had a close call last weekend......I feel a little shook up and embarrassed by the whole thing.   :rotz:

I'm very safety conscious, but also human.....so don't bash me too much. :-\

I had the car elevated about 8" by putting 4 x 4's under the tires so that the TTI exhaust could get put on.  When I started to torque the exhaust manifold/exhaust pipe connection, from underneath the car, it rolled backwards off of the blocks.  The emergency brake was set....it obviously wasn't adjusted tight enough yet, and unfortunately the car's tranny was in neutral.

Well, I was positioned about the best way you could be, I guess, in a situation like that.......crossways, right behind the front wheels, laying flat.  The car's frame is 8" from the ground, and my chest cavity must be about 9"...I ended up with a cracked rib, at least it feels like one.   :'(

Good thing (for me) that the garage door was down, or I'd probably be pretty f*cked up.  The back of the charger crashed into the garage door and pushed it out about a foot.  The car sustained I guess what could be called minor damage, considering.  The front tire stopped about a foot from my head.

Anyway...this was just...I don't know....a bad deal that fortunately turned out not too bad.  

You guys all be careful when working on your cars. It only takes a split second for things to get away from you.

JB400

That sucks :icon_smile_dissapprove:  Sometimes, we learn our lessons the hard way.  Don't worry about the dint or the chipped paint, it can be fixed.  Just glad your ok :2thumbs:

FastbackJon

Thanks for the post, makes us all take a moment and think twice about things. Sometimes we can all be too eager to get a job done.
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

HeavyFuel

Thanks guys.   

That's right.....just getting in a hurry, maybe a little careless.  Getting pressure from the 'war dept' (see: wife) to get 'er together.

Everyone...take the time to be safe.

Fred

GEEEEZ! Glad you came away mostly unscathed. As you say, it only takes a split second. Things could have been a whole lot worse.
I know it hurts to see the car damaged but luckily, even that was minor.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

tan top

:scared: :errr: yikes  , you was lucky  ,  sorry to see the damage to the charger !! but as you say !! if the door was open .... could of been real bad   :o 
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

charger Downunder

Could of ended up a lot worse, i always put a block of wood behind the wheels as a chock. Never trust a hand brake or a car jack.
[/quote]

XH29N0G

Wow!  Glad you are OK and not worse.  Thanks for posting.  Will give us all more to think about next time we work on our own.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Baldwinvette77

Wow, luckily the door was closed, i always have mine open  :o

Cooter

Yep. Was in college and dumping a 727 Trans in my ol '65 with only a hyd. jack under it. BAM! Next thing I know, I'm being half crushed by it.
NOT good feeling.

Glad you made it out ok.Sometimes, when the boss at work is shouting "Get-r-done" I have to just slow down and force myself to take my time for fear of something like this happening.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

billfury

I'm glad your OK considering what could have happened.I had a good friend get crushed under a car years back because he was always rushing.We told him all the time to get jack stands and to stop using 4x4's and cinder blocks.This time he jacked the car up and didn't even bother to put anything under the car.He just wanted to check something out real fast and move onto the next car.That decision killed him.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on May 29, 2013, 12:59:20 AM
That sucks :icon_smile_dissapprove:  Sometimes, we learn our lessons the hard way.  Don't worry about the dint or the chipped paint, it can be fixed.  Just glad your ok :2thumbs:

Quote from: FastbackJon on May 29, 2013, 01:00:53 AM
Thanks for the post, makes us all take a moment and think twice about things. Sometimes we can all be too eager to get a job done.

A cracked rib sucks, but as you know, it could have been a lot worse but I'm glad to hear that you're ok. Having been on the receiving end of a major injury 2 years ago while working on my car, the two posts above certainly hold true for me.

projectanimal

Glad you are okay!
That is my worst nightmare and think about it each time the car is on jacks.... I'm good about blocking wheels, but that doesn't mean some thing can't shift. 
The big question.... Did you finish the exhaust?!?!   :shruggy: :cheers:
northwest CT

Dino

I'm real glad to see you got away just with a cracked rib.  I just took care of a guy in the hospital that had his jack fail and no jack stands so he took the full brunt of it.  He won't be going home for a while.

Your wellbeing is much more important than anything else, the trunk can be fixed but a crushed thoracic cavity is no joke.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

resq302

Reminds me of when we were putting the engine back into my charger.  We had the front end of the car up on still jacks and my buddy leaned inwards on the driver side fender to help guide the engine into the bay while I was under it trying to get the bell housing to line up with the trans.  Well, my buddy leaned a little too hard on the car and shifted the still jack somehow and down came the car crashing with me under it.  I ended up getting my arm pinned between the torsion bar and the exhaust pipe and freaked me out a lot since the driver side of the car was only being held up by a toppled over still jack.  Luckily the jack was still close by and they got the jack under the k frame and got the car up enough to get my arm uncaught and got me out of there.  Needless to say, it does leave a VERY vivid impression in ones mind.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

HeavyFuel

Quote from: projectanimal on May 29, 2013, 07:01:17 AM
Glad you are okay!
That is my worst nightmare and think about it each time the car is on jacks.... I'm good about blocking wheels, but that doesn't mean some thing can't shift.  
The big question.... Did you finish the exhaust?!?!   :shruggy: :cheers:

Yeah, got the exhaust tighten up last night just before I started this post.....with about 57 jackstands and blocks holding up the car. :yesnod:    Operating the floor jack was a nice reminder to my ribs of what happened.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

Just modified the subject line.....guess I can't spell anymore either. :lol:

Tilar

I used to use the solid concrete blocks until I watched one of those turn to dust when I let the car down on it. Now I have 4 jackstands rated at 5 ton each and still keep a jack under the car holding weight.

Glad you're ok, That definitely could have ended up bad.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

HeavyFuel

Quote from: resq302 on May 29, 2013, 07:33:52 AM
Reminds me of when we were putting the engine back into my charger.  We had the front end of the car up on still jacks and my buddy leaned inwards on the driver side fender to help guide the engine into the bay while I was under it trying to get the bell housing to line up with the trans.  Well, my buddy leaned a little too hard on the car and shifted the still jack somehow and down came the car crashing with me under it.  I ended up getting my arm pinned between the torsion bar and the exhaust pipe and freaked me out a lot since the driver side of the car was only being held up by a toppled over still jack.  Luckily the jack was still close by and they got the jack under the k frame and got the car up enough to get my arm uncaught and got me out of there.  Needless to say, it does leave a VERY vivid impression in ones mind.

Yeow!  That sounds scary.....glad you made it out in one piece.

That goes for everyone.  Thanks for posting your near misses and maybe some 'hits'....makes us all feel better, and we can learn from them. :2thumbs:

My incident was over so quick I don't even know if my breathing picked up.   It was just: "Oh sh*t...BAM...it's over...ok, I'm still alive, and nothing is hurt really bad.  Now I've just got to get this car off my chest."

HeavyFuel

Quote from: Tilar on May 29, 2013, 07:45:00 AM
I used to use the solid concrete blocks until I watched one of those turn to dust when I let the car down on it. Now I have 4 jackstands rated at 5 ton each and still keep a jack under the car holding weight.

Glad you're ok, That definitely could have ended up bad.

The sad part is that I've got four jackstands as well...but getting the car raised to the height of getting the stands under is scary in itself, when you're using a smallish 2.5 ton Craftsman floor jack.  It's a nice jack, it just doesn't go very high.

Another lesson learned....get the right equipment, and then use it.

I am getting dangerously close (no pun intended) to getting this car fired up.  Starting to think that should have been done before making it so pretty.....oh well.  

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95015.msg1200825.html#msg1200825

1970Moparmann

Man, glad your ok.  I have to say, I'm kind of glad you started this thread.

I was just talking to a buddy yesterday about this.  My #1 fear, and uncomfortable aspect, is working under a car and something happens like it did to you.  I usually have 4 jack stands up, even if I only have one end up, with the jack itself as backup.  I'm really careful and feel kind of claustrophobic while under a car.  

Been thinking of biting the bullet and getting a lift in the garage, just always seem to buy parts versus the lift.....

Glad your okay! :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Dino

The only reason I am contemplating paying a mechanic to install my shocks and fix the exhaust is because I have seen too many people get severly hurt. 

stripedelete

Glad you're ok

People sometimes think I'm a f'up for always passing on my mistakes or near misses.  But, I always figure that if it gets through to just one person........

Good post! :2thumbs:

mopartybob

Wow....... That's as close as you can get, another danger when working on the charger is the torsion bar system, the one that adjust front wheel ride height.... all it takes is a momentary lack of concentration and SNAP.... you got a broken wrist or worse....  Glad your OK, you definitely got an angel on your shoulder........  Robert
If life's a Highway,then your soul must be a car....

ws23rt

This is a good topic to revisit as a reminder to all about the risk of taking short cuts. I was selling a 57 imperial and a buyer wanted to get a better look underneath. the car was on the lawn and we used the bumper jack to lift it. I turned away for something and when I got back only his feet were sticking out. I grabbed his feet and pulled him out. Told him to go kill himself somewhere else. When we are under the car and feel nervous get back out and look over the supports again.

472 R/T SE

Almost 10 years ago 3rd week of November my life changed forever.  A buddy sprayed me with sand so I took off after him to get him back.  I followed him over a widows peak & my Banshee's front right tire caught the back of his ATV when I landed in essence ripping the handlebars out of my hands.  I face planted & broke my back @ L1, a piece of my spine shaped as an arrowhead compressed my spinal cord 77%.

My fate happened in less than a minute.  I had just got a $2 million 360ton Leibherr mobile hydraulic crane, my 2nd new crane @ the company.  I don't have to tell you crane rental pays well.
All of it gone...

I stop & talk to people that are loaded up with ATV's heading for the coast whenever I can.  I know that I've made a difference in how they & all my work buddy's ride.  They tell me whenever someone starts getting crazy they remind them that's how Groff got jacked up.

So your story will undoubtedly help others'.  If even only 1 person you made a difference.  Good job & I'm glad we're not hearing about this from someone else if you know what I mean.

NHCharger

Wow, glad to hear you're OK. I work on my cars by myself 99.9% of the time, my shop is 200' behind my house. One of my biggest fears is getting pinned under a car. I always use jackstands and floor jacks, so if one fails I have a back up.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

grdprx

Glad your ok!  I've been there, done that. Really makes you think about it.
Stay safe.

TUFCAT

This thread helps a lot...I think we all need some reminders.  I also did some stupid stuff.  :yesnod:

cdr

VERY GLAD YOU ARE OK!!!!!   1987 my daughter was 2 years old,i had an old chevy p/u with a bad starter solenoid & had parked on a very steep driveway,WELL, i told her to turn the key while i was under the truck hitting the starter with a hammer,i was laying behind the right front tire,she turned the key the truck started & she pulled the gear shifter to reverse & off the truck went,if the wheel had not been turned all the way to the right my head would have been mush. again glad you are ok.

charlie
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

HeavyFuel

Thanks, guys.

These shared experiences will hopefully prevent some pain and suffering.

Has a 'Safety' post ever been started?  Might be a good thing.

ws23rt

Quote from: HeavyFuel on May 29, 2013, 12:02:42 PM
Thanks, guys.

These shared experiences will hopefully prevent some pain and suffering.

Has a 'Safety' post ever been started?  Might be a good thing.

It would be a good thing.. I work in industrial construction and they spend huge amounts of money on orientation and safety training. Too often I hear someone talk about something he did at home that was much easier and quicker than if it was done on the job. We all do it and some are still here to talk about it.

bull

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on May 29, 2013, 10:52:31 AM
Almost 10 years ago 3rd week of November my life changed forever.  A buddy sprayed me with sand so I took off after him to get him back.  I followed him over a widows peak & my Banshee's front right tire caught the back of his ATV when I landed in essence ripping the handlebars out of my hands.  I face planted & broke my back @ L1, a piece of my spine shaped as an arrowhead compressed my spinal cord 77%.

My fate happened in less than a minute.  I had just got a $2 million 360ton Leibherr mobile hydraulic crane, my 2nd new crane @ the company.  I don't have to tell you crane rental pays well.
All of it gone...

I stop & talk to people that are loaded up with ATV's heading for the coast whenever I can.  I know that I've made a difference in how they & all my work buddy's ride.  They tell me whenever someone starts getting crazy they remind them that's how Groff got jacked up.

So your story will undoubtedly help others'.  If even only 1 person you made a difference.  Good job & I'm glad we're not hearing about this from someone else if you know what I mean.

No disrespect to you Mike but I think of you often when I see accidents, knowing how quickly the things we take for granted can be taken away. Just today I saw a car split in half by a telephone pole and knew that person(s) had no idea how their life would change during just a simple trip across town.

Thank God we survive close calls so we can learn from them and be smarter the next time. I have to take blood thinners so I am probably more conscious of safety than the next guy, especially when I am alone. Big jack stands were one of my first purchases when I began restoring my car and every time it goes in the air they are the first thing that goes under it. I've had some close calls myself but nothing serious.

Ryan

We all screw up, glad you are OK  :cheers:
Car will be an easy fix.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

greenpigs

I was going to tack a nut on a rounded bolt of my wheel cylinder that needs to come off(ramcharger). I was set to go then thought of this thread and the fact it wasn't the safest thing to do and decided to drill the bolt out. :Twocents:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

loudmouthaussie

I shiver when I think how I used to trust a trolly/floor jack crawling under my old lowered impala  :slap:

nowadays always; brake on, in park, wheel chocks, jack stands etc etc.
1970 PLYMOUTH SUPERBIRD. 440/6BBL/BENCH/AUTO/VITAMIN C.
1979 FORD RANCHERO GT 351.
1960 AUSTIN HEALEY MK1 BUGEYE SPRITE 1275/4 SPEED.

jessejames

HeavyFuel

Thanks for all the kind words. 

Alot of us have had close calls...or worse.   :'(     :pity:

Remember, and take the time, to be safe.

bill440rt

Scary stuff for sure, no matter how careful you are accidents can & will happen.
Just glad to hear you are OK & did not get hurt.  :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: HeavyFuel on May 30, 2013, 03:29:36 PM

Alot of us have had close calls...or worse.   

That's for sure!   :eek2:

Dino

resq302

Quote from: Dino on May 31, 2013, 07:53:20 AM
Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on May 31, 2013, 07:04:02 AM
Quote from: HeavyFuel on May 30, 2013, 03:29:36 PM

Alot of us have had close calls...or worse.   

That's for sure!   :eek2:

What's your story turbin?

Once upon a time..... In a galaxy, far, far away....       :smilielol:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Dino

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

69rtse4spd

Glad your OK, could have been much worse. 

Brass

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

ws23rt

In local news was a story this week about a 19 yr old found crushed to death under a truck he was working on at a auto repair shop. The hydraulic jack he was using failed. Two things come to mind. He was alone and who ever ran the shop must feel some guilt.
I remember clearly how it was at 19yrs old. We knew what we were doing but pushed the limit to get er done. I have had my close calls and am talking about it. Us old farts have an obligation to share with the new ones what we learned with out dying (or worse).

shart70rt

Ouch - glad you are taking the right lesson from this.

Most of us are getting in to middle age now - an injury can take a lot longer to heal, and hurt a lot more.

Even with something as simple as flat tires, think safety first. Last time I changed a flat on the side of the road, I used the bottle jack that came with my F-150. Of course, the jack failed, and I was doing something unsafe. Sat down under the wheel well with the tire on my lap using my legs to lift the tire to the wheel studs. ended up with my legs pinned by the tire, and had to wait for someone to stop and help me. Was 45 minutes before a deputy stopped to offer assistance.

Only real injury was a pulled muscle in my arm from throwing the bottle jack as far as I could into the woods.

Stephen Hart
1970 Charger RT, 440, console 4-speed, Dana 60 3.54
500 Stroker, Edelbrock Heads, Edelbrock intake, dual 600 CFM Carbs,
Comp Hydraulic Roller
Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch setup, Passon Performance overdrive gearset in 833 18 spline 4 spd.
TTI 2 inch headers and 3 inch exhaust.
Subframe connectors
P-S-T polygraphite suspension
4 wheel disc brakes
Classic Auto Air AC
Billet Performance Serpentine Assy
reassembly in progress

HeavyFuel

It's getting nicer outside and we've got spring fever, itching to get working on the cars.

Remember to be safe.

I thought about leaving the nasty spot on the lid as a reminder of the near-miss last summer, but thought better of it.

Spot paint and blend last weekend.  Turned out nice.  

cudaken

Heavy Fuel, sort of been there and done that!

I was cleaning up the Wheel Well after I installed quarters on the Charger. I did have to take the wheel back off, but was not going to be under the Charger. Like a dumb ass I used a Bottle Jack to lift the car and did not get a jack stand!  :brickwall: While I had my head inside of the Wheel Well, the bottle jack tipped and the Charger came down on the back of my neck! I was limber enough to get out and only damage to me was a buries on the back of my neck and a nasty scare on my left knee from a wheel stud! If my knee had been another inch under the rear end boy my knee would be messed up bad!

Never again!

Cuda Ken
I am back

68 CHARGER R/T

Glad you are ok  . Wow can't even tell that repair you did.   how did you manage to get it so perfect   :2thumbs:

myk

'OP you're wrong.  It was a great weekend because you survived and lived to tell about your ordeal.  Congrats on the repair work...

HeavyFuel

Quote from: myk on April 10, 2014, 05:05:32 AM
'OP you're wrong.  It was a great weekend because you survived and lived to tell about your ordeal.  Congrats on the repair work...

True. :yesnod:  Dodged another bullet.    :2thumbs:

It's probably the rare person that hasn't had a few near misses over the course of time.  Either that or you're not pushing it a little and living' life.

Safety First!

timmycharger

69 OUR/TEA

Heavy,glad you're ok !!! We all can't control when an accident happens for the most part,but the first thing that usually leads up to it,is being in a rush.Who gives a rats ass when it gets done!!!!! When its done,its done !!!!! How many times have we seen these reality car tv shows on the deadline to complete,most being a madhouse of people around the car stepping over eachother.Accident waiting to happen,I.E,our own Graveyard cars dropping cars,chipping paint,etc.
No offense,for them being professionals,sure don't act safety conscioius as they should,especially being broadcast.When they were letting done the FC7 Chally on the 2 post lift,and it pinched the carriage dolly and spit it up and out,....yikes !!!!!! I would have been swearin on that one !!!!!!
I am fortunate to not have to lay under cars anymore as I have lifts now,but even with them,I double and triple check how the cars/trucks etc are sitting on them.You can never to to cautious.
Your life is under these things !!!!!!! Be careful guys !!!!!!