News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

400 backfire through carb...

Started by Bandit72, February 22, 2006, 06:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandit72

been working on the charger for alittle bit and got quite abit done, but i still have a backfire through the carb when i go full throttle...it generally does it once, then runs great...it idles alittle rough too...i'm guessing timing, but i wanted to be sure...when it's idling it also smells like it's flooding out pretty bad and if you let it idle for a long period of time, then rev it up it blows black smoke for about 1/2 a second...what do i need to do. I have a new cap, rotor, wires, and the plugs are all clean....maybe a weak coil?

later  :icon_smile_cool:
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

whitehatspecial

I would first check to make sure the all wires are installed on the dist. cap correctly and in the correct firing order. Make sure #1 is in the correct position first.

If all that checks out let us know.
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

Rolling_Thunder

total timing is probably way advanced...   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Chryco Psycho

a wide open backfire is generally a lean condition , sound like the carb needs to be tuned at idle but maybe not , longer duration cams will smeel rich at idle even if they are set lean due to misfiring cylinders & raw fuel being pushing into the exhaust