News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Car "bogs out"

Started by BubbaDuke, May 11, 2013, 02:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BubbaDuke

So I got my '69 out of storage.  Replaced the alternator, because of issues last year, got some gas, and went for a 30 min or so joy ride.  Ran real nice.  On my way back to the garage I started to bog out. When the car idled it was fine, even if I gave a little gas, but as soon as i gave a lot of gas it would start to mess up, sputter and sound like it would stale. If I released the gas then it would run fine.  I was thinking maybe since I was really low on fuel that the fuel filter was started to plug.  Would this be the cause, or bigger issues....

Thanks
Lets Ride....

JB400

Have you tried adding more fuel to it?  It might be since you're getting low, you're getting into the water/ alcohol/ crud part of the fuel causing it to act badly.  My lawn mower does the same thing.  Add new gas, it runs fine.  You might try adding a fuel treatment to it as well.  I use Seafoam.

BubbaDuke

Yea, it was on empty, or dang near, when I put gas in it.  Its about 1/2 now.
Lets Ride....

Hard Charger

clean out the carburetor.

Cooter

It sounds backwards, but it really is better to store a car with a FULL tank of fuel. NO place for air pocket to form moisture. With this swill we call fuel today, the Ethanol causes moisture to be drawn to it. Once that happens, you need to burn through it.

Is the tank original? or replaced with new? Fuel pump? How long did it sit? Plug wires, cap, rotor, Ignition points or electronic?

You say "issues"? What kind? Burnt wires? Dead battery running on alternator? There's ALOT of problems with same symptoms here.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

greymag

How old is your fuel pump? Ethanol will eat through the bladder in the fuel pump .

BubbaDuke

Last year I had problems starting it to.  replaced fuel pump (mechanical), changed coil, and distributor cap, rotor and wires. Was about to put a carb kit in, but a buddy found a lose wire on my ignition switch, so it only sparked sometimes.  Fixed and ran great the rest of the season.  When I stored it, I forgot to fill it up with fuel, before the snow fell, but i did put Stabilizer in and ran it for awhile.  I'm thinking maybe some rust or something like that got into the fuel filter, because it idles real nice, only until i give it a lot of gas does it peter out.  As for the alternator, for some reason it wiggled loss and I think it was off center, so it messed it up.  It ran fine for the little while I did drive it.

Thanks
Lets Ride....

JPL

Sounds like a gummy carb in the secondaries, get a can of carb cleaner and go nuts.  :Twocents:

BubbaDuke

Ok so I might have solved my problem.  My dad and I were looking over the car today.  As I started it and ran it a little he noticed a spark coming from the wires that run from my bulk head to the alternator.  Pulled all the tape off and there where all but maybe 2 wires burnt badly.  Also the positive wire to the coil came right off.  Not sure why this happened.  Could I have messed something up when hooking up the new alternator, or maybe because of the wire from the coil. I haven't re wired it yet, but just curious.

Thanks.
Lets Ride....