News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ever seen a Red Dukes of Hazzard clone ?

Started by ACUDANUT, May 25, 2013, 09:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona R/T SE

"She is Christine, a 1958 Plymouth Fury"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ5M11m9vI0\

I don't care if they used pink pintos to portray the car in the movie...

The 1983 theatrical trailer says it all.

Cooter

No one is Debating that point Daytona R/T SE, and just like some of you Hemi/Daytona/Superbird/C500 guys, Some of us DO care.

YOu know full and well if there was a movie coming out that portrayed a 1969 Hemi Daytona in the Title, but used a 2012 Challenger you, and the like, would be all over it. Case closed.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Cooter on June 01, 2013, 10:28:03 AM
No one is Debating that point Daytona R/T SE, and just like some of you Hemi/Daytona/Superbird/C500 guys, Some of us DO care.

YOu know full and well if there was a movie coming out that portrayed a 1969 Hemi Daytona in the Title, but used a 2012 Challenger you, and the like, wpuld be all over it. Case closed.

Allow me to clarify my point:

"Real life" Belvederes were made up to look like the "Character" car... "1958 Plymouth Fury"

I get that.

"Christine" is supposed to be a '58 Fury.

No where in the book or the movie story line is the car referred to as a "Belvedere"

The part in the movie of "58 Fury" is played by modified Belvederes.

That's it.

Case closed.

richRTSE

here's the correct GL color....  :2thumbs:

Cooter

Quote from: richRTSE on June 01, 2013, 05:53:16 PM
here's the correct GL color....  :2thumbs:

Now that is funny. Sadly, it's true as well... :2thumbs:
Was at a show here yesterday and a bunch of the so-called "Experts" were out in full force. One says "I thought the GL was a '69 Charger?"
I reply "It was". Replies, "Why do you have this one painted up like it then?"
reply,"Um, huh?"
"Well, isn't this one a 1970?"(Staring right at my '69 Clone)
"Eye roll"...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

Did you ask him what made him think it wasn't a 69?

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on June 02, 2013, 08:42:55 AM
Did you ask him what made him think it wasn't a 69?

Shawn, sometimes, if you begin to wallow in the mud with a pig, you soon realize the pig is enjoying it...

No, I stopped trying after hearing bout how this dude's SS396 Chevelle outran every "Hemi" that ever lived in dudes hometown let-alone how he knew my car musta been a 1970.

However, I was impressed by how many knew by the "pad" that it musta been a 413, or 440 though. Alotta times I get the typical "So, Is that a 318, or.....383....what?"

Ghoste

Yeah I can see your point. Engine id I can understand, but telling you your car is a 70 seems dumb.  I know the tail lights could throw him off but surely if he knows the GL is a 69 then he should know the tail light shape?  Oh well.

Cooter

You shoulda heard the comment from the Guy that had the 1968 SS Camaro next to me...Whoooo Weee...Some WHOPPERS coming from that old geezr, but I degress, Who am I to question the logic/opinons of someone who bought it in 1971...Afterall, he MUST be correct as I wasn't born yet.

I mean, surely a 350 SS Camaro actually did run low 9's in the 1/4 mile with a straight gear back in 1974. Surely he actually DID outrun everybody on the street. Even that Blown alcohol Hemi RR everybody kept talking bout.

Baldwinvette77

maybe the fact that your GL has the marker and reverse lights still on it (i think) through him off, since the tv cars shaved them off  :shruggy:

Ghoste

Yeah Cooter I always get a big kick out of the letters to editor in Hemmings Muscle Machines.  Every issue has a few in which somebody thanks them for some obscure model in the previous issue and then they proceed to talk about how they or their buddy had one new back in the day and it was the fastest car in town and was never beaten by anything ever (they often cite Hemi Mopars for some reason).
I always chuckle and wonder, if none of these guys ever got beaten, who were they racing?  I mean, somebody had to be losing right?

Cooter

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on June 02, 2013, 09:41:45 AM
maybe the fact that your GL has the marker and reverse lights still on it (i think) through him off, since the tv cars shaved them off  :shruggy:
Nah, with these cars, you always have one or two 'experts', whether your car is a Hemi clone, or a GL that think you know absolutely NOTHING bout the car you've worked on for over 4 years.
Well, I DID have a bunch of people coming up to the car and asking bout how it was to own it. I simply told them the truth instead of making owning the GL sound like all fun and games when it clearly is NOT.
It takes a VERY patient and understanding perosn to own the GL. I told many it was a HUGE PITA after 13 years with him. However, I do it not for the PITA part, but for the fun parts which usually outweigh to really bad parts.
Many would come up to the car with the usual mindless drivel about the show/car/movie etc. and remark how the GL was NEVER a Straight gear like mine is.
I paid it no mind, but it still seems to disappoint the kids when some douche does that where everybody can hear it. WTF are they to put down my junk when they have none to compare to? Plus side was NOBODY mentioned being incorrect color. Thank goodness, although it is technically, 'Correct'. One DID however mention that it was the same model used in DMCL. I told him if I decide to go the other way, I'd certainly be doing that yellow/black car.

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Cooter on June 02, 2013, 09:58:05 AM
Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on June 02, 2013, 09:41:45 AM
Nah, with these cars, you always have one or two 'experts', whether your car is a Hemi clone, or a GL that thiunk you know absolutely NOTHING bout the car you've worked on for over 4 years.
Well, I DID have a bunch of people coming up to the car and asking bout how it was to own it. I simply told them the truth instead of making owning the GL sound like all fun and games when it clearly is NOT.
It takes a VERY patient and understanding perosn to own the GL. I told many it was a HUGE PITA after 13 years with him. However, I do it not for the PITA part, but for the fun parts which usually outweigh to really bad parts.
Many would come up to the car with the usual mindless drivel about the show/car/movie etc. and remark how the GL was NEVER a Straight gear like mine is.
I paid it no mind, but it still seems to disappoint the kids when some douche does that where everybody can hear it. WTF are they to put down my junk when they have none to compare to? Plus side was NOBODY mentioned being incorrect color. Thank goodness. One DID however mention that it was the samew model used in DMCL. I told him if I decide to go the other way, I'd certainly be doing that yellow/black car.

i guess so, i know an old body man i used to work with said he had a 1969 chrysler road runner, 383, four speed, , i told him " i think they were plymouths" innocently, but he insisted it was a chrysler, i didnt argue since he was about 4 times my age at the time and who am i to talk about cars that were rusting away in scrap yards decades before i was born  :rotz:

JB400

Quote from: Ghoste on June 02, 2013, 09:50:50 AM
Yeah Cooter I always get a big kick out of the letters to editor in Hemmings Muscle Machines.  Every issue has a few in which somebody thanks them for some obscure model in the previous issue and then they proceed to talk about how they or their buddy had one new back in the day and it was the fastest car in town and was never beaten by anything ever (they often cite Hemi Mopars for some reason).
I always chuckle and wonder, if none of these guys ever got beaten, who were they racing?  I mean, somebody had to be losing right?
My guess, either a Volkswagon Beetle or something with a straight 6

Mike DC

QuoteNah, with these cars, you always have one or two 'experts', whether your car is a Hemi clone, or a GL that think you know absolutely NOTHING bout the car you've worked on for over 4 years.

That's the part that never ceases to amaze me.  

How does he think you got it titled and registered without knowing what year it is?

Screen shots from the TV show are the only thing that ever shuts these guys up.  They still won't concede you're right, but they will probably accept that "a few of the cars" were done your way.   

69wannabe

I had the uniform on my 68 for 11 years and I had the hemi orange paint on it. My friend has a General Lee and his is hemi orange also but somehow they were a different shade than each other. I guess it could depend who mixes the paint and which brand of paint is being used and etc... Orange is a weird color to work with for sure!! I will say that a couple years back me and my friend spent the weekend with Henry Holman and he said that the first three cars from warner bros were hemi orange. After the cars were totaled (which was quickly) warner bros came up with two more cars which were painted by H & H body shop with the flame red paint since they were doing a lot of corvette's at the time they had a lot of that paint extra and it was close enough to the other orange to go ahead and use it. I have no idea after that what color was used on the California cars but I hear it was mostly flame red. The way I see it either color is correct or any red-orange paint that looks good is correct!