News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ever seen a Red Dukes of Hazzard clone ?

Started by ACUDANUT, May 25, 2013, 09:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

I saw one today. It was not Orange at all.

Baldwinvette77

i saw a blue one with a 50 star american flag and a "10" on the doors  :shruggy:

A383Wing

so that one was upside down in a ditch?

Baldwinvette77

Daytona R/T SE

I thought they were all "1975 Corvette Flame Red" :shruggy:

Indygenerallee

:lol: "Corvette flame RED" is more Orange than "Hemi orange"!!!!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Mike DC

Yeah, there are two "Corvette Flame Red" shades, one from the late 60s and another from the mid-70s.

The GL shade was the yellower one from the 70s.  Also known as "Corvette Orange Flame."  It's pretty near the color of those reddish-orange 5 gallon buckets at Home Depot.  Sorta like a brighter version of the Hemi Orange engine (not body) paint shade.  

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 26, 2013, 04:56:46 AM

Yeah, there are two "Corvette Flame Red" shades, one from the late 60s and another from the mid-70s.

The GL shade was the yellower one from the 70s.  Also known as "Corvette Orange Flame."  It's pretty near the color of those reddish-orange 5 gallon buckets at Home Depot.  Sorta like a brighter version of the Hemi Orange engine (not body) paint shade.  

Home depot buckets are 1975 corvette orange? Thats classy  :coolgleamA:

areibel

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on May 25, 2013, 09:34:08 PM
i saw a blue one with a 50 star american flag and a "10" on the doors  :shruggy:
That's a General Grant, someone's idea to make a Yankee version.. 

Cooter

Justy as with the "01" and "General Lee" Scripts back in the 80's when people had to attempt to paint 'em on, you give 100 people cars, and Not nare one of 'em are correct. THANK GOD for CrazyC's graphics. Now, even the most Dislexic dumbass can have the "correct" graphics. Now, if someone would just show them then correct way to mix red/orange paint.

"Hemi Orange" more mimics the Original first 5 episode's GL, while "That flame red" whatever, kinda makes the "California" cars look.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

skip68

What color is yours Cooter?    I painted mine 69 hugger orange.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

SUPERSTAR14

Quote from: Cooter on May 26, 2013, 09:47:22 AM
Justy as with the "01" and "General Lee" Scripts back in the 80's when people had to attempt to paint 'em on, you give 100 people cars, and Not nare one of 'em are correct. THANK GOD for CrazyC's graphics. Now, even the most Dislexic dumbass can have the "correct" graphics. Now, if someone would just show them then correct way to mix red/orange paint.

"Hemi Orange" more mimics the Original first 5 episode's GL, while "That flame red" whatever, kinda makes the "California" cars look.

Cooter, what color did you paint yours?
-Pat

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

SUPERSTAR14

Quote from: SUPERSTAR14 on May 26, 2013, 10:08:47 AM

-Pat

Quote from: skip68 on May 26, 2013, 10:08:18 AM
What color is yours Cooter?    I painted mine 69 hugger orange.  

That's funny :smilielol:

Cooter

Quote from: SUPERSTAR14 on May 26, 2013, 10:08:47 AM

-Pat

If I told you, I'd have to....Well you know....

Actually, nobody can match it as it's a custom paint. Mixed from actual paint chips off Real SCREEN used General Lee. When I went into the paint store, I had three different reps mixing paints. Not ONE OF THEM WAS THE SAME COLOR. All where different shades. So, I decided, since NOBODY actually can PROVE what the hell color was on the General Lee, just like with Christine's red, I would mix my own custom color. When someone can show me the actual guys that purchased the paint for the show in 1977-78-79, PROVE who he is, where he got the paint, prove the "code" does exist, prove that the paint he purchased actually went onto the car used in the series, Prove that one of these cars with that paint on it still exists today, then and ONLY then, will I EVER believe that color was "The color". Anything else is just hear-say/guesswork at best.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Mike DC

IMHO people would be a lot less concerned with the correct colors of TV/movie cars if they understood how severely the filming process affects colors.  The crews would not even try to make a color shade judgment until they had seen it on 35mm.  How it looked in real life might not be relevant.  

Same General Lee, same day/time, parked facing the same direction - but two different photos:

===================================
===================================

And sometimes the film color might be purposely altered just for artistic reasons.

The "Gone in 60 Seconds" remake car's exact paint shade is well known.  

But the movie footage was so heavily filtered & tinted  . . . a different shade might arguably still look more screen-accurate.  

A383Wing

Mike...are those 2 Lee pics taken with same or different camera?

Bryan

Mike DC

I don't know whether it was the same camera or not.

The camera itself is not the main issue. 
It's more about the lighting conditions, the film stock, and the development process.  Or the light sensor on a digital image, I suppose. 

Orange is a particularly difficult color to deal with.  It's too close to human skin tones.  Film coloring is not an exact science and they always have to make it the top priority to get any humans in the image looking acceptable. 

Cooter

All of the "on film it looks different" is beside the point if someone can PROVE to me the actual Color/s used on the TV series on the General Lee. Please offer Proof in documentation form, that way, it'll look "correct" in any light, on camera, with John S. in it, etc.

Without the definative proof, all else if "Guesswork" at best no matter who filmed it, shot it, how it looked to dude in the corner, etc.

Without the proof, EVERYBODY'S "Corvette Flame Red"/"Hemi Orange"/EV2/"Hugger Orange"/"Plain 'ol RedishOrange Custom mix"/etc. is 'Correct'....

ACUDANUT

The GL I saw was as red as the middle of the Dixie Flag.

Mike DC

QuoteThe GL I saw was as red as the middle of the Dixie Flag.

Wow, now THAT never happened on the TV cars.

-----------------------------------

QuoteAll of the "on film it looks different" is beside the point if someone can PROVE to me the actual Color/s used on the TV series on the General Lee. Please offer Proof in documentation form, that way, it'll look "correct" in any light, on camera, with John S. in it, etc.

Without the definative proof, all else if "Guesswork" at best no matter who filmed it, shot it, how it looked to dude in the corner, etc.

Without the proof, EVERYBODY'S "Corvette Flame Red"/"Hemi Orange"/EV2/"Hugger Orange"/"Plain 'ol RedishOrange Custom mix"/etc. is 'Correct'....

Mopar's OEM factory shades had some inconsistency depending on the assembly plant & build date too.  But that doesn't mean that a restorer can call a B5 blue car "factory correct" with any shade of blue he feels like using.

The Corvette orange color was the INTENDED color for the majority of the TV prop cars, and the other cars were never radically different.  A bunch surviving cars/parts and several TV crewmembers' memories all agree on this.  

Personally I don't give a crap what color people use on their GLs.  It's their car.  
I'm just saying we have a ballpark idea of what the color originally was, for whom it may concern.

Cooter

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 27, 2013, 12:01:40 AM

Mopar's OEM factory shades had some inconsistency depending on the assembly plant & build date too.  But that doesn't mean that a restorer can call a B5 blue car "factory correct" with any shade of blue he feels like using.

The Corvette orange color was the INTENDED color for the majority of the TV prop cars, and the other cars were never radically different.  A bunch surviving cars/parts and several TV crewmembers' memories all agree on this.  

Personally I don't give a crap what color people use on their GLs.  It's their car.  
I'm just saying we have a ballpark idea of what the color originally was, for whom it may concern.

We have this same debate in the Christine world as well. One of the Movie's producers couldn't even get the year/ make/ model correct. Called it a "1957 Plymouth Fury"...

Christine was a 1958 Plymouth BELVEDERE. NO Fury's were available in red and white. Only Buckskin beige, which is ironic, as most of the DOH TV people seem to think that was the color for the interior as well.

bill440rt

That is strange...  :scratchchin:
Factory color aside, it was always my interpretation that based on the story Christine was a '58 Plymouth Fury. I do not recall hearing it being called a Belvedere anywhere throughout the movie, or in the book.
Even the movie poster states it's a Fury.

IIRC, the way the story goes the original owner special ordered it in blood red. This is in the novel. In the film, as it's coming down the assembly line, among a sea of beige ones it's the only one in red.

Not trying to hijack.  :cheers:
Yes, colors look different in pictures/film.
Yes, the GL is orange. Park 20 together and they'll all be a different color.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce