News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Good Idea? Refreshed Carb on Motor First Fire.

Started by HeavyFuel, May 24, 2013, 10:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

I'm getting ready for the first fireup of my rebuilt motor.

The "search" feature has been really helping me out.....but I have a concern I can't find anywhere.

My brother's main worry about the first fire up is having the carb run well through the cam break in period.  That makes total sense.....since you want the motor to fire and run for about 20 minutes.

My stock Carter AVS sat on the shelf for about 5 years until last winter, when I tore it completely apart, thoroughly cleaned it and put in a kit.

The carb is unproven at this point.  Is it a big risk to use this carb during the intitial fire of the motor?  Or is the Carter a pretty reliable piece, and my chances of it working just fine for the fire up are pretty good?

Should I borrow a working carb from somewhere for the intial fire?  Or take my carb to a working 440 and see if it works OK?

skip68

I'd barrow one or try yours on another motor like you said.   You don't want to much gas dumped into a fresh motor and washing bearings if the carb is to rich.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

cdr

Quote from: skip68 on May 24, 2013, 11:44:53 AM
I'd barrow one or try yours on another motor like you said.   You don't want to much gas dumped into a fresh motor and washing bearings if the carb is to rich.   

what skippy said  :2thumbs:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Brass