News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4 point Rollbar

Started by DonC1, May 24, 2013, 12:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonC1

I am looking for a manufacturer of a good aftermarket 4- 6 point rollbar for my RR that fits tight to the door posts and roof, anyone have experience or have bought/installed such a product?

Patronus

I just got an 8 point from Rhodes Racing. I thought the quality was top-notch, everything fit really good. I did cut about an inch out of the cross bar behind the seats, but that was it so far. Nice tubing and a nice fit. I will add.. if you plan on racing, do not grind the welds... ask me how I know.. :brickwall:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

pandamarie

I just installed an 8 point in my Daytona clone, you can find the links in the aero pages. If you do front bars, from the main hoop to A pillar and down you will need to take measurements to get them tight to the A pillar, go to chassis works.com Chris Alton's web site and they have a page that will walk you through taking the measurements.
I didn't have my dash in when taking measurements and dash has to be modified a little to fit.

DonC1

Thanks very much for the feedback!

Mike DC

IMHO if you plan to spend any time cruising on public roads then I vote to pay up for a custom bent job.  

Catalog cages can be perfectly safe if you buy a good kit and it gets installed well.  But they are never going to fit the car as well as a custom cage.  The dimensions of individual 40yo cars vary too much for that to be feasible.  And a badly fitting rollcage is a very effective way to make the car no fun to ride in.    

Budnicks

Quote from: Patronus on May 25, 2013, 07:38:16 PM
I just got an 8 point from Rhodes Racing. I thought the quality was top-notch, everything fit really good. I did cut about an inch out of the cross bar behind the seats, but that was it so far. Nice tubing and a nice fit. I will add.. if you plan on racing, do not grind the welds... ask me how I know.. :brickwall:
I have use Chris Alston stuff & had good luck with mild steel Competition Engineering 4-6-8pt kits a few times from Jegs, not too bad for what they are... you can probably get a better/tighter fit if you do a custom bend job, find someone with a mandrel pipe bender, I have a friend Jim B. that worked for Chris Alston Chassis Works in Sacramento, he bent up a few for me...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Cooter

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 28, 2013, 02:07:57 PM

IMHO if you plan to spend any time cruising on public roads then I vote to pay up for a custom bent job.  

Catalog cages can be perfectly safe if you buy a good kit and it gets installed well.  But they are never going to fit the car as well as a custom cage.  The dimensions of individual 40yo cars vary too much for that to be feasible.  And a badly fitting rollcage is a very effective way to make the car no fun to ride in.    

Mike, couldn't have said it better myself. I have a custom 8 point cage in the Dart. For some reason or nuther, It was one helluva lot easier to get in and out of with those Perm. door bars about 15 years ago.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

ws23rt

Quote from: Patronus on May 25, 2013, 07:38:16 PM

This is a good reminder. Finish and function are not the same thing. If a weld is on the edge of being good enough grinding it will take that edge off.