News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is best: NEW repro guages or having originals rebuilt?

Started by Kern Dog, May 21, 2013, 01:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

I was in Van Nuys recently for their annual Spring Fling car show. I spoke with the guys at the Classic Industries booth. They have a 20% off special ending on May 26th. I'm thinking of getting new guages for the Charger. I'm just wondering if anyone here has experience with these guages. They are priced at $80 for each of the 4 small guages and $300 for the speedo. I already have a new repro tach. Well, not new, but it was new in 2003.

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

moparsr2fast

I have the reproduction 4 small gauges in my 70 Charger cluster, and have had no trouble with them. Once installed, you can't tell them from the originals.  :2thumbs:
Bob

70 Charger 500
     2001 Ram 2500 Sport
        2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
  2006 Dodge Charger Daytona

Kern Dog

My fuel gauge in the car always reads 1/4 behind what is actually in the tank. At full, the guage reads 3/4. If a new guage actually read correctly, I'd wig out. The temp guage reads lower too. The oil pressure guage crapped out last year but the ammeter still works like new. I'd only replace the speedo because I want everything to look new.

1974dodgecharger

ammeter never fails the only POS item not needed never fails :rotz: :icon_smile_big:

Mike DC

QuoteMy fuel gauge in the car always reads 1/4 behind what is actually in the tank. At full, the guage reads 3/4. If a new guage actually read correctly, I'd wig out.

It might be the sending unit in the tank.  Even if the gauge and the SU are both basically in working order, neither part is all that precisely designed/built.  The tolerances between things might just be stacked up wrong.  A slight tweaking in the angle of the floater arm may correct the problem with the gauge reading.

twenty mike mike

I was planning to get the OER gauges, the brand Classic sells, but I recently got an OER fuel sending unit from them and it was DOA. The sending unit was made in China, and it was not impressive, either from a finish standpoint or from the grinding noise the wiper made when the arm was moved. I got a Spectra Premium to replace it (made in Mexico) and it's completely superior.

On the other hand, guys here have complained about the tachs from Charger Specialties, which are made in the U.S.

If you get the gauges, let us know how they work out.

bill440rt

I have a Charger Specialties tach in my car.
The font reads differently vs an original. I had them white faced, so the guys at Redline had to match the font so it would read correctly.
The clock gears are plastic, mine crapped out within the first year. So I guess you could say the clock works just like factory!  :icon_smile_big:
I'll probably pull it again over the winter & have the clock gone thru. Complete POS. I bet the Classic repros are much better.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

b5blue

All but the ALT gauge require a solid state voltage limiter from OEM if you read the fine print. The GOOD news is the ALT gauge, it's rated @ 60 Amp not 30/40 like factory. I have the OEM ALT gauge and will reface the rest of the cluster sometime soon.  :2thumbs: