News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A 'back in the day' question for old timers about Charger sightings

Started by bull, May 23, 2013, 02:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

There had been a long drought of boring Mopars between, say, 1975 and roughly the early 90s (that time frame is debatable) when the Viper came out to play but since that time there's been a small resurgence of muscle cars from the big three. For me, I think of the excitement of the 2008 Challenger introduction and how that restored my faith in Chrysler, at least partially. To this day I still take time to ogle one when I see one but I have to admit the thrill has subsided somewhat because I rarely go a day without spotting 2-3.

That's the backstory to my question for those of you who were of, or close to, driving age when the Charger was first released. When Chargers commonly roamed the streets of America was that pretty much how it was for you too? Or was there as much of a thrill then as there is today when you spotted one? Considering their rarity now I can't imagine the thrill being quite as big then when you probably saw at least a couple every week. That and the fact that they were mixed in with Satellites/Roadrunners/GTXs, Cudas, Challengers, etc. I would have been 2 years old when my favorite 68 body style was released so by the time I was old enough to pay attention we were well into the boring era, and by the time I got my first Charger at the age of 15 a genuine muscle car was a rare sight.

So what do you think? Did the initial thrill subside eventually or were you almost hanging out the window of your AMC Pacer just to get a closer look at every one of them that passed by?

Kern Dog

I was born in 1965. I was a car guy from when I was little. I used to watch the cars coming down my street and I could tell a Ford from a Chevy. We must have not had many Dodges in the neighborhood, because I don't remember many.
My dad used to sell cars. We moved from Michigan to CA in 1968. In 70-72, he sold new cars at Fair Chrysler-Plymouth in Sacramento. He would talk about movies like Bullitt and Vanishing Point. He spoke of the 340 Dusters and Cudas from the dealership. Even with all of that, I didn't form an obsession with the Charger until 1979 when I first saw The Dukes of Hazzard. Yeah, it annoys some people to know that a silly TV show was so influential to so many people, but it certainly was for me. I wanted a Charger and I didn't care if it was a 68, 69 or a 70. With next to zero mechanical expertise, my first car HAD to be mechanically solid. In 1982, even solid running 318 cars were $1500 or more. Once I spotted a 70 in F8 green with a white top. I had $400 in savings but the guy wanted $1500. dad was too stingy to loan me the difference. I ended up buying a 69 Dart for $400.
Over the years I went to the Chevy side but came back to Ma Mopar in 2000 when I bought my 70. Oddly, it was also F8 with a white top. I'm sure this was a common combination, but it sure would be interesting if it were the same car.

b5blue

Ahh back in the day........born in 55 myself I was 15 by 1970. It was an all you can eat buffet with a bewildering mix available. How could you pick? SS GTX GTO Cobra they were all here and there like a tablespoon of pepper dropped on a white plate. Everywhere, but just out of reach for a 15 year old.
  The supply dried up very quickly when insurance for young drivers cost per year as much as the car cost to buy. By 75 they were all getting rare for sightings.

bull

They were also dirt cheap around then too. As soon as the mpg regulations started hitting home people were dropping them for next to nothing... for a while.

Cooter

ALOT of the 'old timers' I've talked with about this very thing seem to have the same reasoning in their replies.

"Well, you gotta understand. Back then, these were just cars and not too many cept them 'street freaks' were buying a brand new car that was anywhere from $100-$150/month, got about 6 MPG, and used oil like crazy. Not to mention the fact that if they ran it hard, they usually blew it up. No, we had 'em, but they weren't around like they are today. You see people who can't even afford to buy a practical new car, let alone a Musclecar with 500 HP, yet there they are. Momma's driving to the store in it. Back then, not too many women wanted a car that didn't have PS,PB,A/C,etc. They didn't care bout HP, just wanted a practical car."
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

areibel

What Cooter said!
They weren't anything special, just a car to most people.  I always liked the styling of the Chargers, I had an uncle that bought a brand new red 69 with a white interior and I still remember that one- it was the one that got me hooked.  But for the average person you could go for a new Mustang, Camaro, Firebird, Goat, 442- just pick your brand. 
The hot rod guys were still drooling over '50 Mercs and Ford Vicky coupes, new cars didn't count for much!  426's were expensive, they'd be searchng the junk yards for 392 or 354 Hemis to build.

Baldwinvette77

so what youre trying to say is, i didnt miss much? cool  :coolgleamA:

XH29N0G

That said, from the perspective of a 6 year old boy, it was pretty neat to see a 70 charger, a 70 purple super bee, and a green 68 fastback mustang parked side by side out front of our townhouse.  Ours was the charger.  The others belonged to our neighbor who was a policeman.  There were others in that parking lot, but I thought our little corner of it was best.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

maxwellwedge

I think they were a little bit more than "just cars". There was a whole vibe going on back then. Free love, Vietnam, mind expanding drugs and music (awesome music) and of course the factory horsepower race....the anticipation of who would out-do each other etc. So yes - they were our year round "drivers" but there was also more excitement attached to them back then. So..... when we saw a Charger or anything else - we always wanted to know what "package" it had in it.

moparstuart

Quote from: maxwellwedge on May 23, 2013, 07:30:49 AM
I think they were a little bit more than "just cars". There was a whole vibe going on back then. Free love, Vietnam, mind expanding drugs and music (awesome music) and of course the factory horsepower race....the anticipation of who would out-do each other etc. So yes - they were our year round "drivers" but there was also more excitement attached to them back then. So..... when we saw a Charger or anything else - we always wanted to know what "package" it had in it.
stop looking at my package
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Pete in NH

I was I my early 20's in the late 60's when muscle cars roamed the streets. I think Cooter called it correctly. People wanted practical transportation so most Chargers and Satellites were plain old 318 cars With A/C, power steering, automatics and other comfort options. Being a Mopar guy I would look at any new Chrysler product I saw on the road. But to see a GTX or anything with R/T badges was a rare treat. Even Road Runners were no too common in spite of their lower cost. Those were the days, cars were uniquely styled and every manufacturer had their own look. Every September the new car introductions were exciting. Nothing like the cookie cutter cars of today.

areibel

Quote from: Pete in NH on May 23, 2013, 08:31:44 AM
Those were the days, cars were uniquely styled and every manufacturer had their own look. Every September the new car introductions were exciting. Nothing like the cookie cutter cars of today.
I remember those big events!  They actually used to cover the windows of the dealerships with roll paper or white wash when the new models were brought into the show room, they wouldn't even let you see them before the unveiling date.

RECHRGD

Quote from: Pete in NH on May 23, 2013, 08:31:44 AM
I was I my early 20's in the late 60's when muscle cars roamed the streets. I think Cooter called it correctly. People wanted practical transportation so most Chargers and Satellites were plain old 318 cars With A/C, power steering, automatics and other comfort options. Being a Mopar guy I would look at any new Chrysler product I saw on the road. But to see a GTX or anything with R/T badges was a rare treat. Even Road Runners were no too common in spite of their lower cost. Those were the days, cars were uniquely styled and every manufacturer had their own look. Every September the new car introductions were exciting. Nothing like the cookie cutter cars of today.

I agree....I was born in 1948 and grew up in the Southern California car culture.  There were probably more high performance cars in that part of the country than anywhere else.  Every stop light on Colorado blvd. was a potential Christmas tree.  My first new car was a '68 R/T.  They were our daily drivers, but special at the same time.  Most guys could rattle off the different engine options of every car, regardless of the make.  Great days......
13.53 @ 105.32

68X426

The original question - is the thrill now the same as the thrill then? My answer is yes, for me, and most anyone who came of age in 68-70.

Consider: there were no car shows then. Not like today. Sure there were cruises, and hang outs, and happenings. But there wasn't a car show culture back in my day (born on date '57, no expiration date yet).

So the thrill was right there on the street. Today some of the thrill is at a show too, and on the street.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

68X426

Speaking of cruising in SoCal, here's a flashback:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,63742.0.html

I stand by what I wrote years ago about cruising Van Nuys in the 70s - quoting me: "It was a glorious time to have a car, a girl, and friends. I was lucky and didn't even know it."

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

chargerboy69

Sorry to hyjack Curtis' thread. .  This is also for the "Old Timers"

When did these things begin to rust?  Buy the time I was in high school (early 90's) these cars were 22 years old.  Every single Charger I went to look at back then was a rusted out mess, sure there were the exceptions, but for the most part, most were rotting away. Today, it is not uncommon at all to see 20 year old cars running around in great shape.  When I was in high school, I never saw a Charger, or really any old Mopar running around.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

68X426

They started to rust the day they left the factory. I swear to god I am not joking.

Back then most could be dead from rust in under 10 years. You had to work at keeping the rust away.

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: bull on May 23, 2013, 05:53:33 AM
They were also dirt cheap around then too. As soon as the mpg regulations started hitting home people were dropping them for next to nothing... for a while.

I remember those days of panic...

ws23rt

I was at my driving age in 65. I was 14. At 15 had a permit and was legal with a licensed driver with me. So I grew up and into cars when there were many cars from the 1950s still running around. There were real changes from year to year then and with a short glimpse of a corner of any of the big three I could tell year, make and model as could most of my friends. It was almost a game (but too easy cause we were seldom wrong). I became captivated with mopar because of the hemi.
It was a thrill to see these running around, all makes and something new every year. Oh and to be able to buy a 427 cobra from a ford show room was cool  sorta like a viper was when it came out--though a lot of money for us kids--and not very practical cause would only fit one girl at a time.
It was the norm in many places to gather in the evenings and circle around a loop down town to show off to each other and play the mating game.
My favorite was the charger (68-69 , 70 was ok). Since they made so many cars (all makes) the thrill was to spot the ones with "a package" sometimes tough to do cause some would remove clues so they could lurk at stop lights.
Those days faded fast from 71 on. A short period of more glitz and less guts then into sameness.
Bringing these cars back brings back some memories but if it were not for the great styling it would not be as much fun. Art is something every one likes. They don't need to know what it is to know they like it.

Cooter

Along the same lines Of rust issues, I once asked why no one wanted undercoating under these cars. Answer: "Cause they weren't meant to last past 6-8 years."

I still do not understand why NOBODY asks for it at dealers anymore. Especially, in the rust  prone areas up North.

I see 'em come in the shop all the time eat up within 4 years. NEW cars I mean.. The older cars weren't rust proofed as well as today'scars due to technology becoming more available at a decent price tag.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

ACUDANUT

Plum Crazy 68

At 7 years old in 1972 I had those redline hotwheels and one was a purple charger.  I spent my childhood time as a passenger looking to see if I could find that car.  Never did see a purple one then, but now I have one in my garage.

I do remember the mid to late seventies as the older kids were driving the muscle cars no one wanted.  The sixties were when they were new, but 10 years later was the best time to find them being used and raced.

ACUDANUT

I saw a lot of Match 1 Mustangs when I was a kid.  My Dad always had to correct me and say Mock 1. lol :lol:

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on May 23, 2013, 03:08:36 AM
My dad used to sell cars. We moved from Michigan to CA in 1968. In 70-72, he sold new cars at Fair Chrysler-Plymouth in Sacramento.

Bought a new '68 GTX from that dealer.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Pete in NH

Yes, once the oil embargoes and gas shortages of the mid to late 70's hit you had to practically give muscle cars away. By the early 80's with cars like the K cars hitting the street the days of the big V8 were over. The B blocks were gone and the LA's from Chrysler had been de-smogged to the point where they just about ran. I took my 71 Charger 383 off the road as a daily driver in the early 80's because it was clear by then we would never see the likes of it again and it was something special.

I agree with Cooter on the undercoating it was a really low cost factory option something like $22 for the hood pad and undercoating. I ordered it on my 71 and 40 something years later the stuff is still solidly on the whole underside of the car. it has done a great job in preserving it.