News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Side Wearing on a Thrust Crankshaft Bearing

Started by 4402tuff4u, February 22, 2006, 01:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4402tuff4u

I was looking at the old original thrust bearings that came out of the 440 and the bearings had some wearing - thin flaking metal delaminating off the side of the bearing. The machinist said that you will find that to occur on manual transmissions more than anything - when people ride the clutch. What would cause that to happen on a auto transmission car? Just normal wear and tear? Just curious. ???
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Chryco Psycho

having a converter balloon can cause it to push on the crank & prematurely wear the thrust , other things can nause it as well such as a slightly bent con rod

tecmopar

Actually, the thrust bearing takes more of a beating in an automatic car because whenever its in gear its putting a load on the crank, even at idle. Look carefully at the thrust bearing surfaces on the crank for any abnormal wear. It should be nice and pretty, good luck.