News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ford Ecoboost issues??

Started by odcics2, May 20, 2013, 02:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

Ford owners sue, saying EcoBoost engine defective

Three Ohio drivers are suing Ford Motor Co., claiming the company's six-cylinder EcoBoost engine is defective., the Associated Press reported.

The lawsuit says the 3.5-liter V6 EcoBoost engine can shudder, shake and then rapidly lose power while drivers are accelerating, the story said. Two of the plaintiffs, a married couple, say their 2010 Ford Taurus SHO has lost power and stalled on multiple occasions and a third says he has lost power when he was accelerating in his F-150 pickup, the AP said.

The lawsuit says more than 100 drivers have complained to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration about the V-6 EcoBoost rattling or losing power, the report said. Ford hasn't recalled any vehicles for the alleged defect, and NHTSA hasn't opened an investigation, which is often the first step in the recall process. The lawsuit claims Ford has acknowledged the problem in messages to dealers, but hasn't informed owners, the article said. (Associated Press)
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Green71R/T

And people wonder why i drive beaters. At least I expect problems.Have very few considering I usually pick them up for scrap.

69 OUR/TEA

Drache

My brother works at Ford and they replace at least one a month. All the people at Ford were told to keep quiet about this.

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on May 20, 2013, 08:08:57 PM
WTF is ecoboost anyway ???? :shruggy:

It was supposed to be Ford's miracle engine. Good power with little gas consumption, blah blah blah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EcoBoost_engine
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Fred

Quote from: Drache on May 20, 2013, 09:19:27 PM
My brother works at Ford and they replace at least one a month. All the people at Ford were told to keep quiet about this.

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on May 20, 2013, 08:08:57 PM
WTF is ecoboost anyway ???? :shruggy:

It was supposed to be Ford's miracle engine. Good power with little gas consumption, blah blah blah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EcoBoost_engine

We have them here too. Don't know how well they're doing, haven't heard any complaints yet but it's early days.
The Mrs. drives a commodore that is guaranteed to get her from Melbourne to Sydney on one tank of fuel. (800 plus km's) but taking it just to the shops and back is another story altogether. Fat lot of good.  I wish we bought the V8 instead.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

JB400

I bet it's a weak blowout valve.

GOTWING

i just had a feeling about this new engine... :scratchchin:

Cooter

I called this one like I called those new Diesels. No small engine will make that kind of power and efficiency for very long.

Again Ford, Like with your 6.0 Diesels, Good one :2thumbs:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

odcics2

redmist

Nothing is wrong with the engine, it's an inter-cooler issue. The ports for the inter-cooler are mounted high instead of low. This allows condensation to form in the bottom of the tank. When fast acceleration is needed, the added boost picks up the pooled water, and the motor eats it up. This causes the engine to shudder, and it throws codes.

Almost all of the issues are happening in high humidity climates. this is not an issue that is native to ford, many other turbo charged engines suffer from this.

I simple inter-cooler replacement fixes the issue, but ford is not just fixing all of them as it is such a rare issue on one half of the United States.

The Ecoboost is an AWESOME ENGINE!

Duramax's do it:  http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/01-04-5-lb7-duramax-powertrain/15309-water-intercooler-pipe.html

VW's have been doing it forever:  http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5574701-TDI-Intercooler-Issue-Design-Flaw

So if Ford would fix the issue it would be great!

JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

ACUDANUT

3 people complain (Two of the plaintiffs, a married couple) Does not account for the Millions that have no issues. Cooter eat dirt or go support the Japs and buy another Subaru, I don't care.

redmist

A simple fix would be for ford to but the blow off valve on the bottom of the tank. This would vent excess water each time a person lets off the throttle and an overboost condition is vented to atmosphere.

Or just stop driving your truck like a pussy, and the water wont accumulate!!   :scratchchin: :rofl: :nana:
JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

1970Moparmann

Just like anything, a few people complain and perception is it's junk.   Wasn't the engine introduced in 2010?  I would never buy a new car power plant like this the first year.  :yesnod:

Ford is selling 750,000+ a year...WOW. :2thumbs:

All I can say is I can't wait to get one.  I have a small 4.6 3V 2010 F150 now, and plan on getting an ecoboost next.  I've beat the crap out of my truck and it has NEVER been in for service.  40k hard miles and ZERO problems.   :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

ACUDANUT

GPULLER

Quote from: redmist on May 23, 2013, 03:00:28 PM
The ports for the inter-cooler are mounted high instead of low. This allows condensation to form in the bottom of the tank. When fast acceleration is needed, the added boost picks up the pooled water, and the motor eats it up. This causes the engine to shudder, and it throws codes.

Almost all of the issues are happening in high humidity climates. this is not an issue that is native to ford, many other turbo charged engines suffer from this.

Sounds like a cheap water injection method, now if you could mix in some methanol some how.. ::)

Cooter

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on May 23, 2013, 03:27:25 PM
Just like anything, a few people complain and perception is it's junk.   Wasn't the engine introduced in 2010?  I would never buy a new car power plant like this the first year.  :yesnod:

Ford is selling 750,000+ a year...WOW. :2thumbs:

All I can say is I can't wait to get one.  I have a small 4.6 3V 2010 F150 now, and plan on getting an ecoboost next.  I've beat the crap out of my truck and it has NEVER been in for service.  40k hard miles and ZERO problems.   :2thumbs:

Good luck with the tune up (Plugs)..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Cooter

Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 23, 2013, 03:07:45 PM
Cooter eat dirt or go support the Japs and buy another Subaru, I don't care.

Well now, ain't we just the eppitimy of DC.com with that one...... Way to be positive and helpful there sparky.  :2thumbs:

ACUDANUT

Are you kidding me ?.  Cooter, your the hater here. I have never seen one positive comment or post out of you.
I don't want to start a pissing match. Buy what you want.

ws23rt

Oh oh.. this sounds familiar..---

I just think that poor little engine is doing the best it can to be green. It's not easy.

Steve P.

I have been asking everyone I see driving one for their input on the truck and Ecoboost engine.. Here in Florida where we damn sure have a ton of humidity, I have not had 1 complaint. Matter of fact I was told by one lady driver that this truck gets better mileage than her old 4 cylinder/5-speed truck and it was much smaller.. I am guessing it was a ranger or S-10 PU. She didn't say. But her truck was a 150 CREW CAB.

I had no idea she planned to show me it's capabilities or I would have dropped the peddle myself, but that truck left me hard!!!! I did try to catch her with my much heavier F-250 SUPER CREW with a V-10, but she made it through the next light long before I did....

I am still not capable of buying a new truck, but this is damn sure the one of top interest to me..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Cooter

Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 23, 2013, 07:26:18 PM
Are you kidding me ?.  Cooter, your the hater here. I have never seen one positive comment or post out of you.
I don't want to start a pissing match. Buy what you want.

IF that were truly the case, you wouldn't have said what you did in the other post. You cannot put the sh*t back in the horse killer. I have NEVER Told you to "eat dirt" simply because I didn't agree with, or thought your post MIGHT have a ring or truth. Just because every one of my posts aren't Squeeky clean and Sickening with over enthusiasm, that NO reason to try and portray me as the 'negative Nancy' you seem to think I am.
I didn't open this pandora's box but, I welcome your debate on this matter, or you can leave it alone. Some folks cannot live without the next great thing like this Ecobusted engine. Too soon. This thing will be scattering it's internals soon enough I believe. Give it time to get a f*cking track record before you attempt to shoot down a nay sayer. Afterall, How can ANYONE form an opinion on these things that is positive/neg. without a track record.
Ford tried it with the 6.0 getting NAvistar or whoever to build them a Diesel. Too much from too little. Well, they tried it AGIN, with this little engine. Again, too much from too little IMO. If it's so great, show me one with 500 Miles on it and very little maintenance and I'll eat my hat, and give you 30 min. to draw a croud. Until then, you nor anybody else will EVER convince me that a smaller engine will make this kind of power for very long.

Oh, and just for the record, there are plenty of 'positive' posts from me...

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,101686.0.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,100171.0.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,101676.0.html

There's more if you haven't gotten the idea.

1970Moparmann

Every manufacturer plays the "recall or let it ride" game due to $$$$$$$.   

Dodge did it to me with my 2000 Dakota Pick up.  My wife and I were involved in a bad accident and the airbags didn't go off.  A drunk driver pulled out in front of us while we were going 30 mph.   My truck had $17,000 in damage and no bags... WTF!    People were dying due to this defect which wound up being a defective clock spring in the steering wheel.  In 2003 Chrysler finally sent a recall for this!   Truck was long gone by that point.

This world is ran by lawyers......

ws23rt

Talk about fuel economy will go on forever because of several factors. Usually a conversation involves only some of them. There is x amount of energy available in a pound of fuel. If you want to do more stuff with it in a given mile you need more of it. Make a small engine out of unobtianium with air bearings and it will do whatever you ask of it in that mile as long as you give it the fuel it needs. Driving a plywood box uphill will use more fuel than going downhill with a tale wind. I got 35mpg in my srt on a 150mi trip but a lot was due to an elevation drop of 4000ft.

BTW I had a 57 Imperial with a gasoline heater. I got bad fuel economy with the engine off.

Steve P.

I think we can cut the arguing..

Cooter, I'm not sure you meant 500 miles. If so I am sure that most if not all of the people I have spoken with that are driving them have got many more than 500 miles on them. One guy I recently spoke with while filling my tank had huge tires on his and it was covered in mud. It seems to me he was putting it through some hell and normally does with the size of the tires. And as he pulled away I could tell he had not done a gear change and was needed. He only complained was about his power steps/running boards.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

skip68

Wow!   Those are small displacement engines.    I don't see those running 200k or more miles.    I like the idea though but I can see those wearing out faster than traditional motors.   Who knows?    Maybe Ford is on to something.   I think I remember reading something that they had real respectable power numbers.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Steve P.

Dodge trucks were loaded with slant 6's and ran around the clock. Why shouldn't a new technology engine be able to do the same.

You guys do know we have been to the MOON, RIGHT??  :icon_smile_big:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

skip68

:smilielol:   
You're right Steve.    I will say I think the engineers at Ford know a lot more than we do and are more updated with the cutting edge of technology than us.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Steve P.

Yes, but at the same time they need to be listening to us and not TELLING us what we want. I LOVE my truck, but HATE my mileage.. The all in cost of gas keeps me from doing much at all these days..

They flooded the market a few years back with V-10s. Yes they will pull a house down, but we don't ALL need to pull down a house every day..  The idea of the ECOBOOST is that you can get pretty good, (in comparison), mileage on an everyday basis and still have the power on demand to pull your big block B-Body on a 3000 pound trailer when needed. Be it once a week or one a month you can tow and when not towing get good mileage..

If you are buying for a business and it involves towing all the time or a lot of weight in the bed all the time I would go another route. That is just common sense. And if you don't have it, your salesman should or he won't have happy customers for long.

For people like me, this truck makes great sense.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Cooter

Quote from: Steve P. on May 24, 2013, 10:21:03 AM
Dodge trucks were loaded with slant 6's and ran around the clock. Why shouldn't a new technology engine be able to do the same.

You guys do know we have been to the MOON, RIGHT??  :icon_smile_big:
Ok, so your saying we need an ecoboost engine that is along the same lines as the orginal, Couldn't get out of it's own way, weak as rainwater, Slant 6 engine? Today???With people DEMANDING 60 MPG, 600 HP, Able to tow 40K lbs WHILE plowing 10 Ft. of snow??? REALLY? You would be laughed right out of business. Period. Who cares if it gets 20 MPG and will run forever.
You know full and well if they put out a GOOD product, they won't ever sell another one. it's all about the Benji's....Keep a 'So-So' Product out there, and people will come back when it breaks in the first 5 years. Sell something like the orginal Subaru's and they won't sell another one for at least 25-30 years. Gotta make that money. The only time it becomes a 'Tragedy' is when they do not make a full year before having durability issues. Ford did a 'Torture test' Of these engines by first running it for something like 50K miles towing 20K lbs. or something, then pulled the engine out, put it in anoither truck/car and went another 100K miles. Then, pulled the engine and stuck it in some kinda desert racing truck for another 100 miles. Then, pulled the engine down for inspection and all tolerances were dead nuts on. HOWEVER, they did supposedly basically the same thing with the 6.0 Diesels. Wonder why it takes REAL WOLRD driver's to find the flaws?? Wonder why putting 300 Miles on an engine in a torture test over a 4 month period back to back can deliver great results, but put that kinda miles on one over say 25 year period and the results are different entirely? Wonder why that EGR/head gasket thingy with the 6.0 liter didn't show up in the torture tests?

Wonder why this issue that Ford has now seemed to "recall" over, didn't show up in any of those "Torture tests"?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/05/15/ford-ecoboost-lawsuit-defective-recall/2161123/

"The lawsuit, so far, has just three owners who are saying that 3.5-L V6 EcoBoost engine "contained serious latent design, manufacturing, or assembly defects," according to an Autoweek.com story. Essentially, the complaint is that these defects cause the truck to go into limp mode (a rather scary driving event).

Now we have covered this issue before, the issue resides in humidity building up in the charge air cooler. This build up leads to the water getting to the engine which triggers safety sensors that puts the engine in "safe" (or limp) mode. The story we hear is that the part is actually performing "too well" and it is cooling the hot humid air too quickly causing condensation to build up.

Ford has developed a replacement part and is fixing vehicles on a as needed basis. The haven't issued any recall yet nor have they directly notified owners of the issue (as far as we know).

Here is the truth as we see it. The lawsuit is garbage in that the design doesn't have any latent design, manufacturing or assembly defects. Frankly, the problem is simply the design works too well. The place where we take exception is in the communication of the problem. Ford SHOULD have come right out and said, we know there is a problem, here is the fix and please have it fixed for free. They could have easily notified the NHTSA about the issue, gathered a list of owners and mailed a letterTHAT is the piece that the lawsuit should address.

Now, we could very well see this lawsuit grow and become a class action suit. It is interesting that all three of the owners are in Ohio (why not Florida, Alabama, Georgia, etc...). They could easily find more owners having this issue by searching forums and auto registration data.

The facts are that we live in a world with immediate information sharing, video and social media. Automakers, as a whole, have to know that if one owner experiences an issue the rest will know within a short matter of time. They need to be pro-active on the public relations end of things and not re-active."

You guys do realize we have been to the moon right???

I do believe this engine is a Gov. mandated thing just like the Navistar Diesel tragedy. More from less. Sometimes, you win, sometimes, YOU LOSE and lose BIG.
If they ever get it lined out, I think it will be a good set up in something small, but history has proven time and again, that the bigger set up will do work alot more easily than the smaller set up. Simple physics.

ws23rt

" The bigger set up will do work alot more easily than the smaller set up"
  Tis the way of nature.  The ecoboost could pull a 100 car coal train. but for how long and how fast?

skip68

It's capable but not intended for heavy duty commercial use.   It's for the average Joe as a daily driver that pulls a boat on the weekend or a trailer now and then.     If you tow a lot this wouldn't be the truck for you.    That's my impression.   

redmist

Skip is right on!!

I have a 2013.

I tow a Jeep to Moab Utah twice a year and that's it. I traded a 2001 ford 7.3 diesel for this truck, and it's my daily driver. it destroys the old 7.3 in every category to include towing.

the added benefit is it gets the same milage as the little V-8's, but it has a bunch more power than the little V-8's. Plus that sweet sound of twin turbo's is nice also.  :icon_smile_wink:

I have just over 12,000 miles on mine in just under 6 months. My average mileage is 17.2 MPG which is .2 over what the sticker said it would get. truck hauls ass also! No problems here, turbo replacements are dirt cheep for a turbo, so I am not worried about it.

Great truck, Great engine.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: redmist on May 25, 2013, 11:46:52 AM
Skip is right on!!

I have a 2013.

I tow a Jeep to Moab Utah twice a year and that's it. I traded a 2001 ford 7.3 diesel for this truck, and it's my daily driver. it destroys the old 7.3 in every category to include towing.

the added benefit is it gets the same milage as the little V-8's, but it has a bunch more power than the little V-8's. Plus that sweet sound of twin turbo's is nice also.  :icon_smile_wink:

I have just over 12,000 miles on mine in just under 6 months. My average mileage is 17.2 MPG which is .2 over what the sticker said it would get. truck hauls ass also! No problems here, turbo replacements are dirt cheep for a turbo, so I am not worried about it.

Great truck, Great engine.

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Before it was buy a truck to tow, and drive the big rig as a daily.  Now it's drive a daily to tow. :2thumbs:

Steve P.

Cooter, you obviously are under the impression that we NEED 300 FT TQ to get into our driveways. Maybe you do, but the entire World does not.

I thought I read somewhere that you work in a dealership. Maybe it was someone else, but if it were you I would believe you would know and understand that every dealer tries to cover every use and when they have too much of something they will push it on people that really don't need it.. Well, I am under the impression that being a car enthusiast type site we would all be smart enough to know what our NEEDS are in a vehicle. IE: I have an F-250 Super Crew with a V-10. It is a very comfortable truck and is capable of doing WAY MORE than I will ever ask it of again. Now for me,,,, I am FUSED. My lower back does not bend. So I cannot get in and out of most of today's cars. They are too low to the ground and have a lower roofline than our old cars and most trucks. To take that a step further, the roofline of the newer Dodge/Ram trucks make it a bit hard for me to get in and out of even with the seat all the way down.

Now I don't live in the SNOW BELT anymore. So I don't have a need to plow snow and with my back I would never attempt it again. I rarely tow anymore, yet I still have a utility and single car hauler. So I am in the same boat as REDMIST. He gave you his personal view of his truck and has 12,000 miles on it in 6 months. AND he is getting better than 17 MPG. I get 11.

Now I would rather be driving an 05' or newer DODGE with a Cummins and automatic. I LOVE the MEGA CAG and have the family to fill it. I know a few that own them and get better MPG than the Ecoboost and for sure can tow much, much more. The problem is my wife cannot stand the smell of diesel exhaust. I can't say I am much for it either and we live where there are way too many lights. Also diesel is more expensive, not as easy to find and I am nowhere near as comfortable in the Dodge cab.. Also Dodge trucks in Florida better spend the bulk of their lives with the dash in the shade. You cannot find a dodge truck in the bone yard to replace the disaster most are calling a dash now. I think that has changed in the newer trucks, but ya know, with all of the cracked and holy dashes that are driving around Florida, DODGE NEVER RECALLED A DAMN ONE OF THEM!!!!!

Every maker has their own issues. Mopar has had plenty. How about the 318 hydrolocking due to bad head gaskets? NO RECALL and that had no LIMP MODE. That had "TOW ME" mode only. How many thousands of mopar customers paid for that out of pocket... There are thousands and thousands of these Ecoboost engines out there and so far I have heard of 3 complaints. 2 of which are in the same house. So for what I know about these trucks from reading and talking to people who own them I have to think that Ford hit this one out of the park.

One more thing. Back when trucks came out with weaker engines they still got the job done. Matter of fact this falls under the rule of THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE JOB. I use to PLOW with a 67' International with full time 4WD. No synchro's and no power anything. Steering was with a bus wheel and was about 30 turns lock to lock. Under the hood was a very small 4-cylinder. I plowed 3 repair shops and my driveway with that little animal and used it to push cars into my shop for 4-5 years years round. And that was in Rochester, NY. Right off Lake Ontario. Dead center of the snow belt. 
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

JB400

I say it's too early to really judge the Ecoboost engines fairly.  Those that have them will love them or hate them.  Those that have had turbo engines before will do the same.  Personally, I'll just have some and wait a few years.  I doubt that there are many ecoboost engines out there with 20k on the odometer.

Steve P.

They have been out since 2010 and I have had at least 3 people tell me this is not their first. I'm sure many will be on EBAY with all of the lease vehicles out there and if you know anyone who deals cars, maybe go to an auction with them to see how many have very high mileage. Around here the avg. yearly mileage is 15,000. That would put a 4 year old ECO at around 60, k for my area.. I can tell you there are thousands of them in my area alone....

Also take a look at rental car places. They also love these trucks around here...
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Troy

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on May 25, 2013, 12:52:01 PM
I say it's too early to really judge the Ecoboost engines fairly.  Those that have them will love them or hate them.  Those that have had turbo engines before will do the same.  Personally, I'll just have some and wait a few years.  I doubt that there are many ecoboost engines out there with 20k on the odometer.
What??? Seriously, I average about 24k miles per year on my daily driver and the Ecoboost trucks have been out for 4 years (cars even longer). Around here, there are a lot of small business that haul trailers cross country and those guys put 60-80k+ miles on theirs each year. Look around, there a lots of examples of 100k+ F150s out there.

As for longevity, let me add a small bit of information. When I was first looking at swapping in a 5.9 into one of my old Mopars I ran across something very interesting: people were tearing into these motors with 100k+ and finding almost no cylinder wear. Some still had visible cross-hatching. How? Why? Magic? What they found was that the fuel injection systems are so precise that no extra fuel was making it to the cylinder. In a carbureted engine it's nearly impossible to tune a perfect fuel curve and, in general, it's better to err on the "rich" side. All that extra fuel washes down the cylinder walls - taking the oil with it. Startup is particularly harsh. So, the end result is better fuel economy AND a big increase in the lifetime of the engine.

If you could get an engine to run at peak efficiency 100% of the time don't you think it would last longer? Everyone who has been around cars knows (or should know) that a vehicle only uses a very small percentage of it's power to maintain speed on a highway (where many people spend a large percentage of their driving time). This is the basis for MDS and other cylinder manipulation technologies. Drive a V* in town and it magically turns into a 4 cylinder on the highway. Installing "power adders" like superchargers and turbos is a great compromise (provided you don't ever "go lean") because you only get the power when asked for but, under normal driving, you get the benefits of the original engine configuration. The limiting factor to making a perfect blend has always been technology - it just didn't exist. With the smaller, faster processors, better sensors, and faster/better defined communications busses the technology has been able to catch up.

Not to mention advances in oil performance, fluid dynamics research/prediction, and manufacturing processes...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

ACUDANUT

Don't tell Cooter this. He would rather have another Subaru. :smilielol:

JB400

Sorry for my ignorance on mileage. :brickwall:  Being 4 years in production for the trucks, does allow enough time for someone to log a bunch of miles.  But still, 4 years of real world testing is still a little early in my book to say this engine is a great engine.  I take the 2.7 Chrysler for example.  It came out in 98.  It took about 4-5 years before problems with this engine to really come to surface.  Being that this engine flooded the market early on, the problems with the 2.7 are well known.

As for the Ecoboost F 150, yes there are early models, but they vehicles were trickled in instead of dumped on the market like the 2.7.  I personally only know of around a half dozen trucks with this engine in them in my neck of the woods.  I still say it's too early to judge these engines as far as reliability fairly.  I think it'd take another 3-4 years for more people to acquire these and put them into full service use to make a fair comparison to the other engines.

Care to have some popcorn while we wait? :popcrn:

Cooter

Quote from: Steve P. on May 25, 2013, 12:41:38 PM
Cooter, you obviously are under the impression that we NEED 300 FT TQ to get into our driveways. Maybe you do, but the entire World does not.

I thought I read somewhere that you work in a dealership. Have worked, will never again. One gets complacent in a dealer working on th same damn thing over and over and over. Plus, i had a hard time with going in for 45 Hours/week and getting paid for 25 on Commission/flat rate. usually get stuck warranty problems. Do you have any idea what the pay is for diagnosis under warranty for electrical problems? "0". Yep. And people have to gall to complain.
Maybe it was someone else, but if it were you I would believe you would know and understand that every dealer tries to cover every use and when they have too much of something they will push it on people that really don't need it.. Well, I am under the impression that being a car enthusiast type site we would all be smart enough to know what our NEEDS are in a vehicle. IE: I have an F-250 Super Crew with a V-10. It is a very comfortable truck and is capable of doing WAY MORE than I will ever ask it of again. Now for me,,,, I am FUSED. My lower back does not bend. So I cannot get in and out of most of today's cars. They are too low to the ground and have a lower roofline than our old cars and most trucks. To take that a step further, the roofline of the newer Dodge/Ram trucks make it a bit hard for me to get in and out of even with the seat all the way down.Well, if every Eco-boost was sold to YOU, then there would be no problems with them no would there? Howeve, in the real world, they are sold to People who are DEMANDING more and more from smaller engines. DEMANDING if your gonna put it out there that you have a V6 engine that will make 400 HP, well guess what Steve, not everybody is just gonna take that at face value and NOT HOOK THEM TO EACH OTHER AND SEE WHO CAN PULL who backwards. Yes, I cannot stand that barbarric practice, but alas, if your gonna put it out there......

Now I don't live in the SNOW BELT anymore. So I don't have a need to plow snow and with my back I would never attempt it again. I rarely tow anymore, yet I still have a utility and single car hauler. So I am in the same boat as REDMIST. He gave you his personal view of his truck and has 12,000 miles on it in 6 months. AND he is getting better than 17 MPG. I get 11. Again, if every Eco-boost was sold to YOU, or those Like YOU, there wouldnt' be any problems.

Now I would rather be driving an 05' or newer DODGE with a Cummins and automatic. I LOVE the MEGA CAG and have the family to fill it. I know a few that own them and get better MPG than the Ecoboost and for sure can tow much, much more. The problem is my wife cannot stand the smell of diesel exhaust. I can't say I am much for it either and we live where there are way too many lights. Also diesel is more expensive, not as easy to find and I am nowhere near as comfortable in the Dodge cab.. Also Dodge trucks in Florida better spend the bulk of their lives with the dash in the shade. You cannot find a dodge truck in the bone yard to replace the disaster most are calling a dash now. I think that has changed in the newer trucks, but ya know, with all of the cracked and holy dashes that are driving around Florida, DODGE NEVER RECALLED A DAMN ONE OF THEM!!!!! Again, why is it if they fit into YOUR ctieria, everybody MUST not offer the "cons" to anything?

Every maker has their own issues. Mopar has had plenty. How about the 318 hydrolocking due to bad head gaskets? NO RECALL and that had no LIMP MODE. That had "TOW ME" mode only. How many thousands of mopar customers paid for that out of pocket...I know of one who didn't becasue I was repairing them. Myself. There are thousands and thousands of these Ecoboost engines out there and so far I have heard of 3 complaints. 2 of which are in the same house. So for what I know about these trucks from reading and talking to people who own them I have to think that Ford hit this one out of the park.As far as YOUR concerned. What will you say when these 3 complaints say turn into 30K complaints??? Still a good engine/Idea? Just like those who touted the 3Valve Ford V8 engine. until they were staring at a $700.00 Tune up bill. Now, thet engine is going down due to possibly 3 owners who began a class action suit against Ford to do something bout that 3 valve, TWO PIECE spark plug issue. Now, the aftermarket as well as Ford Offers a ONE PIECE plug. Wonder why these weren't installed from the factory???

One more thing. Back when trucks came out with weaker engines they still got the job done. Matter of fact this falls under the rule of THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE JOB. I use to PLOW with a 67' International with full time 4WD. No synchro's and no power anything. Steering was with a bus wheel and was about 30 turns lock to lock. Under the hood was a very small 4-cylinder. I plowed 3 repair shops and my driveway with that little animal and used it to push cars into my shop for 4-5 years years round. And that was in Rochester, NY. Right off Lake Ontario. Dead center of the snow belt. This, while true, it still doesn't hold any water due to the fact that when these "Right tool for the job" came out  Fuel was what? $1.00/gal??? Who cared if it got 8 MPG while running WOT to tow that 10K lbs. Today however, it would seem that once the cat is out the bag on 30 MPG while towing, there are those out there, Believe it or not, that DEMAND this type of performance, and THESE are the ones Ford is counting on for sales. NOT, some guy who doesn't care,need all that "extra" stuff. As far as the Eco-boost goes, by your own admission, you don't really count for much in the eyes of the buying public becasue the way it sounds you would be perfectly happy getting 6 MPG as long s it lasted. Well, my friend, those days are long gone, never to return. All I am saying is if your gonna put out an engine that says it can do it, then Why are we seeing these problems???

Steve P.

Ok Cooter. You MUST be right.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

73rallye440magnum

I spoke with a guy last weekend with 120k miles on his and gets 20 mpg. I've never heard anything bad about them.
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

skip68

Quote from: skip68 on May 25, 2013, 11:05:23 AM
It's capable but not intended for heavy duty commercial use.   It's for the average Joe as a daily driver that pulls a boat on the weekend or a trailer now and then.        That's my impression.   

Well said skip.   Hit the nail on the head.   

Fred

Quote from: skip68 on May 26, 2013, 01:19:21 PM
Quote from: skip68 on May 25, 2013, 11:05:23 AM
It's capable but not intended for heavy duty commercial use.   It's for the average Joe as a daily driver that pulls a boat on the weekend or a trailer now and then.        That's my impression.   

Well said skip.   Hit the nail on the head.   

Did you give yourself a pat on the back?  :icon_smile_big:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Cooter

Quote from: Steve P. on May 26, 2013, 12:21:22 PM
Ok Cooter. You MUST be right.

Not nessesarily 'right', but far from saying you are wrong simply based on your opinion....

Steve P.

Cooter, trying to have this discussion with you is ridiculous. You have copied and pasted everything I have said and then in red, twist what I say. I am not going to go round and round with you if you cannot read what I am saying or understand it. So without any more headache I am done.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

ACUDANUT

Cooter

Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 27, 2013, 12:46:05 PM
He just loves to argue.

Wow guy, You and Steve make a GREAT Team. You should start your own Club. BTW: F-U

1970Moparmann

Cooter

Quote from: odcics2 on May 27, 2013, 04:01:19 PM

Breaking News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130527/AUTO0102/305270307/U-S-investigates-400-000-Ford-F-150-trucks-engine-problems?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|p

"The Dearborn automaker has issued three separate dealer bulletins since 2012 advising how to address owner complaints. Ford has not issued a recall, which is required when an automaker determines a potential problem poses an "unreasonable risk to safety."

So is Ford waiting until someone gets hit/crashes before they deem this thing "unreasonable risk to safety."? Things that make me go hmmmm....

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Cooter on May 27, 2013, 04:14:29 PM
So is Ford waiting until someone gets hit/crashes before they deem this thing "unreasonable risk to safety."? Things that make me go hmmmm....

Unfortunately, they all do this.  At least no one got killed with this like my issue with Dodge and the airbag clock spring.

Cooter

At least it was that way when I worked for dealers too. Customers blame the poor Techs as not knowing what the hell they are doing, when it's a design flaw.

From what I gather, it's collecting Condesation in the Intercooler. Hmmmm, As many Turbo vehicles out there today, one would think Ford Engineers could have figured out a way around this problem by now. Said they have been sending out TSB's since Like 2012, dancing around the problem. And to think, this is what we get for our bailout money? Damn...(Yes, I know Ford "claims" not to have taken any bailout money, but I know better).

skip68

Just working out a few bugs.  That's not a bad percentage.   Not a major engine problem/melt down in my book.   They know the problem and it sounds like a stupid minor fix so that's good.   Even the best built cars in the world are going to have a few lemons and or defects. 

odcics2

http://www.freep.com/article/20120112/BUSINESS0102/201120601/Ford-not-GM-or-Chrysler-got-federal-loans-to-retool-plants

"If you ask the general public which automaker owes $4 billion to the government, no one would guess Ford," said analyst Rebecca Lindland of IHS Automotive in Greenwich, Conn.

1970Moparmann

And why does the Government (who's broke) have the power to use our money to do this crap.  But, then again, the Government is putting stupid ass requirements in for the future. :brickwall:

Steve P.

This is not something new. The government has made loans many times before. It is however a big media talking point and some cannot get enough of it.

The reason that the government made emergency loans, (BAIL OUTS), was to save American jobs. Not just the jobs of people whom work for GM and Chrysler, but also the millions of others who make switches and lenses and steering wheels and wheels and a host of other car parts jobs as well.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Cooter

Looks like it worked..... :-\

http://www.bankruptingamerica.org/fact-sheet/the-auto-bailout-the-facts/

"In the bailout bankruptcies, there were examples of politicians who were not looking to maximize the success of reorganizing the companies but rather were focused on earning favor with constituents"

odcics2

More info - looks like hundreds are complaining on forums...  without making formal complaints that are counted.
Tells exactly what the problem is, too.

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2013/05/nhtsa-investigating-ford-f-series-ecoboost/#more-61409

richRTSE

Quote from: odcics2 on May 27, 2013, 05:25:43 PM

http://www.freep.com/article/20120112/BUSINESS0102/201120601/Ford-not-GM-or-Chrysler-got-federal-loans-to-retool-plants

"If you ask the general public which automaker owes $4 billion to the government, no one would guess Ford," said analyst Rebecca Lindland of IHS Automotive in Greenwich, Conn.

Quote....along with Nissan, which got $1.4 billion

:o

ws23rt

Not such a big deal. The people that make the machines that print money. And all that are connected in that industry spend there money and pay taxes.
All is just fine. The big machine works. :eek2:
Jobs jobs jobs