News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

bleeder screw drum brakes

Started by Al, May 07, 2013, 04:29:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

I'm about to bleed the drum brakes on my 68 Charger. I noticed that all four bleeding screws look quite old and rounded. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have some surprises !

Can anyone tell me the correct size of the front and rear bleeder screw, so that I can order new ones? Does Summit sell them?

I have checked the 1968 service manual but cannot find any precise information. Any help would be most welcome.

greets
Al
1968 Dodge Charger, 383, UU1

Cooter

Most likey cheaper to just replace the wheel cylinders as they will come with new bleeders.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

green69rt

Wouldn't somebody like Autozone sell them, they have all sorts of misc stuff hanging on their walls.  Take one of yours with you and see.  If your bleeders are in that bad of shape maybe Cooter is right, more problems lurking so think about a brake overhaul, or did you just do that and now you need to bleed?   :shruggy:

Al

Quote from: green69rt on May 07, 2013, 08:17:24 AM
Wouldn't somebody like Autozone sell them, they have all sorts of misc stuff hanging on their walls.  Take one of yours with you and see.  If your bleeders are in that bad of shape maybe Cooter is right, more problems lurking so think about a brake overhaul, or did you just do that and now you need to bleed?   :shruggy:

Cooter sure is right but my brakes are ok, the car has passed the official technical inspection without problem. I only want to change the brake fluid and the bleeder screws look  rounded and I want to replace them. I live in Europe and I order my spare parts directly from Rockauto, Summit, etc because you wouldn't find anything in my country.

greets
Al

68 RT

I would also just go head and replace the wheel cyl. If teh bleeder screws are rounded off it means someone else tried to get them off. More than likely they are frozen.  :cheers:

Al

Quote from: 68 RT on May 07, 2013, 11:06:21 AM
I would also just go head and replace the wheel cyl. If teh bleeder screws are rounded off it means someone else tried to get them off. More than likely they are frozen.  :cheers:

Sounds like bad news. I haven't replaced drum brakes before, is it possible to adjust them without the professional equipment of a professional garage/shop?

Cooter

Quote from: Al on May 08, 2013, 01:47:48 AM
Quote from: 68 RT on May 07, 2013, 11:06:21 AM

Sounds like bad news. I haven't replaced drum brakes before, is it possible to adjust them without the professional equipment of a professional garage/shop?

Tis possible, but then again, so is anything....Get yourself someone there that knows and DO NOT TEAR DOWN BOTH SIDES AT ONCE. Leave one side to go by if you get confused to where something goes.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Al

any ideas about the correct size for the bleeder screw?

Mopar Nut

When you do replace them buy the hardened steel ones, they will not round out. I think the brand is called ICE or something like that.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Al

Quote from: Mopar Nut on May 12, 2013, 02:14:00 PM
When you do replace them buy the hardened steel ones, they will not round out. I think the brand is called ICE or something like that.

good idea, but do you know the correct size?

Al

Mopar Nut

I don't remember the size, but I did remove mine with small vice gripes. Use WD-40 before you try. Take a old one up to Auto Zone, they should be able to tell you the size. I have since replaced mine with four wheel discs.

Good luck.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Al

Quote from: Mopar Nut on May 22, 2013, 02:40:23 AM
I don't remember the size, but I did remove mine with small vice gripes. Use WD-40 before you try. Take a old one up to Auto Zone, they should be able to tell you the size. I have since replaced mine with four wheel discs.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. Are front and rear bleeder screws the same size ?

JB400

I think so.  I think 1/8 24 thread is the size, not 100% positive.

Al

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on May 22, 2013, 03:52:18 PM
I think so.  I think 1/8 24 thread is the size, not 100% positive.

1/8 or 3/8 ?

Al

Any ideas about the bleeder screw size?  :shruggy:

ws23rt

Quote from: Al on May 28, 2013, 12:07:10 PM
Any ideas about the bleeder screw size?  :shruggy:

Al I removed a bleeder from an old drum brake cyl and it is.   5/16 in. x 24 threads per in. It is straight thread not pipe thread.(taper thread). The seal comes at the taper where the bleeder seats. The hex size for a wrench is 5/16in  A 5/16in 6 point deep socket driven on your rounded over bleeders would be my first try for removal before the hex gets worse.

preid

Quote from: ws23rt on May 28, 2013, 06:58:50 PM

Al I removed a bleeder from an old drum brake cyl and it is.   5/16 in. x 24 threads per in. It is straight thread not pipe thread.(taper thread). The seal comes at the taper where the bleeder seats. The hex size for a wrench is 5/16in  A 5/16in 6 point deep socket driven on your rounded over bleeders would be my first try for removal before the hex gets worse.

Yep, 5/16" x 24 is right.  Just my own two cents worth:  I, too, thought I'd just bleed the brakes after experiencing the milky looking brake fluid and spongy pedal.  However, don't be surprised if some of these screws snaps off when you try and replace or bleed them, parts that old that haven't been regularly maintained will most likely be corroded/frozen.  If you're really going to start torquing these old screws, might want to have a professional take a look at them if you're not used to working on them.  2 of the 4 screws on my car snapped off and I ended up completely rebuilding my brakes (wheel cylinders, spring kit, shoes, drums, etc.  I even had to replace the rear brake line that was also corroded to the wheel cylinder.  I'm just saying, if you're going to tear into these, there is a decent chance you'll need or want to atleast replace the wheel cylinders and that isn't a simple job if you're not used to working on brakes like this. 

Al

Thanks for doing this. Are front and rear bleeders the same size?

Greets
Al

ws23rt

Quote from: Al on May 29, 2013, 11:03:33 AM

Thanks for doing this. Are front and rear bleeders the same size?
A good heating of the bleeder with a small flame and allow cooling may help break the old age bond.

Greets
Al

Yes they are the same front and rear for drums. Just in case you have disc in front the bleeders for disc are 3/8 X 24 tpi and 3/8 in wrench size

Al