News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

gas gauge sender stud.

Started by Highbanked Hauler, May 14, 2013, 10:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

I could smell gas around the back end of my car after I filled the tank so I got under to check figuring it was the gasket between the tank and the sender unit and it turns out the gas is coming out around the metal stud and the plastic base and the where the gas gauge wire pushes on.Ideas ? It looks like keep less than a half tank full or replace the sender unit again unless there is a way to seal it. :shruggy:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Baldwinvette77

you may just want to replace the sender, you dont really want to half ass repairs on a car thats actually worth spending money on  :Twocents:

rt green

third string oil changer

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Hard Charger

easy to change with the tank in the car. the viscosity of the gas is greater than water so drain the tank and or park going up hill to get what gas is left to the other side of the tank. trust me

71 SE3834V

OK, I'm going to buck the trend since you did ask if it can be sealed.
If you want a temp fix, maybe to get it sealed up until you replace the send unit, Seal All works for gas leaks. I have sealed up rust holes in gas tanks and oil pans but it usually doesn't hold long term. I've had it hold for a year or so but rust keeps working and if it's used on a smooth surface it doesn't "grip" as well. Supposedly it can be used while it's wet & leaking but I've never tried that.

Rather see you spend $5 to get it sealed temporarily, then leave it leaking unless you can get a new S.U. on it quick.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

Hard Charger

don't @#%@ with gas.

a sending unit is less than 50$ and easily installed.

71 SE3834V

Quote from: Hard Charger on May 15, 2013, 09:46:40 PM
don't @#%@ with gas.

a sending unit is less than 50$ and easiyl installed.

Agreed. I replaced my fuel pump the day after I found it leaking. Not everyone has that option.
I hope my reply was not misunderstood. If I had to order a sending unit and it might be a few days b4 it could be installed I'd be sliding under the car and spreading some sealer on it instead of letting it leak. Either that or drain the tank until it can be fixed.
Oh and the "hold for a year" comment, well let's say I was very poor at one time. Not anymore. If it's broke, it now gets fixed right.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Hard Charger on May 15, 2013, 09:39:14 PM
easy to change with the tank in the car. the viscosity of the gas is greater than water so drain the tank and or park going up hill to get what gas is left to the other side of the tank. trust me

dont have to drop the tank? Im down to 2 gallons in my tank I was thinking of repalcing the sending unit myself, but figure I can drop the tank to do it.

71 SE3834V

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on May 22, 2013, 03:12:38 AM
Quote from: Hard Charger on May 15, 2013, 09:39:14 PM

dont have to drop the tank? Im down to 2 gallons in my tank I was thinking of repalcing the sending unit myself, but figure I can drop the tank to do it.

Yeah pretty tough to do w/o at least dropping the corner. Just replaced my float last weekend. Had only 1 gal. left in it. Since I had the tank out 1 year ago everything was clean and easy to do. Slowly dropped the jack and let the corner settle down enough to get at it. Don't forget the vent lines on the dr side are connected and if they aren't in good shape you could tear one if you don't disconnect them.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V