News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Holy Crap...Found My Problem

Started by MoparMotel, May 19, 2013, 07:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iceyone

Sometimes the cam lobe which drives the fuel pump rod wears out too, causes the same problem.
68 Charger
70 Super Bee
11 SRT8 Challenger
30 Chevy Universal

Budnicks

Quote from: A383Wing on June 01, 2013, 09:44:43 PM
yes, sits in a hole that goes up about 45* from the pump lever...you have to remove the pipe plug under the pump to get it out...then use some wheel bearing grease to install so it stays in place while installing pump. To many times I have heard of people putting new fuel pumps in an the rod fell from the cam and the lever was on the side of the rod instead of under it.

Pics should be in the service manual

Bryan

:2thumbs:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

john108

Would you try to rotate the cam so the rod slides deeper in, so there is more room to fit the fuel pump lever in???  I have an engine/block dis-assembled and can see that rod from the front of the engine.  I didn't have a 5/16 wrench to get it out.

A383Wing

yes, you can rotate engine so rod is on the lowest part of cam lobe to ease installation of pump lever. That way rod will be further up in block

Bryan

69wannabe

My friend that does body work for me now had a 69 super bee when I met him. That's how we became buds, his bee wouldn't run after swapping carbs and fuel pumps and etc... At the time I had a ford truck I was working on and needed it buffed out. He said if you can make that 383 run that he would buff out my truck. I had a feeling that pump rod was worn and I had an old 400 block that was gave to me and we pulled his out and took the one out of the 400 and there was a lot of difference. Got him going and got my old truck buffed out.  Glad you got your fuel troubles figured out, that is frustrating when you got a whole new fuel system and still have fuel troubles!!

Budnicks

Quote from: A383Wing on June 04, 2013, 11:26:40 PM
yes, you can rotate engine so rod is on the lowest part of cam lobe to ease installation of pump lever. That way rod will be further up in block

Bryan

good advice...  :2thumbs: makes it a little easier not working as much against the pump arm/lever...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

pullrock

I spent two weeks on this and replace and moved the fuel pump more times than i would like to remember!