News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Blow out in the Daytona, Rats..

Started by hemi68charger, May 18, 2013, 03:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Well, it eventually had to happen, with Julie in the car nonetheless. Left front tire blew on the Daytona while I was on the Beltway. Rats !!!!! I was on my way to the Houston Mopar Club annual picnic. Thanks to Tuffy in helping out and the Beltway responders. Guy stopped and assisted me. He was going to change it... hahaha.. I told him "Thanks, but I'll just use the floor jack, you relax"... No, it only took one person to change the tire.. lol

Now, the redline spare isn't a virgin any more. Stinks, now I have only 3 Goodyear GT II's, I need another one...... Anyone out there with a spare Goodyear GT II in a 255/60R/15's?

Could have been much worse... But, this goes with the territory when driven.........  Julie did real well......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Old Moparz

Glad nothing was damaged.  :cheers:

On my way to the 1988 Mopar Nationals in my Scamp I had an old bias ply tire come apart on the interstate. Traffic was heavy so we weren't going more than 45 or 50, but it's still an eye opener.   :o

Looks like you weren't in the best of spots to change that tire.  :shruggy:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

hemi68charger

Quote from: Old Moparz on May 18, 2013, 04:10:28 PM

Nope, right at a on-ramp to the Beltway. Needless to say I had to give the "What the Hell!!!" look and body language when people came whizzing by... Some people are freakin' clueless.......... A Beltway responder came by right afterwards and put his lights on behind me. He was real cool even though he didn't have a CLUE what was in front of him.....  :lol:
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Indygenerallee

QuoteSome people are freakin' clueless
Better make that a TON of people are freakin' clueless!!! Glad nothing was damaged!!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

tan top

:o  yikes ,  glad there was no damage to the daytona ,  what a place to get a blow out !!  damn murphy & his law  :icon_smile_blackeye:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

odcics2

Sorry it happened, but you were lucky it wasn't worse...

On a positive note, that black wheel, red line tire, chrome lug setup looks good on the car.   
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: hemi68charger on May 18, 2013, 04:35:34 PM
Quote from: Old Moparz on May 18, 2013, 04:10:28 PM

Nope, right at a on-ramp to the Beltway. Needless to say I had to give the "What the Hell!!!" look and body language when people came whizzing by... Some people are freakin' clueless.......... A Beltway responder came by right afterwards and put his lights on behind me. He was real cool even though he didn't have a CLUE what was in front of him.....  :lol:

Is your spare a radial or bias ply tire ? What caused it to go flat ? Glad it didn't trash the fender :o
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

1970Moparmann

That sucks Troy.  I just did a search on Craigslist and can't find any for sale.   I guess these came on late 70's and early 80's Vettes (size and brand), so you should be able to find one.   Put your Chebby hat on and search the Vette forums. Good luck!
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Cooter

Quote from: hemi68charger on May 18, 2013, 04:35:34 PM

HUH? I thought I read in another thread those cars were unmistake-able? Wow....Glad you didn't have to run that "Virgin" spare too long.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

hemi68charger

Quote from: odcics2 on May 19, 2013, 08:27:37 AM
Sorry it happened, but you were lucky it wasn't worse...

On a positive note, that black wheel, red line tire, chrome lug setup looks good on the car.   

I do have to agree with you.. I do like the black rim with the chrome lug nuts... Not too crazy about the redlines thought...... That look may be finding its way onto the Daytona actually...

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on May 19, 2013, 09:22:27 AM
     Is your spare a radial or bias ply tire ? What caused it to go flat ? Glad it didn't trash the fender :o

The spare is/was the bias ply redline you see on the car. A bad valve stem caused the tire to go flat, it had a rip at the base by the rim. I'm suspecting while I was cleaning my rims Friday, it rubbed it and that was a weak point flaw. All it took was about 20 minutes of driving for it to rupture.

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on May 19, 2013, 09:35:12 AM
That sucks Troy.  I just did a search on Craigslist and can't find any for sale.   I guess these came on late 70's and early 80's Vettes (size and brand), so you should be able to find one.   Put your Chebby hat on and search the Vette forums. Good luck!

Goodyear made the Eagle GT II's up to about 2010 or so I believe, maybe even later. The discontinued the RWL Goodyear Eagle ST priopr to that. Funny thing is they still make the GT II's in other diameters, but not 15" any more... I'm scouring around with the help of friends....

Troy

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

oldcarnut

Just saw there is someone that has 1 - 3 listed on EBay.  I'd post the link but don't know how with the phone. Seller jboring1234

nascarxx29

hemi68charger

Troy

472 R/T SE

Why do you say it had to happen?   How old were the tires Troy?

I just put a new set of Eagle GT II's 275's & 235's on about 5 years ago.  Now I can't find them on America's Tire website or the bay?

That last batch wasn't the final one was it?  I sure hope not cause I like the looks of them as much as BFGs' if not more.  I grew tired of seeing the BFGs' on 60-70% of the rigs' out there.

Many years ago I lost the power booster on Blue.  It just up & died out in stop-n-go on the freeway on our way to a wedding rehearsal.  Like you, my daughter was with me.  We waited almost 4 hours for a roll back in the parking lot of Fred Meyer off MLK boulevard.  

That was interesting.  My daughter absolutely covered every inch of the interior of that car.
She spent a lot of time in that car.  Her 1st show was when she was barely a year old like Julie I'm sure.  I wish I would have taken more pix of her tagging along with me back then.  Back in the days when I could walk, her & I would do a lot of stuff together.  

Did you put a shoulder belt in the back in your rig, can't remember?

hemi68charger

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on May 21, 2013, 12:45:56 PM

Did you put a shoulder belt in the back in your rig, can't remember?

The tires aren't all that old, maybe 3 years old....... A valve stem went bad. Nope, there isn't a shoulder belt in the Daytona.....
Troy

oldcarnut

I just put a new set of Eagle GT II's 275's & 235's on about 5 years ago.  Now I can't find them on America's Tire website or the bay?

That last batch wasn't the final one was it?
They're not made anymore and you'll be super lucky to find them still in stock anywhere.  Even so the age date on them might make them unsellable

472 R/T SE

Quote from: oldcarnut on May 21, 2013, 02:06:55 PM

That last batch wasn't the final one was it?
They're not made anymore and you'll be super lucky to find them still in stock anywhere.  Even so the age date on them might make them unsellable

Well crap.  Thanks for answering my question.

Troy, with that bias ply I guess you're lucky it was the front that blew & not the rear.  Was it hard to get that tire out of your trunk?  I imagine the blown tire was pretty easy to put in.

You would think there's enough people in the Corvette crowd that would raise hell with Goodyear for not making them anymore but from the little reading I did in their forums they don't like them anyways.  It seems the prevailing choice are Firestones.  That might be my next choice.

Sorry for getting into your thread Troy.  Last thing I want is to be along side the road with a blown/flat tire.  Triple AAA won't do me much good either cause I have to be able to get in the truck & there's no way my ass is getting up that high.  Could you imagine the divot in the road if I were to fall from that high let alone a mild earthquake.   ;)

oldcarnut

Can't speak for your sizes but the 255's I called all the country for weren't avail.  Switched to looking for the Firestone same size and ran about into the same situation.  Managed to locate a few but finally decided to buy something that was going to be continued for a while in that size just in case something happened like Troy.  Anyway hope you get one

Budnicks

Great to see nothing happened, it would be a damn shame for the Daytona to get damaged, have you tried Coker tires maybe... they may have a knock off or something close anyway
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

hemi68charger

Quote from: Budnicks on May 22, 2013, 04:42:56 PM
Great to see nothing happened, it would be a damn shame for the Daytona to get damaged, have you tried Coker tires maybe... they may have a knock off or something close anyway

As of now, they don't sell Goodyears........ But, I may have found one............
Troy

Budnicks

Quote from: hemi68charger on May 23, 2013, 07:00:49 AM
Quote from: Budnicks on May 22, 2013, 04:42:56 PM

As of now, they don't sell Goodyears........ But, I may have found one............
yeah, I didn't think they did, but might have had something really close...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

nascarxx29

I think these look good on a daytona to in white or yellow.If they still make them .

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,28875.0.html

hemi68charger

Quote from: nascarxx29 on May 27, 2013, 10:48:50 AM
I think these look good on a daytona to in white or yellow.If they still make them .

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,28875.0.html

Unfortunately, Goodyear doesn't make ANY 15" street Goodyears with white or yellow raised lettering... Only racing tires....... Which I might have a source for those locally..
Troy