News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Thinking bout getting a more "economy friendly car"

Started by ChargerD100, May 17, 2013, 11:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOTWING

another buddy of mine parked his ram and bought a 98 mazda protege with 5spd. he's bragging on 37mpg. highway, paid $800 for it a couple months ago, it seems to have not missed a beat yet.

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Cooter

Quote from: F8-4life on May 19, 2013, 01:59:37 PM
Get a good 90's toyota, and your future-self will thank your current self for the smart choice.

:2thumbs:
Something WITH A THROTTLE CABLE, and the 1.8 Engine. All the way up to around 2004. GOOD engines and easy to swap T-chains in. Wifey's in on third T-chain and over 500K miles. Original engine uses some oil, original trans, etc. Good f'in cars .
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

F8-4life

Quote from: Cooter on May 19, 2013, 02:06:25 PM
Quote from: F8-4life on May 19, 2013, 01:59:37 PM
Get a good 90's toyota, and your future-self will thank your current self for the smart choice.

:2thumbs:
Something WITH A THROTTLE CABLE, and the 1.8 Engine. All the way up to around 2004. GOOD engines and easy to swap T-chains in. Wifey's in on third T-chain and over 500K miles. Original engine uses some oil, original trans, etc. Good f'in cars .

Good advice for sure, my current ride is a 2000 corolla 160k. Been a great car.

Silver R/T

Nissans are great cars, you can get Altima or Sentra and average about 32mpg city/highway.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

greenpigs

Get an old VW Beetle..think they get 30 mpg highway and are "easy" to fix.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Indygenerallee on May 19, 2013, 12:05:46 PM
Key to those VW diesels is to get a manual transmission version! Those automatics are junk behind the VW diesel.

They have a bad rep but my cousin is handicapped bought an 02 jetta TDi brand new. Got rid of it last year with 650,000km ~400,000 miles. Original tranny never opened.

He changed the glow plug set twice and 3 timing belt jobs that wa sit other than regular wear and tear items. Kept up the maintenance and change the trans fluid and filter regularly.

A383Wing

I wish I would have kept my Dad's 80 Rabbit diesel....4spd manual trans....55mpg all day long

Bryan

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: A383Wing on May 19, 2013, 10:32:47 PM
I wish I would have kept my Dad's 80 Rabbit diesel....4spd manual trans....55mpg all day long

Bryan

My 1st car was a slight upgrade. 85 golf 5 speed N/a diesel. Forget about passing cars but yup 50+mpg all the time.

GOTWING

A 383WING, HECK YEAH, when i was in high school my father drove a 1980 dasher diesel, the fuel mileage was just unreal. :yesnod:

r4daytona

Partial to old mopars here.  I'm getting to the point where I'm going to drive a 76-78 Volare with a slant 6! Not bad on gas, if they break the parts are cheap and you don't have to be BoBo the rubber boy twisting your arms and wrists to loosen a bolt to get it out.  Find a decent one, and drive it till it dies.  I'm not married so my girlfriend would just have to live with it.  Best of all, you can fishtail the rear in the ice and snow!!!  God i miss doing that.  Get an old Volare and just pretend you're some eccentric rich guy that likes classic cars!

SRT-440

My daily driver is a 2004 Dodge SRT4...I've owned it since new. Now it has 109K miles on it and has never had a problem...still has OEM clutch, brakes, timing belt..ect.
It can get 30mpg on the freeway if driven normal...and it's still fun to drive since it will also run a 13.5 in the quarter.
The problem with these cars is..most have been ragged on and treated like crap...but well maintained SRT4's are great reliable cars..and can be had for 6K or so.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)