News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Thinking bout getting a more "economy friendly car"

Started by ChargerD100, May 17, 2013, 11:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerD100

Ok maybe not the most economical car but gets better than 8mpg haha, Looking at getting myself a 95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD to add to my stable and get rid of my lifted truck (own too many gas hogs) anyone by any chance know, what a new bcm may cost for one? Ive been searching online all day and all that comes up are ECM's and other control modules cant find anything on bcms, maybe a i should find a talon or eclipse forum :scratchchin:
Current Mopars: 2014 Ram 2500 Cummins, 1970 Dodge D100

My old Build Thread: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,82511.0.html

Tilar

My nephew has a Talon and could probably tell you all about it. He's looking to trade it for something else. He had a fairly nice Jeep he traded for this talon a year or two ago and now he just wants something else. I should see him today, I'll ask him where he gets his parts from.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

ChargerD100

thanks man I appreciate it  :2thumbs: I know the car im gunna look at for sure needs a new head gasket but I hope it doesn't need a new head, that's where its gunna start getting expensive

My old Build Thread: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,82511.0.html

Mytur Binsdirti

ACUDANUT

You'll go broke fixing a old 95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD.

Cooter

Stay away from the 4G63 Turbo DOHC AWD drive Mitsubishi/Eagle Turds. Leave those to the Tuners to blow up. Afterall, they have mostly been run the hell already. You want something that will last you for a long time and you get it with over 100K on the clock? Get yourself a Toyota Corolla, 2WD pick up (22RE), Toyota Camery with 4Cyl (Leave that 3.0 POS V6 alone), Or Honda Civic/accord with MANUAL trans.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1974dodgecharger

Eat cooter said. I have a spare 95 civic I get 30mpg putting around Phoenix great saver and when I want my thrills I pull the 68, 383, 4 speed out once a day.....

Mike DC

QuoteYou want something that will last you for a long time and you get it with over 100K on the clock? Get yourself a Toyota Corolla, 2WD pick up (22RE), Toyota Camery with 4Cyl (Leave that 3.0 POS V6 alone), Or Honda Civic/accord with MANUAL trans.

I agree.

15yo manual tranny Civics work really well.  But it's getting increasingly difficult to find one that hasn't gotten Fasted & Furioused by a previous owner.  It's kind of like buying a lowered & tinted Chevy S-10 pickup from a 19yo mullethead who is selling it to pay off his child support lawyer - the original build quality of an S-10 is not what you need to worry about.

Corollas are pretty hard to beat for practicality.  No bullshit in the design & build quality and their first 1-2 owners usually treated them well.  But your masculinity may never recover from the repeated trauma of using one daily.  It's no coincidence that the main character in "Office Space" drove one, and the car was 15 years newer then.  

ChargerD100

Yeah i may look into other cars, the only reason i want this eagle is because it hasnt been all riced out, and i have a soft spot for em cuz a neighbor when i was bout 10 had one so the car was bout 4 years old at that time that was pretty bad ass until his buddy was house sitting for him got drunk and took it for a joy ride on a beer run and wrapped it around a pole, but i do know they are notorious like their twin eclipse for being a pos mechanically stock

Tilar

Quote from: ChargerD100 on May 18, 2013, 03:35:16 AM
thanks man I appreciate it  :2thumbs: I know the car im gunna look at for sure needs a new head gasket but I hope it doesn't need a new head, that's where its gunna start getting expensive

Talked to my nephew. He said Autozone might likely have that module, but he also said you can look on dsmtuners.com and look through the for sale section. He said there is a lot of knowledge about those things on that site.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

ChargerD100

Thanks for the info tilar, those guys over on that site have been extremely helpful  :2thumbs:

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Indygenerallee

If I were looking at buying a car that got extremely good gas mileage I would look at buying a new Dodge Dart!!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

A383Wing

I was gonna make a smart-ass comment about a Prius.....but I refrained

Bryan

ChargerD100

Quote from: Indygenerallee on May 18, 2013, 11:00:08 PM
If I were looking at buying a car that got extremely good gas mileage I would look at buying a new Dodge Dart!!

I actually really like the dart but credit is in the dumps (just had my 2011 ram repo'd) so gotta go with something i can save for a few paychecks and pay cash for thats not only good on gas but appealing to my eye haha, other option is a /6 71 demon which would be a pretty sweet beater if i had the money to have the motor gone through and make it run like a champ, but then id have to find a spandex wearing redhead n start selling shoes.... :P 

charger_fan_4ever

A4 VW diesels 99.5-03
Hard to get under 600 miles on a 14 gallon fill up. I have an 01 jetta 5 speed and 45mpg mixed driving is what i see all the time. Pure highway at the speed limit i get over 50mpg.

Very reliable cars too.

Used with under 200k miles around here can be had for $3k-4k.

Indygenerallee

Key to those VW diesels is to get a manual transmission version! Those automatics are junk behind the VW diesel.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Cooter

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 18, 2013, 01:30:26 PM
QuoteYou want something that will last you for a long time and you get it with over 100K on the clock? Get yourself a Toyota Corolla, 2WD pick up (22RE), Toyota Camery with 4Cyl (Leave that 3.0 POS V6 alone), Or Honda Civic/accord with MANUAL trans.

I agree.

Corollas are pretty hard to beat for practicality.  No bullshit in the design & build quality and their first 1-2 owners usually treated them well.  But your masculinity may never recover from the repeated trauma of using one daily.  It's no coincidence that the main character in "Office Space" drove one, and the car was 15 years newer then.  

"masculinity" has nothing to do with things when saving on fuel during daily commute. I got a cousin that has all but every type of firable weapon, including some ant-tank guns and he drives a Prius. I told him it was kinda "ghay". He told me "Say what you will, but I'm getting 70 Plus MPG and you can look "manly" all you want while your getting your 10-13 MPG." The Toyota Corolla is nowhere near a Pri-ass.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Silver R/T

Talons are nice if you take care of the car. We had 94 Eclipse non-turbo and it was very good car, very economical with 1.8L
I wish we still had it. Why do you need AWD, is there snow where you live that justifies owning an AWD?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Cooter

Worked at the Mits. dealer when these things were being PDI'd....JUNK. Burning oil in the 1.8 and 2.0 liter engines within the first 20K miles. The Mirage's were Worse. Lifters ticking were another problem. Mits. called them HLA's I think (Hydraulic Lash Adjusters). AWD in the turbo's were so the transaxle/halfshafts didn't come out of the car. Trubo is the key word here. If it's turbo'd then it was used. Boost = Killed engines. Got one in Texas right now my boy is trying to convince the new owner who just had to have it bought, why he needs to sell it. Smoking already. 100K miles on it.

They were junk when new, and only got worse. Had one of the NA 2.0 DOHC cars with only 70K miles on it come in the other day. Nice ride, but was using oil.

Run away. Far away.

Mike DC

I agree an old Corolla and a Prius aren't on the same level.  The Corolla doesn't come with the extra $10,000 Greenie social status option.

But compared to the kinds of F-1250s and Ram 5500s the typical musclecar guy drives, a 15yo 4-door beige Toyota Corolla probably is gonna lower Testosterone levels a bit.  I'm not trying to hate on it, I'm just calling it like it is.  

Cooter

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 19, 2013, 01:45:31 PM

But compared to the kinds of F-1250s and Ram 5500s the typical musclecar guy drives, a 15yo 4-door beige Toyota Corolla probably is gonna lower Testosterone levels a bit.  I'm not trying to hate on it, I'm just calling it like it is.  
I gotta get me one dem "Uber- masculine" F-1250's-Dodge 5500's....What size Diesel is in those again? 12.0 Liter?

GOTWING

one of my car guy friends got a new job and has to commute an hour and a half one way now, he went out and got a used high mile TDI VW Jetta that's a few years old, he loves it, 54mpg's ! unheard of, i had no idea they got that good!

Cooter

Until they break....Just like Diesel trucks. They are Wonderful...until they break. WTF good is it to save on Fuel during the year if it costs you Everything you saved and MORE to repair your vehicle when it breaks? Word of caution: Anything GERMAN engineered is costly to repair. Ever looked a"Track-Style" wiring diagrams on VW's? Oh yeah, it's FUUUNN!!!

F8-4life

Get a good 90's toyota, and your future-self will thank your current self for the smart choice.

GOTWING

another buddy of mine parked his ram and bought a 98 mazda protege with 5spd. he's bragging on 37mpg. highway, paid $800 for it a couple months ago, it seems to have not missed a beat yet.

Cooter

Cooter

Quote from: F8-4life on May 19, 2013, 01:59:37 PM
Get a good 90's toyota, and your future-self will thank your current self for the smart choice.

:2thumbs:
Something WITH A THROTTLE CABLE, and the 1.8 Engine. All the way up to around 2004. GOOD engines and easy to swap T-chains in. Wifey's in on third T-chain and over 500K miles. Original engine uses some oil, original trans, etc. Good f'in cars .

F8-4life

Quote from: Cooter on May 19, 2013, 02:06:25 PM
Quote from: F8-4life on May 19, 2013, 01:59:37 PM

:2thumbs:
Something WITH A THROTTLE CABLE, and the 1.8 Engine. All the way up to around 2004. GOOD engines and easy to swap T-chains in. Wifey's in on third T-chain and over 500K miles. Original engine uses some oil, original trans, etc. Good f'in cars .

Good advice for sure, my current ride is a 2000 corolla 160k. Been a great car.

Silver R/T

Nissans are great cars, you can get Altima or Sentra and average about 32mpg city/highway.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

greenpigs

Get an old VW Beetle..think they get 30 mpg highway and are "easy" to fix.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Indygenerallee on May 19, 2013, 12:05:46 PM
Key to those VW diesels is to get a manual transmission version! Those automatics are junk behind the VW diesel.

They have a bad rep but my cousin is handicapped bought an 02 jetta TDi brand new. Got rid of it last year with 650,000km ~400,000 miles. Original tranny never opened.

He changed the glow plug set twice and 3 timing belt jobs that wa sit other than regular wear and tear items. Kept up the maintenance and change the trans fluid and filter regularly.

A383Wing

I wish I would have kept my Dad's 80 Rabbit diesel....4spd manual trans....55mpg all day long

Bryan

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: A383Wing on May 19, 2013, 10:32:47 PM
I wish I would have kept my Dad's 80 Rabbit diesel....4spd manual trans....55mpg all day long

Bryan

My 1st car was a slight upgrade. 85 golf 5 speed N/a diesel. Forget about passing cars but yup 50+mpg all the time.

GOTWING

A 383WING, HECK YEAH, when i was in high school my father drove a 1980 dasher diesel, the fuel mileage was just unreal. :yesnod:

r4daytona

Partial to old mopars here.  I'm getting to the point where I'm going to drive a 76-78 Volare with a slant 6! Not bad on gas, if they break the parts are cheap and you don't have to be BoBo the rubber boy twisting your arms and wrists to loosen a bolt to get it out.  Find a decent one, and drive it till it dies.  I'm not married so my girlfriend would just have to live with it.  Best of all, you can fishtail the rear in the ice and snow!!!  God i miss doing that.  Get an old Volare and just pretend you're some eccentric rich guy that likes classic cars!

SRT-440

My daily driver is a 2004 Dodge SRT4...I've owned it since new. Now it has 109K miles on it and has never had a problem...still has OEM clutch, brakes, timing belt..ect.
It can get 30mpg on the freeway if driven normal...and it's still fun to drive since it will also run a 13.5 in the quarter.
The problem with these cars is..most have been ragged on and treated like crap...but well maintained SRT4's are great reliable cars..and can be had for 6K or so.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)