News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear lights/indicator question

Started by Rosco, May 23, 2013, 05:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosco

To my understanding, the taillight assembly for a '69 is three "sets" of lights, for lack of a better word, on each side. The centre-most is taillight only, and lights up bright. The two outer "sets" on each side are combination taillight - which uses a lower intensity lamp, break light - which uses the higher-intensity lamp, and turn indicator that also uses the higher-intensity lamp, but flashing obviously instead of a solid light.

Now, this would mean that your rear indicators are red, not amber/yellow, which is the standard indicator colour in Australia.

From what I've been able to find online, this is perfectly OK to register (at least in the state of Victoria) because the car was manufactured prior to a certain date, and that's the way it came from factory.
Can any Australian members - especially Victorians - comment on whether this is the case?

Second, what options have people done/seen done to have amber/yellow rear indicators? I would like to have amber indicators even if they aren't required for roadworthy inspection/registration.

I think I saw someone had replaced the reverse-lights lenses and wired them for indicators. This seems like a good idea, but I would like to have the reverse lights as well. I suppose I could always have 2 sets - one for reverse lights, one for indicators..?

I would prefer not to change any of the taillight assembly itself into indicators, as the almost side-to-side bar of taillights is one of the things that really makes the rear end in my opinion.
"She needs premium, Dude! PREMIUM!!"

charger Downunder

I got some lens dye and painted my reverse light globes orange. So it is now used for both reverse light which will now be orange and also for blinkers. I also moved them out to the sides. If you can have it the way it is leave it. Or just put some orange led's in the two that you want to be an orange colour it will come through the red lens an orange color.
[/quote]

Rosco

That's probably the easiest. Or I could go for several LED's of each colour in each reverse light housing..?

I dunno, just throwing ideas around in my head...

fy469rtse

I had the same thoughts , I bought a kit for front Park lights going to buy another kit for rear, as soon as I find paperwork I will post it, led front Parker lights, as soon as you put indicator on amber led takes over white led goes out simultaneously amber led flashes then reverts back to white led park light, day time operation is that of standard amber led flashing when using indicators , if you can't wait for me to post seller was on us eBay , did led tail lights for 69 dodge chargers

richRTSE

QuoteTo my understanding, the taillight assembly for a '69 is three "sets" of lights, for lack of a better word, on each side. The centre-most is taillight only, and lights up bright. The two outer "sets" on each side are combination taillight - which uses a lower intensity lamp, break light - which uses the higher-intensity lamp, and turn indicator that also uses the higher-intensity lamp, but flashing obviously instead of a solid light.

This isn't going to help your problem any, but the correct factory lighting should have the 2 center-most bulbs at a lower intensity, so when just the lights are on all six bulbs are the same intensity. For brakes and turn signals, the outer 4 are brighter while the center 2 stay lower...

the lights in this picture are incorrect...

richRTSE

QuoteSecond, what options have people done/seen done to have amber/yellow rear indicators? I would like to have amber indicators even if they aren't required for roadworthy inspection/registration.

..and I'm pretty sure I've seen this but can't find the pictures now... I think it was the dark blue Daytona that was in Australia but now back in US?? ...1970 Charger taillights have a rectangular reflector molded into the lens over the middle bulb...I believe on that blue Daytona the red reflector was cut out and a yellow one glued in...maybe someone else has a picture of that??  Here's a picture of a '70 tail light...

A383Wing

Quote from: fy469rtse on May 25, 2013, 06:24:18 AM
I had the same thoughts , I bought a kit for front Park lights going to buy another kit for rear, as soon as I find paperwork I will post it, led front Parker lights, as soon as you put indicator on amber led takes over white led goes out simultaneously amber led flashes then reverts back to white led park light, day time operation is that of standard amber led flashing when using indicators , if you can't wait for me to post seller was on us eBay , did led tail lights for 69 dodge chargers

those are called "switchback LED's"

not cheap...and those would work in the reverse lights for back-up & turn signals....you would have to wire the "amber" portion of that LED to the front turn signal wire for each side, otherwise your amber light would light up when brake is applied. This would mean you need to run 2 wires from rear to front turn signal lights'

Bryan

Rosco

Thanks or the input guys!
Still not sure what I'm gonna go with, but I've got a while to think it over haha.
Thanks again

Fred

Owen, I believe the cut off point was 68. Having said that though, I see many 69's with red indicator lights here in Victoria. I think as long as you leave it LHD it won't be a problem. It's only if you start modifying the car that it will become an issue.
Easiest way to make sure....Just give Vic Roads a call.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

polywideblock

i'v got red tail lights in the 71 roadrunner and all i had to do was split the lights so the outside set are blinkers only ,thats in nsw

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE