News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Coronet Brake System

Started by markbob, May 18, 2013, 02:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markbob

Hey all....

have a 4 wheel power drum brake system....

I have all new stainless brake lines and wheel cylinders....

the proportioning valve and master cylinder are original to the car when I purchased it...

I hooked everything up, and bled the front brakes....then I moved to the rear....everything was fine until the rear of the master cylinder began leaking and fluid ran down between the master cylinder and brake booster....

I purchased a new master cylinder, and installed it....

today I filled it up and began to bleed the brakes....I bled the front and it appeared to go fine....

I tried to do the rear brakes and there is no fluid coming out of either side....
I disconnected the ss line from the rear flexible line.....no fluid in there either(other than a few drops).

I moved to the proportioning valve, and loosened the line that goes into the top of it from the master cylinder....a hiss and some fluid....

I tried the front brake line ports....got fluid to come out....
I tried the rear brake line ports, and nothing....not a drop

any ideas? I am thinking it's either a bad master cylinder, or there is a blockage in the forward line that sends fluid to the rear brakes....

Help...please!

Mark

resq302

see if you aer getting any fluid out where the lines connect and keep going backwards to the rear tires.  The correct way of bleeding the brakes is furthest from the master cylinder first, then working your way up to the master cyl keeping with the one that is furthest away working your way all the way around the car.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

markbob

I may have inadvertently left the left rear wheel cylinder cracked open
Slightly
This may have allowed air into the system as i was bleeding front brakes
Is his plausible?

resq302

not likely as the reservoir is a dual reservoir basically making it two separate systems functioning together as one.  but I could be wrong.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto