News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering gear hits inner fender

Started by johnatkens, April 29, 2013, 10:25:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnatkens

Hi , I am assisting with the reassembly of a 69 hemi Charger 500, the owner has elected to go with power steering and we purchased a rebuilt gear, when trying to install it the gear hits the inner fender well before being tightened to the final position. the K frame does appear to have more lip exposed on the left side but I dont think the little movement that may be possible would be enough. Is there a special gear for hemi cars or different K frame for power steering ?

toocheaptosmoke

On my '70 there was a 1/8" thick shim placed between the gear box and the mount, only on the drivers side bolt.  I needed to re-install that shim upon assembly otherwise my box hit the fender too, it's close.  Not sure if it's the same deal in your case, mine's a 318 car.

johnatkens

Thanks for the info, we did try a spacer as you suggested but it takes more than 1/4 inch to get clearance and that leaves a sizable gap where the 2 inner bolts attach the gear and while it may work ok I am not convinced it is correct.

Hard Charger

69 500 or not they all mount the same way. with the same case.