News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Well, it happened. Again. The Saga Continues!

Started by bill440rt, May 14, 2013, 10:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

So, yesterday I decided to be a nice dad and surprised my son who's in 2nd grade, and picked him up from school with my '68 (he refers to it as the "hot rod").

I rolled up to the school, parked down just a bit away from any crowds.
Locked up the car, and started walking up to his school. I walked past a few parked cars with parents ready to pick up their kids.

As I passed one car, a woman in her upper 50's/early '60's rolls her window down.

And then it happened. "Nice Camaro!!"    Her:  :o  :drool5:        Me:  :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:  :rofl:

I just chuckled a bit, said "Why, thank you!", and kept going. That was my laugh for the day.  :lol:

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

marshallfry01

Everybody loves those Chevy chargers. 68 was the best year for them!!  :smilielol:
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

Fred

What can I say.  Oh yeah..........I think I've got the wrong badges on my car.  :icon_smile_big:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Kern Dog

JB400

Can't educate everyone even if they did graduate school. :brickwall:

twodko

You can lead them to water but you can't make them drink.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

stripedelete

It could have been worse.  She could have stopped and told you about the 65 Challenger with a 396 that she used to have.

Rosco

Haha, some people just don't know classic cars very well I guess...  :shruggy:

My neighbour for example, "I see you bought a Mustang! It'll be really good when its finished!"

"Yeah, it'll be so good it won't even be a Ford!  :D :lol:

Quote from: Fred on May 14, 2013, 10:29:33 PM
What can I say.  Oh yeah..........I think I've got the wrong badges on my car.  :icon_smile_big:

Just made me think of all the old Holden One-Tonners, Monaros, Toranas etc... and a lot of new Holden's for that matter, plastered with Chevy badges!
"She needs premium, Dude! PREMIUM!!"

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

vick79

ive had people ask if my '00 Viper gts is the "new corvette"... i just say 'yes'
'70 Charger RT

1974dodgecharger

think there was a thread somewhere about the funniest comments its like 5 pages long funny stuff.....same stories as this one bill hahhaa....always laugh.

VegasCharger

Well let's see Bill:

1st pic your car, 2nd pic what she claimed what your car was.

Not even close  :brickwall:

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: VegasCharger on May 15, 2013, 03:58:51 AM
Well let's see Bill:

Not even close  :brickwall:

Now get seriously drunk, lose all interest in cars, look at the pictures again and see if you can tell the difference. The average motorist can't  :rotz:

On a side note, i wonder if camaro owners get their cars mistaken for chargers?  :scratchchin:

RIDELIKEHELL

I keep getting the "nice Challenger"
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

remta1

they both look the same to me ...oh hold on ive got my eyes closed :smilielol:

Dodge Don

I keep meaning to do the same thing one day and pick up my kids in the Charger. Their school principal (a woman) is some kind of gear head...she keeps bugging my wife to get me to bring the car to school so she can see it. The school year is closing fast so maybe I can work it in before they are out for summer...hard since I'm at work all day.

Turns out one of my sons friends father has a classic Mustang he just got so I may see him at the local cruise nights this year.

Dino

I had a guy arguing with me last week.  He's looking at my car in the parking lot and says nice Challenger.  I say it's a Charger and he's oh no, I know them well....

I walked away, I don't have any patience for these dumbasses.  You could read the damn emblem on the grille from where we were standing.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

41husk

I get asked how I got the camaro front end on my Daytona
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Cooter

So.......I guess it woulda been better if she had said "So, When you gonna paint it orange?"
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

projectanimal

That's very funny and Sad.....I had a co-worker who practically wanted to throw down after I corrected him that the General Lee was not a challenger....   

Bill I think you have one of the most beautiful 4-4-2's...!!!!     :nana: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
northwest CT

1974dodgecharger

Put a 1 and flag on that camaro and boy........

bill440rt

The whole incident (all 5 seconds of it), actually just made me chuckle. I didn't think anything of it than just a lady trying to pass a compliment, whether she knew what kind of car it was or not. That's why I merely just said "thank you" and moved on. The fact that she called it a Camaro is what made me laugh.
Big difference than some belligerent, argumentative, know it all a$$wipe ("No, that's a Challenger, I used to have one!") LOL

Share your funny stories, some of these are great!  :lol:

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: vick79 on May 15, 2013, 02:29:38 AM
ive had people ask if my '00 Viper gts is the "new corvette"... i just say 'yes'

Thats funny, great idea.. :smilielol: :smilielol: :slap:

Budnicks

:2thumbs: At least they are saying it's nice !!!!
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

ws23rt

Even if the general public doesn't know what it is they know what looks good. That is the compliment.

Fred

Quote from: ws23rt on May 15, 2013, 04:59:50 PM
Even if the general public doesn't know what it is they know what looks good. That is the compliment.

Quote from: Budnicks on May 15, 2013, 04:48:48 PM
:2thumbs: At least they are saying it's nice !!!!

A couple of good points.  :2thumbs:   Just enjoy the compliment

Patronus

Quote from: Dino on May 15, 2013, 07:38:20 AM
I had a guy arguing with me last week.  He's looking at my car in the parking lot and says nice Challenger.  I say it's a Charger and he's oh no, I know them well....

I walked away, I don't have any patience for these dumbasses.  You could read the damn emblem on the grille from where we were standing.

I just give them the "stare" ..seems ever since I can remember I have this Clintesque stare where I just look through you. Usually after an uncomfortable amount of silence I generally turn my head and spit. That usually sends em packing.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Fred

Quote from: Patronus on May 15, 2013, 10:49:13 PM
Quote from: Dino on May 15, 2013, 07:38:20 AM
I had a guy arguing with me last week.  He's looking at my car in the parking lot and says nice Challenger.  I say it's a Charger and he's oh no, I know them well....

I walked away, I don't have any patience for these dumbasses.  You could read the damn emblem on the grille from where we were standing.

I just give them the "stare" ..seems ever since I can remember I have this Clintesque stare where I just look through you. Usually after an uncomfortable amount of silence I generally turn my head and spit. That usually sends em packing.

I don't think we have as many dumbasses in this country.  :icon_smile_big: Or else I just haven't come across them. I've never had my charger called anything but a charger.
No offence.

lloyd3

In theory, I'm going to be going to school to pick up my 9-year old son next Monday in a car that I haven't driven in almost 5-years.  Considering what it has taken (in time, money and sweat) to get the car to this point, if a mom tells me it's a nice Cougar, I'll still be in a good place.

Fred

Quote from: lloyd3 on May 16, 2013, 10:29:44 PM
In theory, I'm going to be going to school to pick up my 9-year old son next Monday in a car that I haven't driven in almost 5-years.  Considering what it has taken (in time, money and sweat) to get the car to this point, if a mom tells me it's a nice Cougar, I'll still be in a good place.

Enjoy the ride.  :2thumbs:

bill440rt

Quote from: lloyd3 on May 16, 2013, 10:29:44 PM

Let's hope you can tell her she's a nice Cougar, too!  :drool5:   :icon_smile_wink:  :lol:

Enjoy every minute of it, the look on my son's face was priceless!  :2thumbs:

GOTWING

quote, " Charger , Challenger there all the same"  :lol:

quote from a clown at my work while looking at a superbird on my calander " why would they put a corvette front end on that "

I had a family member say while watching the newest Starsky and Hutch movie with me, "isnt that the same kind of car in the dukes of hazzard?"  :lol:

While at a small hometown car show, "There is no way your superbird is a real one" oh really, well here it sits. :slap:

Dino

Yesterday afternoon, I was at the car wash and this guy comes over for a chat.  We talk for about 5 minutes about all sorts of cars when all of a sudden he stops and asks me why my Roadrunner has Charger emblems...I kid you not...
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Cooter

Of course, NONE of you even thought that many in the public TRY VERY HARD to do this vewry thing to see how many of you will act all pompus and arrogant and NOT laugh and say "thank You"...I have seen this with the General Lee happen. They call it a Camaro, Cougar, whatever just to get a rise. It really hurts their feelings when it doesn't.

When at a car show I simply ask to see THEIR car. Then whatever it is, ESPECIALLY if it's a FORD, I'll call it a nice Camaro just for payback.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

PlainfieldCharger

Usually not an issue with me when a female notices anything about my cars...and gets it wrong, it when the dudes do :shruggy:

68CoronetRT

People tell me I have a "Sweet 68 Charger"... even though it's clearly a Coronet. I just take it with stride.  :hah:

ACUDANUT

I have had people tell me that the Coronets and Chargers are the same thing, except taillights and grill. Errrr

ws23rt

They had the same mom but different dads. The question is who did mom like best?

ACUDANUT

Well imo, the RR and coronets share more in common, vs a Charger and a Coronet.

ws23rt

I miss the plymouth brand name. The rr/gtx do share much with the coronet. But B body is B body. Charger wins in the body lines measure for me.

Fred

Quote from: ws23rt on May 17, 2013, 09:36:00 PM
I miss the plymouth brand name. The rr/gtx do share much with the coronet. But B body is B body. Charger wins in the body lines measure for me.

May I second that?

71ChallengeHer

I always get nice Charger   :shruggy:  at least they call it a Dodge.   :icon_smile_question:     

Cooter

Challenger/Cuda= Nice '69 Camaro...

'68-'70 B-body= Nice charger/Roadrunner My Dad had one back in 1966 when they were new.

'68-'70 Charger = So, When you gonna finish putting on the "01" and flag????

Baldwinvette77

My charger just got mistaken for a "nova" of unknown model year, i can't think of a single nova that looks anything like a charger  :scratchchin: but, the kid was convinced (was about my age)

archie360

I'm waiting for the day when somebody tell's me it's not a Charger cause it only has two doors  :laugh:
1971 SE 383HP     1972 Rallye 340

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: archie360 on May 19, 2013, 09:40:15 PM
I'm waiting for the day when somebody tell's me it's not a Charger cause it only has two doors  :laugh:

Oh God... the modern chargers sicken me, im ashamed that they are built in my city, everyday i see truckloads of them being shipped out  :rotz:

472 R/T SE

My favorite is the one's that know better that try & show their superior knowledge by asking if it's real.

I usually respond with, "Touch it, does it feel real?".   ;)

Fred

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on May 19, 2013, 09:50:31 PM

Oh God... the modern chargers sicken me, im ashamed that they are built in my city, everyday i see truckloads of them being shipped out  :rotz:

Is that because you have them aplenty over there? We (as say we as I don't think I'm alone) over here on the other hand can't wait to see them land on our shores. If it happens, I'm considering one as a daily driver. Of course they'll come with a ridiculous price tag but one I'm sure a lot of Aussies will be happy to pay.
I'd love to see an old and a new charger standing side by side in my garage.

tan top

she said it looks like camero eh , maybe she some relation to who ever built the car below  ;D

Well let's see Bill:

:scratchchin:   ;) :lol:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Cooter

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Fred on May 20, 2013, 02:37:38 AM

Is that because you have them aplenty over there? We (as say we as I don't think I'm alone) over here on the other hand can't wait to see them land on our shores. If it happens, I'm considering one as a daily driver. Of course they'll come with a ridiculous price tag but one I'm sure a lot of Aussies will be happy to pay.

Well don't take it too badly, the reason i hate them here is because EVERYONE in this city is familiar with the four door charger, some of them try to convince me the first year for the charger was 2005.. when i told 1 person i have a 68, he said, "uhh. no, those things werent built until 2006 or whatever"  :rotz: it's not a bad car, i just hate whats its done to the old one.. plus why cant they offer a 2 door model, very mundane cars, civics, caviliers, neons. all had sedans a 2 doors available  :shruggy:

Fred

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on May 20, 2013, 04:04:28 PM
Quote from: Fred on May 20, 2013, 02:37:38 AM

Well don't take it too badly, the reason i hate them here is because EVERYONE in this city is familiar with the four door charger, some of them try to convince me the first year for the charger was 2005.. when i told 1 person i have a 68, he said, "uhh. no, those things werent built until 2006 or whatever"  :rotz: it's not a bad car, i just hate whats its done to the old one.. plus why cant they offer a 2 door model, very mundane cars, civics, caviliers, neons. all had sedans a 2 doors available  :shruggy:

I guess they were trying to make them more family friendly (up the sales) but a two door would be just fine with me.  I'd prefer it.  As for anyone that thinks charger's were fist built in 2005, well, what can I say. They've probably never heard good music either.  :lol:

ws23rt

None of this would be a talking point if when dodge made a new car they gave it a new name. They apparently wanted to squeeze out all the money value left over from a winner. A tadpole is just that. A frog is not a tadpole.

Fred

That's what I find ridiculous too. The new versions (in most cases) bear absolutely no resemblance to the originals so why bother. I can't tell any modern car apart anymore without checking the badge. Even jags are looking ordinary.
It's like our new Monaro's, in it's hay day you could pick it out a mile away. Now it looks just like every other Holden Commodore, the only difference being the price tag. (I'm talking about your Pontiac)

JB400

Your Holden is our Chevy.  Pontiac was forced to walk the Trail of Tears with the gov. takeover.

nh_mopar_fan

Girl: "Hey look it's a 67 Charger" (Don't give her too much credit, my plate is "ITSA67")
Boyfrend "HA. They didn't make Chargers in 1967..."

Me: Eye roll.

Benji

Well let's see Bill:

Whattiyya mean not even close. To a woman they are identical.  They both have four wheels, a windshield, four side windows and a window in the back plus a steering wheel.  Identical ya see?

Ben

Fred

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on May 21, 2013, 03:26:36 AM
Your Holden is our Chevy.  Pontiac was forced to walk the Trail of Tears with the gov. takeover.

Yes I do know that stroker.  I only referred to it in the sense so the members know what I was talking about when I mention Holden Monaro.
But the Pontiac GTO was manufactured here by Holden for export to the USA in 2006. It's a Holden Monaro with GTO badging.

Holden Monaro   Export markets
2006 Pontiac GTO
Vauxhall Monaro VXRThe third generation Monaro was exported to several overseas markets. It was sold as a (right hand drive) in South Africa as the Chevrolet Lumina. It was also sold, in left hand drive, in the Middle East as the Chevrolet Lumina Coupe, and in the United States as the Pontiac GTO, reviving another classic muscle car icon. However, at least one commentator[20] has described it as a 'flop' because of its poor US sales. It was withdrawn from the US market in 2006, although a few were still on dealers' lots in 2007.

Pontiac GTO [edit]

Pontiac GTO [edit]Main article: Pontiac GTO
Complaints from American consumers[21] about the Pontiac GTO's more modern styling saw the addition of two hood scoops in 2005 with the VZ series Monaro to recall the later muscle-car variants of the late 1960s' models; the hood scoops vent in cool air to the engine bay but do not directly feed the engine. In the eyes of the Australian press, the scoops have spoiled the lines,[22] while the American media seemed to accept them. The 2005 and 2006 GTO also received a Gen IV 6.0 L engine putting out 400 hp (298 kW); the Australian HSV GTO coupe got a similar engine in its Z series; and Vauxhall launched this as the Monaro VXR in the UK.

440 Fanatic

Quote from: RIDELIKEHELL on May 15, 2013, 05:56:17 AM
I keep getting the "nice Challenger"

Several years ago ,  i mean decades rather , my dad bought "The World of Automobiles: An illustrated encyclopedia of the motor car"  It was roughly 25-30 volumes. It's been many years since I saw this, but, They made a similar mistake, but I can't recall if the pic was of a Challenger that they called a Charger, or the other way around. Saddened me to see that kind or error in this type of book.

Baldwinvette77

i just saw a contest on the fast and furious movie website and they called the 1970 charger from the first movie a challenger, on another note, in the ending credits of the 4th movie the 70 charger morphs into an animated 70 challenger  :rotz: , nothing wrong with challengers, i love them, but whats all the confusion  :shruggy: a charger is like 25% longer and thats just for starters.

VegasCharger

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on May 21, 2013, 09:45:03 PM
i just saw a contest on the fast and furious movie website and they called the 1970 charger from the first movie a challenger, on another note, in the ending credits of the 4th movie the 70 charger morphs into an animated 70 challenger  :rotz: , nothing wrong with challengers, i love them, but whats all the confusion  :shruggy: a charger is like 25% longer and thats just for starters.

that may explain this.................

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: VegasCharger on May 22, 2013, 03:44:47 AM

thats kinda cool hehehe...Ill buy those.

bill440rt

OK, so I go again tonite to a small, local cruise night. Nothing big, maybe 50 cars or so.
Got the hood up on my '68, a friend walks by & introduces me to another guy who starts asking me questions. These were all seriously asked questions, and he seemed like a nice guy. (No, I didn't get asked when I was gonna paint it orange, put a rebel flag on it, and go sliding across my hood.)  :lol:

"Is this the original color?"
No sir, it was green.
"Lime green???"
Uh, no. Olive drab metallic green.
"Oh. Is that a 383?" (440 pie tin is staring right up plain as day.)
Ah, no, that's a 440.
(And here it comes...)
"Oh....  is that a CHEVY engine??"  (me:  :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:)
Ah, errr... ah, no, that's a Mopar engine.

Then had ice cream with the wife & kids. That seemed to make everything all better.  :lol:

A383Wing

everyone that see's our Daytona calls it a 'Bird.....really??

it has the biggest stripe on the rear saying what it is...they can't read??

Bryan

Ghoste

I think I've had more who figured the 383 was a Chevy because of the bowtie strokers out there.  Very frustrating.

bill440rt

Quote from: A383Wing on June 09, 2013, 10:38:51 PM
everyone that see's our Daytona calls it a 'Bird.....really??

it has the biggest stripe on the rear saying what it is...they can't read??

Bryan

I was at a show a long time ago with a dear friend (RIP).
He had a beautiful orange 'Bird.
Some guy walks up and asks, "What is this, a PONTIAC?"  :smilielol:  :brickwall:
Meanwhile, it had giant P-L-Y-M-O-U-T-H decals flanking the quarters like huge billboards.
"Uh, no this is a Plymouth."  That was truly hilarious.

ws23rt

I was checking the oil at a gas stop with my hemi rr About 1985 and the attendant came over to help. He said wow where did you get those head covers. I said they came with the engine. So where can you buy them?. You buy the engine and they are tossed in for free. But I just want the head covers.
I do recall someone used to make valve covers that looked like the hemi for a small block chevy. Is this a false memory?

fy469rtse

You need to come over to Australia, I have people come up to me say that they had an Aussie charger just like that when they were younger and not any smarter lol , then they ask why the steering wheel is on the wrong side, you explain again that its an American charger , they then ask ? What they copied ours damn those yanks , they can't come up with any ideas of there own  :o :brickwall:

Troy

Quote from: VegasCharger on May 22, 2013, 03:44:47 AM

Ummm, there was an orange Challenger in one of those movies (2, 3, or 4????). My nephew has them all and I see bits and pieces every once in a while.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Charger_Dart

Reminds me of a car show I was at years ago with my bird when a guy walks up and asks "Where did you get that Rack?" I am trying to figure out what the heck he is asking about when he finally points to the wing. I said it came with the car, and so he goes on to tell me the previous owner must have ordered it from J.C. Whitney and how he has to get one for his Honda   :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: 
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

JB400

FF 1  70 Charger

FF2 Challenger

FF Tokyo Drift  70 Plymouth

FF  70 Charger returns

F5 70 Charger

seaweed

Late October last year a car magazine where to com to our little town for some pic's of local car's (mostly drifters and custom bug's)
Anyway me and a friend (Impala -64) drove down to the location and the reporter saw my Charger, jumped in front of me asking if i would want to be in a side report.
I agreed and we went downtown and took some pics.

In May this year the magazine finally came and i got it in print I DRIVE A CHALLENGER -68  :brickwall:

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: seaweed on June 10, 2013, 04:43:59 PM
Late October last year a car magazine where to com to our little town for some pic's of local car's (mostly drifters and custom bug's)
Anyway me and a friend (Impala -64) drove down to the location and the reporter saw my Charger, jumped in front of me asking if i would want to be in a side report.
I agreed and we went downtown and took some pics.

In May this year the magazine finally came and i got it in print I DRIVE A CHALLENGER -68  :brickwall:

really???? maybe thats why everyone in my city thinks chargers were introduced in 2005, because every dodge before then was a "challenger" to them  :rotz:  wonder if 4 door coronets will be mistaken for old chargers  :brickwall: