News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 block engine number location ?

Started by fy469rtse, May 12, 2013, 05:05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fy469rtse

Was just reading threads about engine numbers, I have a casting date year 70 that I have built for my 69 , went looking for the pad on pan rail , ? Nothing , no raised pad on either side of pan rail, stamped hp 1  c 440 then under that 10  x & a diamond on top pad, where do I look for engine number , nothing in the usual places,

oestermarken

The C on the top pad indicates a 1967 block. MOPAR engines are not stamped with serialnumber before 1968.

More engine codes:
http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/motor/36.html

/Brian
69 383 4bbl
White Hat Special
Light Bronze Metallic

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

John_Kunkel

The only time an engine got a unique "serial number" was if it was stamped on the bottom of the pan rail where it extends under the starter. Side stampings are VIN's and top stampings are build data.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

fy469rtse

I think your right, always thought for some reason that I had a 70 block, just crawled out from having a look for casting numbers and such , casting number  2536430-8 , 1-13-66, am I correct and assume that this block was cast on the 13 of jan 1966, there is also on the underside of one the ears to the bell housing area one distinct number 8 stamped there, that happens to match core number for number of casts to that casting mould
My problem is that even know this engine is not numbers matching, authority's here in Australia like some sort of engine number for details in the process of registration of this car for road use .
If this was a 68 engine it would have had vin on rear parting surface to transmission,
I need to stamp something on to engine to register vehicle.
Any advice especially from any Australian guys on here, what to stamp on engine , otherwise it will be a long drawn out affair explaining to authority's here that early engines were not stamped,

fy469rtse

Quote from: John_Kunkel on May 12, 2013, 03:33:01 PM

The only time an engine got a unique "serial number" was if it was stamped on the bottom of the pan rail where it extends under the starter. Side stampings are VIN's and top stampings are build data.
yeh checked there , only one distinct number 8 on one ear underside, ? what was that for , - casting number also an 8 , maybe to do with the mold when cast