News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Starter Install

Started by markbob, May 13, 2013, 09:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markbob

Hey all...

am trying to get the Coronet finished....and wanted to know if anyone had any tips for installing the starter.....any "gotchas"?

I read the service manual.....not sure what it means by backing the starter off.....

HELP!

thanks,

Mark

68CoronetRT

Need more info.

Headers? Mini starter? stock starter? BB? SB?

I'm dreading the starter install on my Coronet one day. Pretty much have to extract the header from the car to get it out. Not sure if the header has to come out the bottom or not either.

markbob

Thanks for the reply....

I have a stock setup......the car had headers prior to disassembly, and I cut them off with a sawzall.....what a pain.....

I am just worried I will chip a tooth on the torque converter if I don't do something correctly....

thanks,

Mark

68CoronetRT

Quote from: markbob on May 14, 2013, 05:58:48 AM
Thanks for the reply....

I have a stock setup......the car had headers prior to disassembly, and I cut them off with a sawzall.....what a pain.....

I am just worried I will chip a tooth on the torque converter if I don't do something correctly....

thanks,

Mark

I think you should be ok with a stock starter or mini starter. I know there is a difference in bell housing's but it would be impossible to mess the starter up.

If it happens to land on a tooth it will bind for a second and then mesh properly after that, I wouldn't be worried about that! Good Luck!

John_Kunkel

The nose hub of the starter fits into a socket in the bellhousing, be sure the hub is centered in the socket before attempting to tighten the fasteners....if not, the ears on the starter will crack.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

fy469rtse

Dont for get the tin gasket, you should be alright  i got mine out through the top and same again for the mini install, once it lines up on the stud and insert in the bell housing , it pretty much lines its self up, the worst part is the studs for battery connections , you might want to take off the plastic covered extended step to those , will touch the block, and studs come close even with that off , you can trim the larger stud down a touch , but by doing that much easier to connect leads on as you put it in .

1974dodgecharger

took me roughly 2 hours or so playing tetris with mine and I had a mini starter, but my hooker headers got in the way for everything.  Scratched up my wheel wheel area, but after PM a fellow member he through some ideas at me such as turn the steering wheel all the way to right etc.

Hard Charger

2 bolts and the starter pulls out straight. if you are stock you may need to remove a splash shield. if the starter has not been removed there is a small clip holding the trans cooler lines on the out bolt.
when reinstalling make sure you have batter positive cable already attached to the starter. lastly there is another tin dust shield to align the bolts in if you have an automatic.