News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'69 Charger from Italy

Started by pippo702, May 11, 2013, 08:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rarefish

Wow... what a undertaking your restoration will be. It's good to know that there are still a lot of brave souls out there who are not afraid of any challenge.

ws23rt

If it can't be fixed that means it isn't broken.

projectanimal

Very cool!  Welcome aboard and good luck!   :cheers:
northwest CT

GL#10

Hey

Glad to see another charger saved and being reborn into a General Lee , lot's of work ahead of you but it will be worth it in the end , again glad you have saved another charger
from the crusher .

joerg

Quote from: pippo702 on May 11, 2013, 09:49:50 PM
Quote from: 69charger2002 on May 11, 2013, 09:05:11 PM
That is one of the worst frames i have ever seen!!

Now that's encouraging!  :'( I really hope it's worth it..

A nice welcome from Austria and have fun restoring the Charger.
And the one thing left to say is that everything that makes u happy and u enjoy is worth it.

Dino

The most fun restos I ever did were the ones nobody wanted to touch.  It's incredibly satisfying to bring back a car like that.   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Aero426

Quote from: pippo702 on May 11, 2013, 08:38:11 PM

As you can see the frame is badly damaged and my bigger concearn is : will it be straight again? I bought on ebay a sheet with the measurement of a B body..is it worth it?

Does the body shop have an electronic measuring system like a "Shark" , or jig and fixture type bench repair system available?   If so, which one?

Can you post or take a pic of the measurement sheet and let me see what you have?  

For the front, it may be wise to obtain a complete B-body front clip with rails as an assembly from the torsion bar crossmember forward.    It look like you need most if not all of this.

pippo702

Quote from: Fred on May 11, 2013, 10:01:07 PM
Welcome to the forum pippo and congrats.  :2thumbs:  
I can see a lot of blood and sweat going into that project but it will keep you out of trouble  :lol:
Enjoy the journey. It may not seem like it now but there's light at the end of the tunnel and when you get there, you'll be smiling from ear to ear.   :drive:

Thanks! I can't wait!

pippo702

Quote from: Johnnys440Charger on May 11, 2013, 10:15:07 PM
Ciao Pippo.  Bravo!  e Benvenuti.  Tanti Auguri   Saluti e viva

Thanks! I see you speak Italian... :2thumbs:
ciao Johnny!

pippo702

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on May 12, 2013, 05:41:46 AM
Mama Mia! That's a heck of a way to remove the engine & transmission!

really? That was our first time..we were short in time..

pippo702

Quote from: ws23rt on May 12, 2013, 08:13:59 AM
If it can't be fixed that means it isn't broken.

I like it! thanks..

pippo702

Quote from: rarefish on May 12, 2013, 08:01:16 AM
Wow... what a undertaking your restoration will be. It's good to know that there are still a lot of brave souls out there who are not afraid of any challenge.

I kinda feel it like a mission...Just kidding..but it's a pleasure thinking that this car could have been disposed and I'm taking care of it..

pippo702

Quote from: GL#10 on May 12, 2013, 11:19:13 AM
Hey

Glad to see another charger saved and being reborn into a General Lee , lot's of work ahead of you but it will be worth it in the end , again glad you have saved another charger
from the crusher .

Thank you very much! Like I said,the pleasure is all mine!  ;)

pippo702

Quote from: joerg on May 12, 2013, 05:32:55 PM
Quote from: pippo702 on May 11, 2013, 09:49:50 PM
Quote from: 69charger2002 on May 11, 2013, 09:05:11 PM
That is one of the worst frames i have ever seen!!

Now that's encouraging!  :'( I really hope it's worth it..

A nice welcome from Austria and have fun restoring the Charger.
And the one thing left to say is that everything that makes u happy and u enjoy is worth it.

Thanks,you're right..life's too short..any chance to meet ourself at some U.S. cars meeting around here?

pippo702

Tonight,after an episode of the Dukes of Hazzard TV re run,I tryied to clean up the glove box door..I though my interiors were tan but this looks green..may be it's the flash of the camera because they look more dark brown in person..

Homerr

Quote from: pippo702 on May 13, 2013, 06:15:34 PM

Was the K-frame unbolted or did it fall out from the weight of the engine and rust on the frame?

pippo702

Quote from: brigond on May 12, 2013, 05:56:27 AM
Welcome , and congratulations . I've never seen a full size classic American car in Italy before . When you are done with the restoration ,take a picture in the ancient part of town. Maybe with some old houses in the background . That's if you can fit the car in any of the street small Streets.

Thanks,of course I'll do it! I already have my problems with my 1982 Trans Am..

pippo702

Quote from: Aero426 on May 13, 2013, 03:51:18 PM
Quote from: pippo702 on May 11, 2013, 08:38:11 PM

As you can see the frame is badly damaged and my bigger concearn is : will it be straight again? I bought on ebay a sheet with the measurement of a B body..is it worth it?

Does the body shop have an electronic measuring system like a "Shark" , or jig and fixture type bench repair system available?   If so, which one?

Can you post or take a pic of the measurement sheet and let me see what you have?  

For the front, it may be wise to obtain a complete B-body front clip with rails as an assembly from the torsion bar crossmember forward.    It look like you need most if not all of this.

We actually have.. almost nothing! just this:

that's why I'm worried

pippo702

Quote from: Homerr on May 13, 2013, 07:03:36 PM
Quote from: pippo702 on May 13, 2013, 06:15:34 PM

Was the K-frame unbolted or did it fall out from the weight of the engine and rust on the frame?

Unbolted!

charger_fan_4ever

I thought my 70 was a big task. I don't think i have ever seen with my own eyes a charger that rotten in the frame rails.
Congrats on saving it.

billssuperbird

pippo702

A little update:

we have to check if the two side bars could touch the wheels

Baldwinvette77

pippo702

It still needs to be sanded.. we're putting the frame. rails so we can move it..

70 Charger RT

When I started my project (similar condition as yours), I stripped everything off and then had the body media blasted.  It REALLY revealed what was need to be done as far as metal repair. 
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel