News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How do you fix a rusted out upper control arm tabs/bracket

Started by ACUDANUT, December 26, 2013, 01:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

I had one like this, but the tabs/bracket was rusted out.

Indygenerallee

Shiver me timbers!!! :o I would say find a donor section and splice it in!!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

fy469rtse

Amd make this part, I think or one of them, looks like rail , shock tower , and maybe inner skirt needs replacing as well , check shermans as well , have bought these parts as had one a long time ago very rusty in this area as well

Baldwinvette77

Wow, i feel like a jerk for cutting mine to pieces... ohwell

fy469rtse

Baldwinvette77 , you mean you cut something up that wasn't rusty ? Heh heh ,

six-tee-nine

cant see clearly in the picture, but seems to me that the part that is the most rusted out is your framerail

Maybe your shock tower support can be reused if still ok. But if you doubt the part then replace it, its not worth to risk you life when it collapses under load while cornering
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

fy469rtse

And I'm by sure If you purchase the shock towers, those upper control arms mounts are on there

green69rt

Quote from: fy469rtse on December 27, 2013, 09:32:41 AM
And I'm by sure If you purchase the shock towers, those upper control arms mounts are on there

Yes, the upper control arm mounts are there.  But the brace that connects the shock tower to the inner fender is not included, save your old one.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: six-tee-nine on December 27, 2013, 06:11:12 AM
cant see clearly in the picture, but seems to me that the part that is the most rusted out is your framerail

Maybe your shock tower support can be reused if still ok. But if you doubt the part then replace it, its not worth to risk you life when it collapses under load while cornering

I was using that photo as an example. My frame was good, but the bracket area was shot.

green69rt

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 27, 2013, 02:44:52 PM
Quote from: six-tee-nine on December 27, 2013, 06:11:12 AM

I was using that photo as an example. My frame was good, but the bracket area was shot.

I could see that your example was mine.   Look here on ebay.

Edit:  got the wrong link, here's a good one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-1963-1964-1965-1966-1967-1968-1969-MOPAR-B-BODY-UPPER-SHOCK-TOWER-BRACE-LH-/310626153868?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4852c2f58c&vxp=mtr

ACUDANUT

Looks like I need a stick welder to install a "shock tower".   How do you install this perfectly centered and all that jazz.  Looks intimidating.

green69rt

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 27, 2013, 10:52:57 PM
Looks like I need a stick welder to install a "shock tower".   How do you install this perfectly centered and all that jazz.  Looks intimidating.

When I did mine, I installed the LCA, UCA, TBs and the spindle.   Then I set all the adjustments to the middle of their range and then made sure the spindle face was vertical and I also set the LCA at the correct height per the FSM.   Then I measured like crazy to try to make sure the left and right sides were in the same place.   If you got time it would probably help to build some kind of jig that is based on the old tower before you cut it off.  I really won't know if everything works till my car is done and it goes for the first alignment.

ACUDANUT

First off, I admire your work and motivation saving your Charger.  You are a an inspiration to those of us who are too scared to tackle such a project..
Anyway....How did you make sure the spindle face was vertical and set the LCA at the correct height per the FSM.  All those items are connected to one, and there is a lot of pressure and weight holding all these fun parts together.  I don't see putting all these parts together without a solid/strong shock tower.

green69rt

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 28, 2013, 05:12:10 PM
First off, I admire your work and motivation saving your Charger.  You are a an inspiration to those of us who are too scared to tackle such a project..
Anyway....How did you make sure the spindle face was vertical and set the LCA at the correct height per the FSM.  All those items are connected to one, and there is a lot of pressure and weight holding all these fun parts together.  I don't see putting all these parts together without a solid/strong shock tower.

If you look thru my thread you'll see some pics of me replacing the tower.

I clamped the tower in place really well.  Just put it in at about the right place.  Then mount the LCA.  In the FSM you can find the setting for the suspension height.  Notice that the height is set by the difference in two measurements, best I can remember it was about 2 3/4" I set blocks of wood under the LCA to hold the outer end at the right point.

I then put the UCA in and set the cam bolts so they were in the middle of the slots of the new tower.  Mount the spindle to the Control arms and check the face of the spindle to make sure it is vertical, I just used a short level. All the bolts need to be tight but no need to torque them.

You might have to jigger the tower around a little to get the spindle correct.  The other place I checked was that the two ball joints were straight up and down,  I did that by making a little frame that I could clamp to the ball joint bolts.

Once everything looked good I started by tacking stuff down.  

Almost forgot, my car was level by as many measurements as I could find.  Level along the tops of the door sills, level across from door sill to sill, level across the front frame in at least two places.

Now, once the tower is tacked in place, go back and check everything again.  The tower gets welded in really well and you don't want to have to cut it out. Also take as many measurements as you can before you cut the old one out and try to duplicate what you can on the new tower.  I found the tower from AMD was not an exact duplicate of my old tower, but there are some critical measurements such as the position of the cam bolt holes from the frame.

green69rt

Oh, forgot to say that I did put the tb in just long enough to make sure input the front frame in correct.

green69rt

Final note, I had my front suspension completely apart.   I took off the brakes the brake caliper brackets, dust shields....everything.    The control arms and spindle (with ball joints), together, didn't weigh much.

I would really be interested in what the professional mechanics or more experienced guys have to say about this type of job, what would you do??

ACUDANUT

I have had to use a jack in the past to connect the spindle unit on. The lower control arm ( I think that is the correct name ) has to raise up to meet the rest of the components.
There is weight and wrestling to do this.  :Twocents:

green69rt

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 29, 2013, 11:44:48 AM
I have had to use a jack in the past to connect the spindle unit on. The lower control arm ( I think that is the correct name ) has to raise up to meet the rest of the components.
There is weight and wrestling to do this.  :Twocents:

Mine had the complete front suspension gone (including the stabilizer bar and the front struts) so all I had to put on was the LCA.   Also the Torsion bar was out, that can cause a lot of effort to move the LCA into position if it's still installed.  If you don't have these things off I can see how you would need a jack.

ACUDANUT