News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Flywheel Questions for 4 speed

Started by 68CoronetRT, May 07, 2013, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68CoronetRT

Ok so. I decided today to mock up my new 440source heads and they look great! :2thumbs: I decided to check into my "flywheel" that I have for the 440 swap and I think I've run into a snag.

I have a 78' 440 block(Externally balanced), the flywheel I have measures 12 5/8ths on the mounting holes for the pressure plate. Now from the reading I have done it sounds like they stopped making the larger flywheel in 70' along with the internally balanced motor? So should be no way I can run this flywheel in my 78 block correct?

Also the current setup is a 383 and no idea on flywheel teeth or clutch disk size, so this may not be a direct bolt in swap to the 440 I'm assuming? Then enters the bell housing question. What will work?

I was hoping to just swap over the entire setup from the 383 to the 440 and there it is. But sounds like I need a clutch kit/bell housing to accommodate the 12 5/8th flywheel.

Hope someone has an answer to my woes....  :'(

Pics of the new heads resting on the block!!! Since I know everyone like pics!

68CoronetRT

Flywheel pic. I believe this is definitely for the externally balanced motor. So this has to run the larger bell housing correct? Looks like I have an internally balanced 383 with a cast iron bell housing in the car now.

68CoronetRT

Ok. I think I have solved the mystery. After 1970 they started doing the 130 tooth flywheels, this flywheel is a neutral balanced unit that had the drilling done to correct it for an externally balanced motor(Post 70'). So I have a pre 70' 833 with 143 teeth in the car now(Cast iron bell housing). So this flywheel should work with that same bell housing even though they never actually made a 143 tooth in the externally balanced motors(Aluminum housings).

Hopefully I'm right. Going to count the teeth tomorrow to confirm what's in the car. In that case the clutch stuff should swap over and bolt right up.

Cooter

That flywheel has the "Three balance holes" in the back side. Not sure, but I think the 360 EXT. blalance engine used that. Might wanna make sure first..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

68CoronetRT

Correct. But on the 360 they had 2 holes for balance not 3. And this pattern matches the one posted up by someone with a book, which was ment for the 440 ext balanced engine.

If it ends up being a 10.5 bell housing in the car now, then I will have a nice 440 short block for sale soon. :icon_smile_big:

John_Kunkel

Both the 360 and the cast crank 440 had three external balance drillings, the difference is in the size of the holes...the 440 holes are a little under 1" and the 360 holes are closer to 1 3/8".
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

68CoronetRT

Quote from: John_Kunkel on May 08, 2013, 01:55:14 PM

Both the 360 and the cast crank 440 had three external balance drillings, the difference is in the size of the holes...the 440 holes are a little under 1" and the 360 holes are closer to 1 3/8".

Just checked this out and they are right at 1" but I'm using a crappy tape measure so it might be slightly off. Definitely not 1 3/8ths. :2thumbs:

Now I'm reading about the Z bar having either a 2 bolt adapter(10.5 bell housing) or a single ball pivot that threads directly into the bell housing(11" Bell housing). It appears I have the larger bell housing since the ball pivot bolts into the side without any adapter 2 bolt plate. :2thumbs:

Final test will be the flywheel tooth count which I will do tomorrow probably.

68CoronetRT

Success! It's a 143 tooth flywheel in the car! :2thumbs:

Now I can rest easier knowing that I can swap over the clutch/pressure plate to the new motor!! woohoo! :D

Rolling_Thunder

sounds good - look forward to the pics
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip