News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bendix booster. Rebuild?

Started by kab69440, May 08, 2013, 07:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kab69440

Does anyone know if there is a rebuild kit or service available for Bendix boosters. My "new" ragtop leaks vacuum through there so bad you can hear it over the engine. Having never rebuilt one before, does a man need any specialized equipment to get one apart?
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

I agree.  There is no easy way to rebuilt the Bendix boosters and you will need to have someone to do it.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Hard Charger

just an FYI
s new Bendix style like yours is $300 at Pirate Jacks.

resq302

yes, but the new reproduction of the Bendix unit is not exact in appearance.  The front half is dead on but the back is not stepped like the original.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Hard Charger

kab69440

I am not terribly concerned about some extraneous flaw that only a chronic anal retentive would notice. I am all about "what gets the job done". If I had a completely different but still interchange-ably functional part on hand, I'd swap it out and never give it a second thought. Nice to know there is something new that can just be slapped on and will work.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

vick79

I got mine from Boosterdewey, great guy. If you don't care about it being a Bendix, O'Reillys sells cardone functionally equivalent units relatively cheap.

'70 Charger RT

resq302

Quote from: vick79 on May 16, 2013, 12:46:20 PM
I got mine from Boosterdewey, great guy. If you don't care about it being a Bendix, O'Reillys sells cardone functionally equivalent units relatively cheap.

I wouldn't put my life behind something that Cardone rebuilds!  I've had way too many things from them, not only brake stuff reman'd that did not work or only lasted a month.
Brian

kab69440

Well, your life doesn't depend on the booster itself. It just makes the pedal softer. Tba master will work regardless of booster condition.

WANT TO BUY:

Thank you,    Kenny

resq302

True, however, Cardone also reman's the master cylinder, brake boosters, power steering pumps, power steering boxes, etc.  What is to say that you press on your breaks and then get a huge vacuum leak due to a bad rebuild?  I have had about everything that was rebuilt by them crap out within a couple of months.  Booster and master cylinder included.  Most recent and last one was the master cylinder that crapped out on me and ended up like a pump, taking fluid from one reservoir and filling the other to the point of over filling it and leaking all over the place.  Sorry, but I learned my lesson with them and will have my stuff rebuilt by someone reputable!
Brian