News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Goodyear racing slicks on your winged car

Started by hemi68charger, May 08, 2013, 06:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

hemi68charger

Quote from: Aero426 on May 14, 2013, 08:50:58 PM

The raised nubs on the center for the hub caps make those wheels a no-workie in my book.  

I agree Doug, but the ones that BART does look weird with the huge circle...  :brickwall:

PS: Now that I look at the wheels of Daytona/Superbird race cars of '69 and '70, they do seem to have the larger center hub circle like the ones shown on BARTS's website... I just emailed him on pricing.. Who knows, they may be way too expensive and it would be a mute point.......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

JB400

What if you done something like this guy done?

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=627701

You'd probably better find a professional to do it, but at least you could get the look you're looking for.
You just need to find a regular set of 15 in. wheels that have the correct centers.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

hemi68charger

Quote from: cdr on May 15, 2013, 12:46:35 PM
look at these wheels

Those are the ones I can get my hands on, but I'm more into the solid look since that was the primary wheel look between 69 and 70...
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Budnicks

Quote from: hemi68charger on May 14, 2013, 08:02:17 PM
Quote from: Aero426 on May 14, 2013, 11:06:36 AM
The trick if you go in the direction of steelies is getting them with the right deep dish look.    You can't exactly duplicate the stamping of the centers,  but BART made up a set of wheels for a Lorenzen 63 replica that looked better IMO than how stock Mopar centers look.  

Just got an email from Rick and this is what he will build (trailer wheel).. Unfortunately, doesn't have the same look.. Won't do......

Another Bart's {me} advice, try Stockton Wheel @ www.stocktonwheel.com , they will either widen an existing rim/wheel or make a wheel for you, reasonably priced too...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Redbird

I think they would look great at an auto show.

If the racing slicks do not have DOT approval, my opinion is that anyone driving them on a street car deserves the biggest ticket that can be written. Driving a car with racing slicks, Bonneville tires, or drag slicks on the street is just irresponsible.

C5X DAYTONA

Quote from: Redbird on May 15, 2013, 03:37:22 PM

If the racing slicks do not have DOT approval, my opinion is that anyone driving them on a street car deserves the biggest ticket that can be written. Driving a car with racing slicks, Bonneville tires, or drag slicks on the street is just irresponsible.
Mr. Irresponsible.   
Caution.... Low flying aircraft.

hemi68charger

Quote from: C5X DAYTONA on May 16, 2013, 02:10:57 AM

Mr. Irresponsible.   

Now, that's the stance I'm looking for. What are the wheel dimensions on that? I'll probably get an example of the G7 or Cobra Goodyears....
Troy

41husk

Troy, I hope you avoided last nights twisters.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

hemi68charger

Quote from: 41husk on May 16, 2013, 07:48:07 AM
Troy, I hope you avoided last nights twisters.

Yeah Brother, they didn't come down here. We're too far South in Houston. Bad news, woke up this morning and heard the lastest, 6 people lost their lives..... :-\

I know Allen lives up there, so I hope he's doing well.....
Troy

1970Moparmann

Those would look AWESOME on the 500 Troy!   :nana:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

41husk

glad to here you and yours are safe, Allen will be in my prayers.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

hemi68charger

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on May 16, 2013, 08:02:31 AM
Those would look AWESOME on the 500 Troy!   :nana:

Yeap, with the black interior, black stripe and black deep steel wheels, the 500 would have a great stance........
Troy

Highbanked Hauler

I always thought the stock car wheels of that era were widened Ford pu. wheels..   with the 5 X 5 lug pattern..
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Budnicks

Quote from: C5X DAYTONA on May 16, 2013, 02:10:57 AM

Mr. Irresponsible.   
:cheers: Sweat...  :2thumbs:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Redbird

The Goodyear web site is quite clear on use of it's race tires. Their web site says it is both dangerous and illegal to sell for use or use their race tires; for use on public streets or highways. The regulations they cite are FMVSS/ECE.

Somehow I'm thinking they have some engineers who have thought this out with good reasons. Should you have an accident, good luck having your insurance company or Goodyear help you. Do you loose your house if you hurt someone in an accident?

It just seems like a bonehead move to put race tires on a street car on so many levels.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Redbird on May 16, 2013, 08:26:50 PM
The Goodyear web site is quite clear on use of it's race tires. Their web site says it is both dangerous and illegal to sell for use or use their race tires; for use on public streets or highways. The regulations they cite are FMVSS/ECE.

Somehow I'm thinking they have some engineers who have thought this out with good reasons. Should you have an accident, good luck having your insurance company or Goodyear help you. Do you loose your house if you hurt someone in an accident?

It just seems like a bonehead move to put race tires on a street car on so many levels.

OK, we're getting sidetracked here.... For me personally, to quelch any thought of getting real racing tire slicks, it isn't happening. I'm looking for tires that are a nice profile with Goodyear accent markings.........

I'm finding that the "look" I want is a rather expensive endeavor to say the least. The expense thus far are the tires, a whopping $250+ per tire for the G7 and/or Cobras..... I'll keep trying and looking. Still waiting for Mr. Clement to get back to me on the pricing on 15x8 wheels.....
Troy

hemi68charger

Troy

pettybird

Quote from: hemi68charger on May 16, 2013, 08:45:55 PM
This is cool...

http://www.racelinedigital.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_75&products_id=1575&zenid=b71e052bbb01382539cad52b774f4c06

Too bad we couldn't find a paint to stick.  We did this with "Project Six Pack" at Best of Show.  We ended up re-doing 40% of the lettering every time we moved the car around.  Sidewalls flex a lot more than you'd think...even the skinnies up front.

Boy, it looked cool as a static display, though!

C5X DAYTONA

Like Redbird said.  You don't want these on the street for so many reasons.  But I'm a bonehead.  So I do.    They are very sticky and will pick up everything on the road.  They don't like water and they don't hold the air pressure long.    A good pound a week it seams like.    Also they are very thin and puncture easy.    My car has 15x10 Aero's all the way around with 4 inch back space in the rear and 4 1/2 up front..   The tires are 8.00 Blue Streak G7s.   If you want that look in the garage or on the track, their awesome.  But don't use them on public roads.    As for price,  I get scuffs at the local track.  $30 each.  Can't beat that. 
Caution.... Low flying aircraft.

Indygenerallee

Aghh, DOT, I had a set of Nascar slicks on the back of my 1998 Dakota R/T that I put a 440 in and I drove it daily in the summer with those tires on it!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Highbanked Hauler

I'm looking for tires that are a nice profile with Goodyear accent markings.........

Thats what I am looking for also as my 275-60-15 GoodYears  are now 18 years old and the sidewalls are cracking.  
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

HPP

There are no 15 Goodyears that are d.o.t. approved with the large, white 2" sidewall marking molded in to them that say Goodyear. That layout is reserved for all their competition tires. But, I can say that of the competition tires I've seen, the Goodyear was simply painted on and not a molded white layer like a street tire. That white layer actually adds unwnated weight to the tire, so all racing tires are made as blackwalls and the lettering is painted.

So, if you use the stencil show above, you could duplicate the appearence on any smooth sidewall tire. You might want to clean the sidewall really well and maybe wipe it down with some acetone immediatly prior to painting to generate some adhesion. Aoos don't lay down heavy coats, but keep it limited to a few light layers or they will crack.

WINGIN IT

Why not use something flexible like a white silicone instead of paint over the template?