News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

which 727 rebuild kit?

Started by Wicked72, August 14, 2013, 08:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wicked72

I want to go through my trans before i find out somethings wrong so i want to rebuild it. I want to spend under $300. i see that tci and b&m have kits that fit the budget. I have never gotten into an auto trans before so this will be a learning exp as well. im not looking to make it handle a ton of hp i have no idea what the goal is going to be cuz im broke now and im doing the best i can. I was wondering what kinda power it would be able to handle after the rebuild with a kit like one of those above or will it make it just drive better? maybe a better option then one of those in that price range? thanks
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

Cooter

Not recommending this for you, just throwing it out there.
I'm throwing a 500 inch motor on 200 shot through a junkyard 727 with no rebuild, only a shift kit and stall.
It should live at 500 HP. For a little while till you can afford a GOOD rebuild with high dollar internals.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

ws23rt

I say go for it. A good transmission overhaul manual for the 727 is needed. The kit you chose will have kit specific info that needs to blend in with the manual.
I rebuilt my first when I was 18 and the hardest part I had was getting it out and back in the car. It was an old cast iron trans. (1957)
Since then I have done many 727s. They are about as tough as a manual trans.
Keep it clean and lay the parts out in a line as they come out. (It helps till you get familiar with it)
I would say good luck but you don't need luck just patience. :2thumbs:
BTW just a mild shift kit/basic overhaul kit is all you need to handle what a good running 440 puts out and then some.

green69rt

The old 727 were amazingly tough.  500 HP easy.  But anything will suffer if you use it hard enough.  My old RT had a 727 that was shoved from first to reverse more than once and survived (don't ask!!)  I think a shift kit actually helps because the bands slip less but it does put more stress  on the gears, etc.  So, what to do... I would add an external cooler, deep sump pan (finned.)  Then go for the shift kit.  Then new bands, pump.   Beyond that you're talking about a complete trans rebuild.  (sounds like a lot, huh!!)

Wicked72

thanks for the info! ill bang on it some but im not running slicks at all so that will help it live longer and i have a nice trans cooler as well if it will handle 500 for some time then it will last a long time with the little bit i plan on doing. i know there is a few books on 727 trans rebuilding. any suggestions?
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

bakerhillpins

I am very interested in this thread.    :yesnod:  Was just talking about this very thing and level of effort involved. Would be sweet if you were to make a thread about the process. Lots of extra work though.

:2thumbs:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

ws23rt

Quote from: Wicked72 on August 15, 2013, 05:24:34 AM
thanks for the info! ill bang on it some but im not running slicks at all so that will help it live longer and i have a nice trans cooler as well if it will handle 500 for some time then it will last a long time with the little bit i plan on doing. i know there is a few books on 727 trans rebuilding. any suggestions?

A good book for the 727 -----Torqueflite A-727 Transmission Handbook--- by Carl H. Munroe--
It has everything needed for a basic overhaul to performance building. :2thumbs:

BTW Automatic transmissions tend to be intimidating to the average mechanic because it is not easy to clearly see how they work. (Unlike a manual trans.)
A complete understanding is not needed. They come apart easily and an overhaul is just replacing worn parts and checking clearances.

Which kit to buy?  I would take apart what you have and make that decision based on what you find is needed. If all checks out good maybe just a shift kit. (Bands and clutches can be bought as needed.)

XS29L

I got the rebuild parts for my 727 from Cope Racing Transmissions. John offered alot of good advice. Top quality parts too.
MOPAR OR NO CAR !!