News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My New Computer

Started by twodko, May 07, 2013, 09:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twodko

My basic Dell Inspiron 1000 laptop bought in 2007 became a paper weight....ecycled it.

Had a HP PC the IT guy at work gave me...in 2010 before I was laid off....was sloooowww to boot so I deleted all the company specific programs he hadn't already deleted and it locked up.......ecycled it.

Bought a basic Toshiba laptop with Windows 8...........Windows 8 is a charlie foxtrot doorstop.......returned it to BestBuy

Way over my budget, but I like the iPad2 I bought for my late wife so much I decided I had no choice but to change computer architecture. Bought myself an Apple Mac Book Pro.

Hellfire if this isn't one tits computer. I plugged it in, it when through its startup routine, transferred my email accounts, contacts and files from the iPad and Presto damn Chango I'm up and running! The transition from PC to Apple will take a short while to get used too but I'm a happy camper!  :2thumbs:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

71ChallengeHer

4cruzin

Not sure about everyone else but I am still stuck on Windows XP . . . . when I have serious problem, I dump out the operating system and reload it!  Only issue is windows will stop updating it very soon.    I also like my apple PC . . . .
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

Troy

I build my own. If it "locks up" I just replace whatever broke. Every now and then I upgrade it all simply because technology marches on. I won't be switching to Windows 8 any time soon. I'll use a Linux desktop before that. I actually only upgraded to Windows 7 (at home and work!) within the last 6 months.

As much as I like *some* of Apple's products they just aren't practical for all that I need to do. Since I can't have just 1 computer that does everything I need then I can't justify the price.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Mopar440+6

Glad you're enjoying the new computer.

I refuse to own an Apple product simply because of their company structure and closed source applications. They make beautiful hardware but I just can't stand their software or the fact that I've seen my friends try to deal with Apple customer service. :eek2:

That said, my current Dell laptop has lasted since 2003 and is hanging in there by a little blue screen thread. :hah: So, I'm currently waiting for the parts to come in from Newegg for my monster desktop build. I know desktops are going by the wayside but we need a main computer for the family and a laptop just doesn't make sense for the price I can build a desktop. SWMBO and I both have smart phones and we have a netbook also so portability isn't necessary; we need power and something that can be upgraded. This will be my first build so we'll see how it goes...
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

twodko

Troy you're way beyond my computer needs or computer world that's why.....You Da Man!  :2thumbs:

I built my first desk top right after they invented dirt and it was fun. Yeah they are becoming a non player now but that's the constant march of technology.

Your 'puter build will be great after all we're MOPAR people! If I had a family with chillins I'd want a robust and fast desktop too. Gotta have it these days for the kids before they need their own laptops.

I had heard that Apple Customer service could be as snooty and aloof as 'Vette owners. When I watched the Mac go through its setup it didn't quite get my email accounts squared away. I called Apple Customer service and it was a really good experience and the glitch was solved most riki tik.
These days my use is word processing, email, Skype, photo tweaking, surfing and FinalCut Pro on occasion. For me, I'm happy to play with a new architecture. Lord knows I need stuff to fill my days now.

Thanks guy.

Paul G

Avoid windows 8 if you can. It sucks bad. They made it more like smart phone and tablet "apps". I hate it. 
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

green69rt

Bought 2 new computers earlier this year from a local store called Fry's.  Got one for $750 running W7/I5 that is a monster with 10GB mnemory, 1.5 tbyte drive and other stuff, second computer was $350 but it only has 6Gbyte memory and a 1.0 Tbyte drive, also W7/I3.  They replace my old XP machine.  These may be the last PCs I buy. Maybe just wishfull thinking. :shruggy:

twodko

Quote from: Paul G on May 11, 2013, 10:45:33 PM
Avoid windows 8 if you can. It sucks bad. They made it more like smart phone and tablet "apps". I hate it. 

That's precisely why I took what would have been a decent Toshiba laptop. I wanted to shoot that freakin' OS but I had to bring it back to upgrade. Window 8 = Bill Gates on meth.

A6USMC

Congrats, you will love your apple, I made the transition  to a 27" imac over 3 years ago, and yes there are some things you cant get for a mac, but damm the things you can do and get, make it oh so much more an enjoyable experience, and of course not buying Norton for almost 3 years now is nice too. If you have the option, I would recomend buying apple care, if not for the warranty, for the tech help, just pick up the phone and fire away with the questions and they are there for you. Good luck with it,,,Brian

moparsr2fast

Home computer is a Dell 4500 with XP. Rarely use it anymore. Currentlt do everything I need off my Pantech tablet.... eBay, Email, FB, surf ect.  Works great for these things, and I'm not imaginative enough to need a "puter " for more complex functions.  :Twocents:
Bob

70 Charger 500
     2001 Ram 2500 Sport
        2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
  2006 Dodge Charger Daytona

twodko

Quote from: A6USMC on May 14, 2013, 03:19:20 PM
Congrats, you will love your apple, I made the transition  to a 27" imac over 3 years ago, and yes there are some things you cant get for a mac, but damm the things you can do and get, make it oh so much more an enjoyable experience, and of course not buying Norton for almost 3 years now is nice too. If you have the option, I would recomend buying apple care, if not for the warranty, for the tech help, just pick up the phone and fire away with the questions and they are there for you. Good luck with it,,,Brian

Copy all Brian. At $239 for 3 years of Apple care may be worth the cost........is worth the cost  This is the most I've ever spent on a computer. I'm probably going to have to spend the extra cash....... :shruggy: