News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

first car show

Started by charger01, May 03, 2013, 12:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger01

I plan on taking my charger to its first car show next month.  Its not a perfect showcar, but is still very presentable.  Was kinda curious as what kind of reaction you guys get with GL's.  I dont want to have it judged because it isnt perfect, and Iam sure there will be nicer cars there.  The wife says enter it and have it judged.  Opinions? thoughts?

JB400

If you don't want it judged, then don't have it judged.   

You'll be center of attention with everyone.  You might want to rope it off and have a detail board of all the mods done to it.   It'll help with the stupid questions. Most importantly, have fun. :2thumbs:

areibel

In our clubs show there are probably 50-60% of the cars that aren't judged.  When you register you're asked if you want judged, if yes there's a little sticker added to your dash card so the judges know which cars are in.  But it's not just the unfinished cars that don't get judged, a lot of them are guys with very nice cars that just could care less about getting a trophy.  They're proud of their car and they're there to have some fun!

Back N Black

Personally, i would not have my car judged. I don't need someone to tell me what they think about my car. :Twocents:  :2thumbs:

41husk

It does not matter what shape it is in.  If you have it judged don't take the results personal I have finished ahead of cars I knew was better than mine and behind cars that I knew were not as nice as mine.  If you want to have it judged go ahead.  The big thing is have fun.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Back N Black on May 03, 2013, 07:08:54 AM
Personally, i would not have my car judged. I don't need someone to tell me what they think about my car. :Twocents:  :2thumbs:

I've had a Charger since of a ripe age of 17.  NEVER have I ever had a car judged, nor do I ever want to.  I used to go to all the Chicago CMC events years ago and I was floored how pissed off people would get if they didn't get 1 place in a class.  I never received a trophy, and never stay long enough to see if I won one.  I'm good for a 4 - 5 hours at a show and then I boogie out.  

What I like is to talk to people about cars. :2thumbs:

What kind of show is it?
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

skip68

The less perfect it is the better it is.   A GENERAL LEE that's got flaws looks more real and people will be asking if it's real.    :2thumbs:  You'll have fun and draw lots of attention.    :2thumbs:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

maxwellwedge

I stopped checking off the judging box years ago - I go to get the cars exercise and catch up with my car buddies. Most of the judges wouldn't know a good car if it bit them in the ass......

41husk

That includes Mopar only shows!
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

1970Moparmann

Quote from: maxwellwedge on May 03, 2013, 09:36:43 AM
I stopped checking off the judging box years ago - I go to get the cars exercise and catch up with my car buddies. Most of the judges wouldn't know a good car if it bit them in the ass......

Amen.  It tends to be "hey, that's Jim's car, vote for it".   

As you might get, I'm not good with any form of politics in my life.. :D :nana:

charge69

I only have gone to car shows as a spectator as my Charger was not restored until I started a few years ago. This summer wil be my first shot at entering the car in a show but I don't think I will get it judged.  As I know every nut and bolt on the car now, too many "little" things I want to change later.

It actually gets a little too hot to sit for hours by your car (someone will be by mine at all times) while people stroll by and look. Some know nothing, some know a little and some know far too much about your car! Ha!

Your Charger looks great! Have it judged just for fun and do not take it too personal as every car show I have ever attended seems to have a certain "slant" to the judging based on what entity sponsers the show!

skip68

What he said about not leaving the car alone.   I've caught several people trying to sit on my car just for pictures.   One couple even put their toddler on my Hood.     I bet you'd win most popular.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

charger_fan_4ever

Couldn't have said it any better.

Cooter

Quote from: maxwellwedge on May 03, 2013, 09:36:43 AM

Exactly. Don't be too surprized if you don't win anything based on "haters" in the Judging field. Happened to me. One even asked if it was a nice car BEFORE I "ruined" another Charger....Bastid. This coming from a JUDGE who "only" owned an "All original" Dodge "Omni" based Charger.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

charger01

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on May 03, 2013, 07:32:37 AM

I've had a Charger since of a ripe age of 17.  NEVER have I ever had a car judged, nor do I ever want to.  I used to go to all the Chicago CMC events years ago and I was floored how pissed off people would get if they didn't get 1 place in a class.  I never received a trophy, and never stay long enough to see if I won one.  I'm good for a 4 - 5 hours at a show and then I boogie out.  

What I like is to talk to people about cars. :2thumbs:

What kind of show is it?

It's just a local cal show at our yearly banana split festival.  Hot rod mag started having their top speed challenge he as well last year, so u may attend those shows too. That would be a lot larger crowd. May  be a dumb question here but the car show is sat and a cruise in fri nite. What does a cruise in consist of?

41husk

At a cruize you usualy meet at a designated spot with your cars and sit around talking to fellow car people.  No judging or awards.  and some times they all drive together to another designated spot.  Most Cruizes in southern IL just stay at one spot a resteraunt, Auto store or other busines.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

brigond

I say go for it.  It's about the fun. I remember a show that I went to . There was a guy with a  less desirable 4 door GM car. That wasn't the bad part . Under the hood, he used household wall insulation . :eek2: I felt kind of bad for the guy . The judge and others around him gave him a few pointers.  It was clear that he was a new to the game.  He and a few family members stood proudly by their car. I'll never forget the  show  because of that. 
Mopars are like the Hot Wheel/Matchbox cars from when I was a kid ...  Bad A@@ and Cool!!!

My other hobby is practicing the ancient art of CLICK! POW!

twodko

Enter your car and have fun......that's what it s all about. HAVE FUN!  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Kern Dog

When I finished my 70 in 2003, I was anxious to take it to shows. This was my first really nice car, so I was curious to see how it would fare against others.
I won first place in the first car show that I entered. The class was "Under construction". The car was complete except for the interior. The next show I entered the car, I didn't even place in the top three! The car was finished then, but it didn't matter. The show was one with "Participant" judging. That is the laziest, crappiest way to judge a car show. The car club that hosted the event had members with FOUR B bodies in the class that I entered. My car was clearly nicer that two of them. It was obvious to me that there was some...."You vote for MY car, I'll vote for YOUR car..." stuff going on there. Seriously, when you lose to  cars with faded paint and worn out chrome, you have to know that something wrong just happened.
After that second show, I took the car to other shows but changed my attitude about them. I remembered that I built the car to make myself happy, NOT the judges. I've won a few more trophies since then and even struck out a few times. So what. I enjoy having the car out there to be enjoyed. These cars are pieces of rolling history and it is great to see people light up when they see them.
Regarding your car, be prepared to be jumped on like the only girl at all all boys school. Be prepared for a wide range of reactions too. Most will be cordial and respectful. There will be some opinionated jerks that will not like the car, insult it or even YOU personally. Screw them. Let THEM buy a Charger and build it to their own tastes. Enjoy yourself and enjoy the day.

charger01

Yeah, I expect some adverse comments too. I like the gm but I think in hindsight I would of painted it differently.  The gl gets attention from an entirely different group of people than a non gl. Not necessarily good attention.

dodgey68

NEVER have I ever had a car judged, nor do I ever want to.  I used to go to all the Chicago CMC events years ago and I was floored how pissed off people would get if they didn't get 1 place in a class.  I never received a trophy, and never stay long enough to see if I won one.  I'm good for a 4 - 5 hours at a show and then I boogie out.  What I like is to talk to people about cars. :2thumbs:

it blows me how pissed off people get when they dont get a trophey,who cares, get it judged see how ya go,first show, ya never know, but dont take it personally if ya dont a mention, just enjoy the drive and the car people,,,

when all you own is a hammer, every job  resembles a nail.

mikeydf14

Just clean the car up, go and meet as yet unknown new friends, meet old ones, swap stories and learn from the ones in the know.  When shows started to become work as it did for me I said heck with this. Go, enjoy, learn and don't worry what others think.  Good luck.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: dodgey68 on May 04, 2013, 03:05:12 AM
 NEVER have I ever had a car judged, nor do I ever want to.  I used to go to all the Chicago CMC events years ago and I was floored how pissed off people would get if they didn't get 1 place in a class.  I never received a trophy, and never stay long enough to see if I won one.  I'm good for a 4 - 5 hours at a show and then I boogie out.  What I like is to talk to people about cars. :2thumbs:

it blows me how pissed off people get when they dont get a trophey,who cares, get it judged see how ya go,first show, ya never know, but dont take it personally if ya dont a mention, just enjoy the drive and the car people,,,

Let me clarify, I can give a rats ass if I get a trophy.  When I used to have time (pre kids) I would bring my 69 to the CMC shows, with 100% intentions of never getting a trophy.  I would never get a trophy with the car because it was a 20 footer.  I never had the funds to do anything at that point.  We're talking 25 years ago....

I honestly don't give a crap about trophies.  If I stayed at a few shows I'm confident I would, but I don't care.  I go to one or two CMC events a year now with intentions to look at cool cars, and talk to friends.   :2thumbs: 

Hope this clarifies my previous post.  I approve this message.....

mikeydf14

It is AMAZING how mad/upset people get when they don't go home with a $5 dust collector (trophy)  I had my fill of that and I have nothing to prove.  I made more friends by just going and talking than I ever did competing. Just not worth it!

1970Moparmann

Quote from: charger01 on May 04, 2013, 02:40:11 AM
Yeah, I expect some adverse comments too. I like the gm but I think in hindsight I would of painted it differently.  The gl gets attention from an entirely different group of people than a non gl. Not necessarily good attention.

I'm guessing your going to hear nothing but positive comments!   You'll be amazed at what reactions you will get!!!!!

To answer your question about car cruises, like Allen said, it is a weekly get together that is usually 3 - 4 hours.  I grew up going to these......

There are a few in Chicagoland that will get 400+ cars!  It's crazy.  There are a good dozen places semi locally to me that are top notch.   Great time to meet new people and see different cars.  

Have fun with it because you will!!! :2thumbs:

More pictures of your car??