News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

first car show

Started by charger01, May 03, 2013, 12:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970Moparmann

Quote from: mikeydf14 on May 04, 2013, 09:12:32 AM
It is AMAZING how mad/upset people get when they don't go home with a $5 dust collector (trophy)  I had my fill of that and I have nothing to prove.  I made more friends by just going and talking than I ever did competing. Just not worth it!

No crap.  There was a guy years ago who had a 67 Coronet RT who literally would have a hissy fit if he didn't get a first place trophy. 

I drive my cars and enjoy them!!
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

ws23rt

This is a great thread. Glad to hear so many pitch in and agree that showing for who is top dog is not what car shows are about. Their will always be those that need the pat on the back (yes you are the best so now can we talk about cars?).
I was asked to be a judge at a small mopar show 20 yrs back. I had never done that before and no one told me what was expected. They gave me a clip board and said go do it.
This would be a good lesson for all in this hobby.
Since I think I know these cars pretty well I was motivated. With my new found judge's eye all I saw were things that were wrong, incomplete, over done, etc. I wandered around with the clip board and saw the look on the owners faces as I approached. The reg. car folks that make up 95% on the show had the oh no here it comes look. The other 5% had a puffed out chest lets talk about this look.
  I did not have a good time that day.

1974dodgecharger

Go to have fun I say.....

charger01

Probably wont get it judged. I know every square inch if it. I dont really need it picked apart and scrutinized by someone else.

charger490

i have been going to car shows for 12 years now.if you talk to the people that look at your car they will vote for you.i have also let little kids stand on the seat and work the steering wheel.i went to a show once and never cleaned the car except for one fender and won best of show.it also makes a diff. if the people who  runthe show are Chevy or ford people because the for and cheys win.i have now given all my trophies away to the boy and girls scouts and some to special Olympics .sometimes when at the show a little kid will enter his little car and i give him a trophie.

charger01

Well I went and and they handed out top 40 cars out of 150 with trophies.  I got one and my son was thrilled.  What I gather from my experience is this.  My car hands down got more attention and photos than any car there, and was surely not the nicest.  But all attention is not good attention. Everybody can seem to relate to the general lee, but it really attracts a different kind if crowd, and that's not necessarily a good thing.

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: charger01 on June 08, 2013, 09:49:46 PM
Well I went and and they handed out top 40 cars out of 150 with trophies.  I got one and my son was thrilled.  What I gather from my experience is this.  My car hands down got more attention and photos than any car there, and was surely not the nicest.  But all attention is not good attention. Everybody can seem to relate to the general lee, but it really attracts a different kind if crowd, and that's not necessarily a good thing.

look at it this way, even in the tv show the GL got lots of attention, and most of it wasn't good  :lol:  :2thumbs:

68X426

Quote from: charger01 on June 08, 2013, 09:49:46 PM
it really attracts a different kind if crowd, and that's not necessarily a good thing.

Some of us here resemble that remark.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow