News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rear upgrade

Started by cowboy4x4n, May 01, 2013, 03:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cowboy4x4n

would I need to shorten my driveshaft if I switch from my 8.25 rear to an 8.75 rear in my 69 charger.

Thanks

cowboy4x4n

Also this 8.75 has this axle nut and castle nut on both sides.  Is this typical of an 8.75 or is an axle swap due to the axle being under a trailer now.  Someone used the 8.75 for a pickup bed trailer

Budnicks

That looks like an AMC 8.750" with the castle nut, don't quote me on that thou...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

cowboy4x4n

Here's more pix.  Measurements and chunk number seem to match.  R amc 8.75 similar

cowboy4x4n

More

Budnicks

the 741 carrier looks like a regular early pre-1968 8-3/4"
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

cowboy4x4n

Width seems to be b body 44" springs and just over 60" overall

cowboy4x4n

Imnat a loss I've never seen the axle ends like that.  Also will swapping to an 8.75 from and 8.25 require driveline shortening

cowboy4x4n

well I think i figured it out.  the castle nut is from tapered axle shaftes pre 65.

cowboy4x4n

any ideas guys if i need to shorten my driveshaft

FLG

Yes you will, or find a correct size driveshaft.

cowboy4x4n

ok thank you for the help

Cooter

A word of caution. If you've ever seen the axles in one of those rears, you would think twice about the swap. Those axles next to a 1966-up 8 3/4 rear look like Tooth picks next to telephone poles.
If you've ever tried to get the drums off.... BIG PITA, even with the "Special puller"....
All but junk IMO, that's why it's under that trailer. Also, that rear's axle end play is set up with shims, NOT spanner nuts like the later ones. The shims are NOT readily available.

Tapered axle is on the top.

Differences in size of axles as far as seals/bearings. Tapered is on left, 1968 RoadRuner 8 3/4 axle on left.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

cowboy4x4n

thanks for the advice i passed on the axle when i researched how big of a pita it is