News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ZDDP Additive Question:

Started by Captain D, April 30, 2013, 09:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

I just had a quick question about oil if I could ask please.  

I just did an oil change today (the 10W-30 Brad Penn + ZDDP) for my 383 4 brrl BB. Since mine takes 6 quarts of oil, I added about a bottle and a half of the ZDDP (maybe a very slight amount over a bottle and half since its rather difficult to tell 100% since you can't see through the bottle). Up until now - only 'after' I did the change - was I told that one bottle would have been enough  :brickwall:. Even the rep. from ZDDP stated that for 6 quarts of oil one should add a bottle and a half. Do you think it may be worthwhile, just in case, to drain some of the oil out and then bring the oil level back up with just a quart of the Brad Penn (with no additive, obviously)? If so, how much should I drain out to replace altogether?  

Based on experiences in using these products, do you feel that this level of ZDDP is okay or do you feel that there may be too much zinc in there just out of curiosity since too much or too little isn't good? With some things, I just can't win in that I somehow miraculously, again, learn 'not' to do something only 'after' its already been done... :icon_smile_blackeye:.

Thank you for any and all replies,
Aaron

resq302

Aaron,

It really all depends on how much of the zinc / phos. content is in the Brad Penn oil.  If their oil has a good high number of the zinc / phos, then the bottle of ZDDP would not have been needed.  I have read where too much zinc / phos might hurt the engine, but then I also have heard the other end where you can't have enough.  Hopefully some people on here who have researched it a lot more than me will know the answer.  As for what I run, I just use the Valvoline VR-1 Race oil which has the added zinc and phosphorus content to it and is also stated on the bottle that it is good for flat tappet cams.  With this oil, I do not run any extra ZDDP additive.

Hope this helps.

Brian
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Cooter

Thing is, too much ZDDP is as bad as too little. Oil is trick sh*t. The mixture is just right. The EPA really screwed us on this one. IF you are running the "Good" Brad Penn oil with ZDDP already in it, you do NOT need the extra from a bottle.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

ODZKing

I had a chat with a rep that stopped at the shop from Castrol the other day. 
For our older cars he recommends the GTX High Milage and the Lucas (BreakIn) zinc additive. 
He said 5 quarts - 1/2 bottle of additive.  6 quarts 3/4 bottle ... etc.
He said the Lucas stuff is excellent.
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=82&catid=9&loc=show

c00nhunterjoe

I run bradpenn oil with 1 bottle of zddp. Last year I put over 4, 000 miles on my car. I've been running it hard since it was assembled 13years ago on the same motor with no repairs or changes to the internals. Only thing I change is the oil once a year.

Captain D

Thank you gents for the replies,

To play it safe, I simply replaced the filter and oil altogether with the standard/conventional Valvoline VR1 Racing oil. In doing some searches on here, I've read that there are some members on here (Ron/Firefighter) who stated that this brand of oil is "decent," but would recommend even adding an additive with this oil. Just so that I'm not out wasting anymore time/money, what form of additive would be best to add and how much of it to be exact? I'd just like to double-check 'before' I add something and it be too much this time...

For instance, my 383 4 brrl BB engine takes 6 quarts of oil. If I were to add one 32oz. (a quart) bottle of the Rislone Zinc Supplement, I would have to let out about a quart of the fresh Valvoline that is in there now (but that may be 'too much' if the Valvoline VR-1 supposedly has higher amounts of zinc/phos.). I also have about a half bottle left of the ZDDP Plus if this would also be an option in order to maintain 'better safe than sorry' levels of zinc/phosphorous. However, if you feel that I should add one whole bottle of the ZDDP, then I'll do it just so that I can learn from it and complete this task once and for all,  :scratchchin:

Thank you again for any and all replies on what additive exactly, and how much, should be added to this oil for a simple street driven 69' Charger,
Aaron  

firefighter3931

One bottle of ZZDP with 5-6qts of VR-1 is fine, inmo.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chippa

look for how many PPM of zinc is in the oil (parts per million)

Shit oil will be like 800ppm good oil should be up around 1150-1300ppm which be safe enough...... :Twocents:

I Run Penrite 20w50 mineral here in Oz and it is up around the high end of the scale which does the trick for me  :2thumbs:

miamivice

Quote from: Chippa on May 02, 2013, 02:15:37 AM
look for how many PPM of zinc is in the oil (parts per million)

Shit oil will be like 800ppm good oil should be up around 13-1500ppm which be safe enough...... :Twocents:

I Run Penrite 20w50 mineral here in Oz and it is up around the high end of the scale which does the trick for me  :2thumbs:

I have not looked, but do they list out the PPM on the bottles of motoroil?   (sorry if this is an ignorant question)

Captain D

Hi all,

Not trying to drive you all crazy with questions about 'oil' (just wanting to learn as much as I can), but if you would be willing to answer a few questions below I would GREATLY appreciate your input about a few things that I was curious about:

1.) I thought that I read that the Valvoline VR-1 Racing Oil is a synthetic blend - even though it doesn't indicate it on the label. Is that right?

2.) Is the VR-1 Racing oil really better for flat tappet cams or would any synthetic blend oil, such as the Castrol GTX High Mileage syn. blend (+ either a bottle of the ZDDPLUS or Rislone) work just as good?  

3.) Would 6 quarts of the Brad Penn be safe to run 'WITHOUT' a bottle of either the ZDDP or Rislone? I just recall previous experiences written by folks who stated that the Brad Penn was actually too LOW in the zinc/phos. levels despite it being advertised as being high in those elements. I realize that this may have been awhile ago, but when it comes to our engines - I wouldn't want to take any risks. But, if the Brad Penn levels are good and back to normal, AND, I add a bottle of the ZDDP - would I then run the risk of having too much zinc in it?  :scratchchin:

I suppose it's a fine line in trying to get all of the main components to work together: zinc/phos. and protection for the flat tappet cams on a regular basis...

Thank you for any and all replies,
Aaron

Brass

Not sure about the rest but I just use 10/40 Brad Penn without any additive. 

1974dodgecharger

Rosella 10/40 with a bottle of risilone zn additive my oil pan is nearly 7 qts

Captain D

Thanks again gents for the replies,

I may be leaning towards the 10W-40 Brad Penn to use this summer and the 10W-30 for the winter, without any additive on a regular basis, if you guys feel that this is safe.

At initial start-up with 10W-30 in my engine, the oil psi naturally increases to 40, then once warmed, idles down to 20psi. And, at a steady cruise of 55mph, it averages about 35-40 psi for an H.P. oil pump. Based on this little bit of info, would you recommend the 10W-30 or 10W-40 to use (or does it really matter,  :icon_smile_wink:)?

Thank you again for any and all replies,
Aaron