News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where to buy new 68-70 console shells, best quality?

Started by 8WHEELER, April 30, 2013, 07:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

8WHEELER

That is my question, where to buy a new console shell, with the best quality?

I see them in plastic, also see them in fiberglass. Anybody use the fiberglass units?

I bought one recently from YO with the 30% off, so it was about $220. Well I sent it
back two days later. There was three, three inch long scratches, and multiple rub marks.
I had them check there stock for a replacement, she called yesterday, telling me all of
them have multiple rub marks, that are sitting on there shelf. The grain is also terrible,
almost none.

I am doing two consoles, and one is black, so no need to paint.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

8WHEELER

Mopar Nut

Yes, I have one now, they only come in black. I think Tony's repops them and sells to YearOne though.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Nacho-RT74

I'm amazed about the 68/70 consoles prices... to get a full set you need around $1200 :o
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Mike DC

I would be inclined to go with a (good quality) fiberglass version of the shell simply because the material is strong and repairable.  The original design was too fragile in the first place.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on May 01, 2013, 12:25:38 PM
I'm amazed about the 68/70 consoles prices... to get a full set you need around $1200 :o
My whole set with lights, top plates, hinge, back plates and carpet was around $900.00.

8WHEELER

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 01, 2013, 01:47:30 PM

I would be inclined to go with a (good quality) fiberglass version of the shell simply because the material is strong and repairable.  The original design was too fragile in the first place.

I agree, but the only fiberglass unit I found was on ebay, and he has none for sale at this time.

Dan

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Mopar Nut on May 01, 2013, 02:20:12 PM
Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on May 01, 2013, 12:25:38 PM
My whole set with lights, top plates, hinge, back plates and carpet was around $900.00.

where ? last time I checked at classic industries at least, for 68 4 speeds was in fact more than $1200... I just posted $1200 because I'm sure about reached that, but pretty sure was closer to $1600

ANYWAY... $900 is SO EXPENSIVE!!!
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Mopar Nut

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

8WHEELER

Quote from: twodko on May 05, 2013, 01:58:52 PM
Tony's Parts.

Thanks, but as said above ''I think Tony's repops them and sells to YearOne though'' that's where I bought it, and had
all the defects, and the texture was not evan close to the original, infact 1/2 of the one I got had no grain in the front
half of the shell.

Dan

Ryan.C

B-E&A Stopped carrying the repoped shells due to fitment issues
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

Nacho-RT74

shamelly, BEA is stopping to sell some other parts. Not anymore A body scoops ( the big one, not the smaller separated ones )

bull

In this case I think I'd go with plastic rather than fiberglass. While fiberglass would no doubt be more durable and strong it probably wouldn't be very forgiving if there are fitment issues (and when are there not?). You'll be more able to manipulate the plastic shells to acommodate fitment of the top plates.

8WHEELER

After the feedback, and research, I probably would have been better off keeping The YO console, and having a
friend I know take care of the two scratches, and then put new textures on the entire shell. He has done
two other of my original shells that were not cracked. He does great work, but big bucks   :shruggy:  but
that seems to be not an uncommon problem restoring these beloved old cars.

Dan

bull

Quote from: 8WHEELER on May 09, 2013, 02:45:44 AM
After the feedback, and research, I probably would have been better off keeping The YO console, and having a
friend I know take care of the two scratches, and then put new textures on the entire shell. He has done
two other of my original shells that were not cracked. He does great work, but big bucks   :shruggy:  but

Dan

Mine is a Year One shell that I got second hand from a guy who bought it but never installed it (could be yours ;D). The texture is a bit off and while black was the color I wanted the shades varied all over the shell from light to dark, so I went ahead and prepped it and shot it with SEM Landau black Color Coat to get it uniform. Mine is a four speed so probably 85% of it gets covered by carpet and the seats. Really the only part that stands out is the little 6" square at the top rear that always gets busted.

8WHEELER

Quote from: bull on May 09, 2013, 02:05:15 PM
two other of my original shells that were not cracked. He does great work, but big bucks   :shruggy:  but

Dan

Mine is a Year One shell that I got second hand from a guy who bought it but never installed it (could be yours ;D). The texture is a bit off and while black was the color I wanted the shades varied all over the shell from light to dark, so I went ahead and prepped it and shot it with SEM Landau black Color Coat to get it uniform. Mine is a four speed so probably 85% of it gets covered by carpet and the seats. Really the only part that stands out is the little 6" square at the top rear that always gets bustet.

That was the area that had one of the three inch long scratch.

Dan

bull

Quote from: 8WHEELER on May 09, 2013, 04:44:10 PM
Quote from: bull on May 09, 2013, 02:05:15 PM
two other of my original shells that were not cracked. He does great work, but big bucks   :shruggy:  but

Dan

Mine is a Year One shell that I got second hand from a guy who bought it but never installed it (could be yours ;D). The texture is a bit off and while black was the color I wanted the shades varied all over the shell from light to dark, so I went ahead and prepped it and shot it with SEM Landau black Color Coat to get it uniform. Mine is a four speed so probably 85% of it gets covered by carpet and the seats. Really the only part that stands out is the little 6" square at the top rear that always gets bustet.

That was the area that had one of the three inch long scratch.

Dan

Of course. :brickwall: Isn't that how it always works?