News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Picking up my Charger soon - Questions for the Seller?

Started by imabozo, April 30, 2013, 02:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imabozo

Hi Folks,

I should be picking up my first Charger this weekend. I bought the car a few months ago but it remained in storage with the seller until now. It's a restored, numbers matching, white '70 Charger R/T 440, Auto, Console, AC, PS, PB. It has a green interior, vinyl buckets, green bumblebee stripe and green hood callouts. Although a huge Charger fan for the past fifteen years, I have not been in a financial position to buy one until now. I bought restored Charger because I do not have the skills, knowledge, tools, shop, time or money to restore anything myself. I can do and have done some basic/minor maintenance on my other, more modern vehicles in the past such as brakes, minor electrical, tires, oil etc. I envy people who can do it themselves and I'm not afraid to try with a little help which is why this group is so valuable to people like me.

With all of that being said, what information or questions should I ask the previous owner/seller when I pick up the vehicle this weekend? He's very knowledgeable and willing to answer the questions. I'll have to ask everything from what oil he uses, to how he stores the car, any trouble he's had in the past etc. I know these are probably dumb questions for all of you, but although I'm excited, I'm still new at this. Are there tricks to starting them? Letting them warm up etc? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I don't want to miss out on a great opportunity to get some info.

Thanks,

Steve

Baldwinvette77

if i had a chance, i would ask when the engine was rebuilt, and by who, if the transmission or axle were rebuilt, steering box, steering column bearings etc., what parts of the body or interior are original and what are new, what kind of restoration was done, rotisserie, partial, complete ground-up, etc. anything that comes to mind really, theres no such thing as a dumb question, especially when a freshly bought charger is involved  :2thumbs:

projectanimal

Congrats on joining the club!!  :2thumbs:   pictures are now due!!   :yesnod:

all 440s like to warm up, so take your time when starting out.  I'm sure the previous owner has a few tricks but just ask them how they stored it and ran it!  :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:
northwest CT

WHITE AND RED 69

Get as much history as possible of the car from the owner. Old pictures, receipts, and anything else the old owner will part with. That was my biggest mistake when I got mine. Didn't care when I got it but now I wished I had.

As far as fluids, everyone has different brands they like. Find something with the right amount of zinc additives for oil and stick with it. And change it regularly.

Congrats and good luck!   :cheers:

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster