News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

CUSTOM CHARGER AND WEIRD ENGINE IDEA!!!

Started by 73chargerguy, April 29, 2013, 04:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73chargerguy

So i recently found my way into a free fuel injected 318 out of an 06 ram 1500 and i though hey what the hell lets put it in the  73 charger, wondering if anyone has done this without it being the 318 necessarily but fuel injected, and  if anyone has any ideas on how to get it to 500 hp with mainly bolt ons and maybe with links to the purchases thanks a bunch

Troy

That's not a 318 if it's from an 06. They came with either the 4.3 or 5.7 "Hemi". There are several new Hemi conversions running around here. They can make really good power even with all the electronics hooked up. On the 4.3 I wouldn't even bother. You'll be on your own and really no hope of hitting that power level as there's not much after market support (as far as I can tell).

Any particular reason you picked 500 HP?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

73chargerguy

im not 100 percent sure on the exact year but i know its a 318 fuel injected with about 25k on the engine from a wreck, im not dead set on 500hp but i figured its a good number in most guys eyes, i basically want it to be strong enough to make people look and wonder whats under it

miller time

Welcome to the site :cheers:
do you have the matching transmition, motor, computers, fuse block and wiring? if you have all that, the main challenge will be to find somewhere to put all the wiring and computers. Check if the transmition will fit under the car with out the trans tunnel being cut up, and you will more then likely need matching gauges and ignition. It would be best if you had the truck when you did the swap

:Twocents: my 2 cents, why not sell what you have and go with something carburetted that will be easier to fit? just curious, but it sounds like it would be fun to drive!
:popcrn: waitin' n watchin'  :popcrn:

73chargerguy

well i also have a carbeurated 360 thats in the machine shop right now getting the full rebuild, i got it from a friend who got it as a gag gift because they dont deal with anything new so he passed it my way to see what i could do with it, it has everything needed and is ready to be put in, besides measuring up wise

miller time

id go with the 360 personally , but that's just my opinion

73chargerguy

well yeah i figured that too i just wanted to see what that would be capable of

Troy

In general, the Ram trucks had "Magnum" small blocks from 1992 to 2003 when they were replaced by the Hemi. If you're going to use one then you might as well use the larger 5.9 - but since you already have the 5.2 then you're somewhat ahead of the game. However, don't expect a lot of performance out of it. Yes, you can build it but it's the same price to build the 5.9 and you have more cubic inches to start with. The only way you'll come close to your desired output is with a stroker kit (generally 392 ci) and a big pile of cash. You'll probably need a radical solid cam (which, most likely, rules out the EFI), after market heads, and you'll have to pay extra for a forged bottom end. Any 360 with a stroker kit would be a better choice in a large car like a Charger because you want as much torque as possible.

You can run a computer controlled modern engine as long as you're realistic and stay within you limitations. It's generally harder to set up and, depending on your skill, more expensive by the time you sort out the wiring and other drive train components.

If you ignore the 500 hp figure, a built 360 is usually plenty for the street. If you've got one partially built you could always put the Magnum heads and EFI on it.

Troy

73chargerguy

so go 360 then? either one is available to me i just want the most out of them as i can get without getting into the drag numbers

Troy

So you have a rebuilt(?) carb 360 already? Stick it in and drive! Headers, a good flowing exhaust (2 1/2"), an Edelbrock Air Gap intake, and a proper carb will do wonders. It would help if you knew and could post the specs on it. Assuming you already have a 318 in the car it should be a world of difference (even if it's totally stock - but especially if it's been upgraded a bit). Your 904 transmission might even last for a little while. If you have anything other than a Dana or 8 3/4" rear axle you're gonna need an upgrade there as well. Along the road if you upgrade the rest of the drivetrain you can always pop in a 500 horse motor later on without grenading everything behind it. This approach keeps the car drivable most of the time which is always a bonus.

Troy

68X426

Quote from: miller time on April 29, 2013, 04:29:26 PM
id go with the 360 personally , but that's just my opinion

Agreed x2. Use that 360, it's a fine motor.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

73chargerguy

its a nonstock 360 (far from stock actually....was the fastest engine in wisconsin rapids for 7 years out of a 69 charger) it has a 727 coming with it and a 8 and 3/4 rear end with a racing fuel pump and regulator. basically its way overstock but it needs to be rebuilt completely 100%

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

73chargerguy

what do you mean a 4.7? what are you referring to?

jaak

Quote from: 73chargerguy on April 29, 2013, 08:35:26 PM

4.7 is the V8 that replaced 318's in the early 2000's.

Jason

miller time

Quote from: 73chargerguy on April 29, 2013, 07:07:40 PM
its a nonstock 360 (far from stock actually....was the fastest engine in wisconsin rapids for 7 years out of a 69 charger) it has a 727 coming with it and a 8 and 3/4 rear end with a racing fuel pump and regulator. basically its way overstock but it needs to be rebuilt completely 100%

looks like someone already built your 500hp engine  :slap:   stick that bundle in and put that other stuff on craigslist    :2thumbs:

JB400

Quote from: jaak on April 29, 2013, 09:13:16 PM
Quote from: 73chargerguy on April 29, 2013, 08:35:26 PM

4.7 is the V8 that replaced 318's in the early 2000's.

Jason
Correct, and they're not even worth messing with.  They have some oiling problems.  I don't see too many good ones at the auctions.

Cooter

500 HP 360= $7K...Thereabouts....

500 HP 440= Cam.intake.carb.and headers.....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"