News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hemi Daytona Restoration

Started by 69hemidaytona, April 28, 2013, 10:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69hemidaytona

Some more close ups.

69hemidaytona

Under hood detail shots.

Mopar John

Tony,
Your close ups are so clear you can see the original markings on the heads of the screws and bolts!
Thanks! MJ

69hemidaytona

Quote from: Mopar John on July 08, 2013, 09:58:08 AM
Tony,
Your close ups are so clear you can see the original markings on the heads of the screws and bolts!
Thanks! MJ
I think thats one of the things that Roger was trying to do on the photos. Hopefully all of the bolts will be back in their original places!

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on July 08, 2013, 03:39:30 PM
[ Hopefully all of the bolts will be back in their original places!

And make sure that the bolt & nut heads are all indexed just as your photos show..  ;)

Homerr

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on July 09, 2013, 11:28:04 AM

And make sure that the bolt & nut heads are all indexed just as your photos show..  ;)

And save all the original dirt to reapply.   :icon_smile_cool:

WINGIN IT

Quote from: Homerr on July 09, 2013, 11:39:54 AM

And save all the original dirt to reapply.   :icon_smile_cool:

Yeah, points will be taken off for cleanliness...  :lol:

69hemidaytona

If they go back into the same hole you can't help but have it indexed the same.

maxwellwedge

Putting them back in the same place.....Ain't nobody out there that is that anal....close, but not that fanatical!  :lol:
You would have to send a bolt one at a time to the plater. That would be $100.00 + per bolt and it would take approx. 27.763 years to complete the resto.

Don't get any ideas Geno!   :icon_smile_cool:

Ghoste

Nobody?  I have a horrible habit of laying bolts out in a pattern according to how I removed them so that they are returned to the same spot.  Never underestimate OCD.

maxwellwedge

:lol: True

But you would have to tumble and/or bead blast each bolt one by one in preparation of having to get them re-plated....which you would also have to do one by one as to not get them mixed up. A herculean effort - even for the most chronic OCD!

I know Roger Gibson draws pics of each area showing the bolt sizes and head markings....which I do as well.

Ghoste

Yes, I would be able to draw the line there.  My rationale being that by virtue of replating they are now to be treated as new fasteners being installed for the first time.

69hemidaytona

I actually have done that with cylinder head bolts. I don't know if it makes any difference but if I'm not resurfacing the head I figure it would clamp everything down the way it was. Some bolts might stretch a little more than others. :shruggy:

69hemidaytona

A few more.

69_500

Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 10, 2013, 07:20:36 AM
Putting them back in the same place.....Ain't nobody out there that is that anal....close, but not that fanatical!  :lol:
You would have to send a bolt one at a time to the plater. That would be $100.00 + per bolt and it would take approx. 27.763 years to complete the resto.

Don't get any ideas Geno!   :icon_smile_cool:
The better question Jim is did Geno do just that? Or did he not? No one will ever know. JK I know I am anal on things and one of these days I will finally restore my car. I might have to just see how anal I am at that time.

69hemidaytona

Not sure what that piece of metal is attached to the screw.

70 sublime

The clip on that screw holds the end of the bottom windshield chrome (should be one on each side of car)
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

69hemidaytona

Thank you. I had no idea what it was for.

69hemidaytona

Someone drilled a hole in the console plate. I bought a different one rather than trying to repair it.

69_500

Just an update for you. The Malcom's did not have their Daytona at Carlisle but there were 4 survivor 69's b body cars in there. I got an up close look at 3 of them and their wiper arms did have the 15 on them.

69hemidaytona

Ok thanks for that update. Did you by chance get to see if the blades had a 15 stamped on them too? What I mean is the metal part that has the fingers that holds the rubber refill in. I have two different NOS versions. Near where the blade plugs into the arm one version has a 15 and the other version does not.

69hemidaytona

The third photo is of the back side of the bumper.

69hemidaytona

The first pic is the backside of the headliner.

69hemidaytona

Notice the paint chipping near the hood latch? Roger tells me that he has seen many examples of Daytonas that had that area of the hood bent slightly. If the latch didn't line up with the latch tray the guys at Creative would put a two by four against the underside of the hood and hit the wood with a sledge hammer. Anybody else ever hear of that?

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on July 25, 2013, 09:51:43 PM
Notice the paint chipping near the hood latch? Roger tells me that he has seen many examples of Daytonas that had that area of the hood bent slightly. If the latch didn't line up with the latch tray the guys at Creative would put a two by four against the underside of the hood and hit the wood with a sledge hammer. Anybody else ever hear of that?

Yes - 2 out of 3 of my cars have the same thing. Those animals would do whatever it took to get these cars out.