News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

one brake light only doesn't work

Started by 70 Charger RT, April 24, 2013, 11:58:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 Charger RT

After wiring my car which included installing a new signal light switch, I find that right side brake light does not come on.  All park lights work front and rear.  All signal lights work BOTH sides front and rear.  But my brake light on the right side doesn't come on.  I've been trying to get an answer to the issue.  Some people say to check grounds.  But wouldn't my signal light not work if it were a ground issue?  Other people say to look at the signal light switch.  That makes sense but it's a bit of work to pull everything apart.  Does anyone know if I can jumper a couple of wires together near the steering column to fix the problem apart from pulling the steering column apart?  Anything else I can try?
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

resq302

Have you tried playing with the turn signal switch?  Such as rocking it back and forth (ok up and down)?  Im wondering if it is a dirty contact inside or if it is making partial contact with one of the leads at the switch causing it to think that the turn signal is on.   :shruggy:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

A383Wing

sounds like a bad turn signal switch.....

Bryan

b5blue

Buy a new turnsignal switch, use it as a plug and play tester under the dash.  :2thumbs: I have an extra ignition sw. I used that way! Check the connectors on the new harness, my new engine harness had a poor crimp on the blue wire @ bulkhead, light tug and the wire slid out! 

A383Wing

his connections are good...he said both turn signals work..so that means the connections, bulbs, & grounds are good....he's got a faulty turn switch

he also says that this turn switch he has in there is new, wonder where he bought it at?

Bryan

b5blue

That is why I have an extra ignition switch, I bought on a "closeout" off eBay for 18.00 and a week or two of use and it quit cranking the starter. It was out of tolerance just enough to not engage with the key lock. It still works as a "tester" because by hand outside the housing it cranks if you turn it farther then the key would. Hence bad new part. He can test a new turnsignal switch outside the column just by plugging it in. If it works THEN install, if not return it and look else where.  :2thumbs:

70 Charger RT

I haven't tried to "wiggle" the signal lever yet. I'll try that tonight.  If that doesn't do it, I'll have to pull out my "new" crappy ebay switch and install another.  Good idea to try hook up a different switch under the dash first to see if that rectifies the issue.

I'll keep you updated.
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

moparfan53

Here is some info about testing the t/s switch brake light circuit. Perhaps it will be of help.

70 Charger RT

I'll try this test.  I took the steering wheel off tonight to have a closer look.  Here are some pictures I took of the switch.  I also tried my emergency switch as it is also attached to the s/l switch.  I have only one front park light work when I turn the emerg switch on.  Everything is pointing to the switch.
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

A383Wing

that doesn't look like a "new" switch...looks old

Bryan

b5blue

You got just the toggle not the entire switch.... :scratchchin: Let's see, some cleaning is the first order. Got a Radio Shack near you? If so get some Caig Labs. DL-100 DeOxIt and spray all connections and contact points first, this stuff works very well.

resq302

Quote from: b5blue on April 25, 2013, 05:37:54 AM
You got just the toggle not the entire switch.... :scratchchin: Let's see, some cleaning is the first order. Got a Radio Shack near you? If so get some Caig Labs. DL-100 DeOxIt and spray all connections and contact points first, this stuff works very well.

I agree!  I just did all the contacts over the winter on my bulk head connector and now my temp gauge is reading higher than normal.  The only thing I can attribute it to is the lack of resistance from the now clean contacts causing a lower read when the contacts were dirty.  I was able to get an NOS temp switch which was able to get the temp gauge back to the correct reading.

From the looks of the pics, it looks like there is a fair amount of corrosion on the lower contacts and looks like its either grease or something on the back of one of the terminals on the new toggle.  I would clean it up first with the DeOxit and then put some new dielectric grease back on there and try it.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

70 Charger RT

I thought by changing the cam with the springy thing in it would do the job but I guess not.  I would try cleaning the contacts but another problem just crept up.  Once you turn the signal to the right, it won't catch to hold it in position even though there is no plastic clips broken.  It just wants to return to the middle.  I'm just going to replace the complete switch with a new one.  Some people say they are available at the Dodge dealer.  If all else fails, I'll try scab bay.
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

70 Charger RT

I just talked to our local Dodge dealer here in Edmonton.  They'll have one in tomorrow.  Looks like I'll be busy this weekend.
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

Pete in NH

I had one of those contacts between the crimped on terminal and rivet open up on the emergency flasher switch cause the same issue on my 71. Those are the six riveted connections shown in the lower right of the photo. A quick touch with a soldering iron and solder repaired it and it has worked for years after the repair. I'll second the thought that De-Oxit is really good stuff, the best contact cleaner I've ever used.

70 Charger RT

Got the new switch installed today.  All the lights work like a charm  now.  Here is the old switch and the new switch.  The new switch came with an extra plug that I'm not sure what it's for.  For the Charger, it doesn't appear to do anything.  If you look close, you can see on the new switch there's three extra wires.  I just left it disconnected. anyone know what these extra wires are for?  They wern't on the old switch.
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

moparfan53

Quote from: 70 Charger RT on April 27, 2013, 06:30:44 PM
... The new switch came with an extra plug that I'm not sure what it's for.  For the Charger, it doesn't appear to do anything.  If you look close, you can see on the new switch there's three extra wires.  I just left it disconnected. anyone know what these extra wires are for?  They wern't on the old switch.

I think they are for the fender mounted t/s lights on 3rd gen cars.

resq302

I thought it was for the cornering lights on vehicles such as Imperial's and higher end cars that had them.  Either way, congrats on the fix!   :2thumbs: :cheers:
Brian

A383Wing

wouldn't be for fender lights...that connector has 3 wires.

Bryan

moparfan53

Quote from: resq302 on April 27, 2013, 10:30:48 PM
I thought it was for the cornering lights on vehicles such as Imperial's and higher end cars that had them.  Either way, congrats on the fix!   :2thumbs: :cheers:

resq302, you are correct. I looked at the wiring diagram for a 71 C body. The extra wires are for cornering lights as you said, not fender mounted turn signals as I posted above. Guess I should have checked first instead of relying on my faulty memory! ;D

70 Charger RT

Good to know what they're for in case I want to use them for something in the future.
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel