News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A 1940 Packard reborn after 44 years in storage tank

Started by TruckDriver, May 04, 2013, 08:22:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

Ohio man revives rare 1940 Super 8 limo after decades of dormancy

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130503/CARNEWS01/130509962 (More pictures here)

TOLEDO—Jerry Brummett saw beauty and utility in a ratty 1940 Packard Super 8 Formal Sedan parked in a farmer's field in the early 1960s.

He bought it for $350 and used it to haul his motorcycles to local races. But the young man had no money to restore the luxurious sedan that he later learned was once owned by a co-founder of Champion Spark Plug Co.

So in 1966, Brummett stashed the car, welding it into a giant steel tank that had been removed from a nearby gas station, and kept it sealed up in his backyard outside Toledo for 44 years.

Brummett pulled the Packard out of its steel sarcophagus in 2010 and began a two-year, $80,000 restoration.

This spring, Brummett, 72, drove his fully restored limousine back to its original garage at the Stranahan family mansion, now a popular metropark in suburban Toledo.

Most of the parts needed for the restoration came from a donor Packard Brummett purchased in 2011. Others had to be fabricated.

"The toughest part was the upholstery, just finding somebody to do the work," Brummett said.

Built in 1939, the Packard was one of only 243 made. It had one of the first automotive uses of air conditioning, though it required a wrench to remove a belt in the engine bay to turn it off.

When it was new, the Packard's 356-cubic-inch I8 put out a whopping 160 hp to push its 4,210 pounds. It had hand-cranked windows, including one that could be raised and lowered between the rear-seat passenger and chauffer.

Packard enthusiasts say Brummett's limousine is one of only 15 left in the world. Auction estimates have placed its restored value at more than $60,000.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Silver R/T

Cool car. I bet nobody will be doing this to a Prius
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

areibel

That is cool!  But the values makes me wonder, one of 15 surviving and only worth $60K after an $80K resto? 
Glad I stuck to Mopars!

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: areibel on May 04, 2013, 02:09:49 PM
That is cool!  But the values makes me wonder, one of 15 surviving and only worth $60K after an $80K resto? 
Glad I stuck to Mopars!

The love is more important majority of the time for a vehicle we all can't be like HLpAG  ::)

charger Downunder

[/quote]

Bob T

Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Mytur Binsdirti

Lot of dust on it, considering it was in a sealed tank with the doors welded shut.

nh_mopar_fan

What possesses someone to weld a car into a tank?

Aero426

Great story.   He saw the clock ticking and decided it was time to make his dreams come true. 

TruckDriver

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on May 04, 2013, 06:28:51 PM
Lot of dust on it, considering it was in a sealed tank with the doors welded shut.

I thought the same thing, unless it was like that when they put it in there.  :shruggy:

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on May 04, 2013, 08:15:04 PM
What possesses someone to weld a car into a tank?

anti theft
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

stripedelete

Quote from: TruckDriver on May 04, 2013, 09:34:41 PM
Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on May 04, 2013, 06:28:51 PM

I thought the same thing, unless it was like that when they put it in there.  :shruggy:

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on May 04, 2013, 08:15:04 PM

Through vents?  If you sealed it in without some ventalation wouldn't it cook?   :shruggy:
(Or, maybe he cut it open every ten years to take a look.)

Aero426

Probably needed to have some ventilation built into it to prevent condensation from being a problem.    Either way, I don't think I have ever seen a car emerge from long term storage that was clean. 

Cooter

At least it wasn't in an underground Swimming pool like the Tulsa 1957 Plymouth, and came out looking like it was off the Titanic. :shruggy:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Tilar

If that thing was welded inside there, it was only a lock or something welding those doors closed. It still had air getting inside. If you look at the doors he has on there, there is no weld along the edges where the door closed.

Quote from: Cooter on May 05, 2013, 03:49:39 PM
At least it wasn't in an underground Swimming pool like the Tulsa 1957 Plymouth, and came out looking like it was off the Titanic. :shruggy:

I don't think that 57 Plymouth would be in the condition it's in if the vault hadn't had a hole knocked in it in the 80's. They shined lights inside and what they could see it was dry, so they patched the hole and let it go. I remember them trying to decide whether or not to open it up and fix it right and they decided against it. That was costly.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.