News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gun buy back programs

Started by Paul G, April 26, 2013, 05:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

The city of Phoenix is having a gun buy back program next month. I am glad I found out about it. They are giving a $100 gift card to anyone who turns in a hand gun or long gun. More for assault rifles. I have this little POS 22 LR pistol that jams every third round and misfires about as much. I was cleaning it last time I had it out and a couple small pieces of metal fell out of it. Like a flat spring had broken. Perfect I thought. Turn this little POS in to $100 so I can buy more ammo.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

XH29N0G

Shame on you!  :smilielol:  I hope in the least, they will protect your privacy.....

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Tilar

:2thumbs:  :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:  You can probably go to an estate auction and pick up some cheap pistols and make a few more bucks.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

polywideblock

don't laugh John Howard(scumbag) disarmed the Australian public the same way .some people only see the cash their getting not the fact that they are destroying the guns

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

hatersaurusrex

I'll never understand why they call it a 'gun buy back'.  I didn't buy my guns from the goverment in the first place.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

kab69440

Quote from: Tilar on April 26, 2013, 05:49:53 PM
 :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:  You can probably go to an estate auction and pick up some cheap pistols and make a few more bucks.

Not around here. Guns sell at auction for more than new price. People get stupid at auctions.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Rolling_Thunder

Wonder how much they would give me for my AR-15s....    hmmmmm     :scratchchin:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

charge69

I cannot think of ANY city in my state that has ever had a gun-buy-back program!  They might have a gun-buy program ever now and then. As for myself, I have more than I need but, I do not have as many as I want!

These kind of programs never seem to be anything but a joke for the community involved. I cannot imagine taking only $100.00 for any of mine and you can bet an AR just ain't gonna show up there.

Drache

They tried having a gun buy back one time and were giving out $50 and $100 gift cards. So a bunch of guys I know sat up a table and were offering $150 and $200 cash depending on if we liked the gun. Police were none too happy.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Paul G

Quote from: Drache on April 27, 2013, 07:47:09 PM
They tried having a gun buy back one time and were giving out $50 and $100 gift cards. So a bunch of guys I know sat up a table and were offering $150 and $200 cash depending on if we liked the gun. Police were none too happy.

There was a guy who did that here last year. He made the news, never heard if he picked up anything good.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

rt green

buy back?  you will never see that in south dakota. you are almost required to have a gun here.
third string oil changer

Charger RT

a couple of rocket launchers got turned in near here not long ago during one of these buy backs.
http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20130203/WIRE/130209904
Tim

Drache

Quote from: Charger RT on April 27, 2013, 09:00:04 PM
a couple of rocket launchers got turned in near here not long ago during one of these buy backs.
Tim

Useless LAW-72 tubes would be my guess. Every now and then the news goes apeshit when someone finds one in the garbage dump.

Although there was a LOADED one found on the side of the road here in BC couple years back  :D
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Mike DC

QuoteThese kind of programs never seem to be anything but a joke for the community involved. I cannot imagine taking only $100.00 for any of mine and you can bet an AR just ain't gonna show up there.

They don't run these programs expecting people to turn in high quality stuff.  

They're hoping people will turn in a rusty old .38 pistol with the serial numbers filed off.  The one that's been passed around for $50 cash in the ghetto and used in drug deals & liquor store holdups.  

Tilar

Quote from: kab69440 on April 27, 2013, 02:42:34 AM
Quote from: Tilar on April 26, 2013, 05:49:53 PM

Not around here. Guns sell at auction for more than new price. People get stupid at auctions.

I didn't realise they were going that high at auctions. Went to a farm auction yesterday and watched a .22 long revolver sell for $540. A plain jane 22 semi auto sold for $130 and a box of 30-06 shells went for $60 when you can buy them for $40 and less and the 30 06 itself went for over $600. It was nuts.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

stripedelete

kab69440

Back around '91 I went to a farm auction and looked over a nice .22 Viper. When I came up I opened at $40 and stayed in to $80. It sold for over $250. Keep in mind at that time, that plinker sold new for $120. I was stunned. I watch guns at auctions but never bother to bid anymore. Not once have I been able to win one for less than new retail price.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

AKcharger

Quote from: Paul G on April 26, 2013, 05:28:13 PM
The city of Phoenix is having a gun buy back program next month. I am glad I found out about it.... Perfect I thought. Turn this little POS in to $100 so I can buy more ammo.

Lol, exactly what I'd do!

I recall back in the 90s and anti-gun fever was all the rage. I saw a news  clip where the reporter was eager to show this guy turning in not one, but two SKS "Assault rifles"  Keen to show how the program was taking these deadly weapons off the street they asked why he was giving them up. He said "we'll this is my second time in line, I already turned in two others. See that gun store down there, I buy them for $89 each and bring them here for $125." The horrified reported asked why he did that, the answer "It's the American way!"

BB1

Delete my profile

XH29N0G

Quote from: AKcharger on April 28, 2013, 12:01:57 PM
Quote from: Paul G on April 26, 2013, 05:28:13 PM
The city of Phoenix is having a gun buy back program next month. I am glad I found out about it.... Perfect I thought. Turn this little POS in to $100 so I can buy more ammo.

Lol, exactly what I'd do!

I recall back in the 90s and anti-gun fever was all the rage. I saw a news  clip where the reporter was eager to show this guy turning in not one, but two SKS "Assault rifles"  Keen to show how the program was taking these deadly weapons off the street they asked why he was giving them up. He said "we'll this is my second time in line, I already turned in two others. See that gun store down there, I buy them for $89 each and bring them here for $125." The horrified reported asked why he did that, the answer "It's the American way!"

Strikes me as kind of sad.  Both for the program, and for the person who is ripping off the US of A.     
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Mopar Nut

Quote from: rt green on April 27, 2013, 08:01:41 PM
buy back?  you will never see that in south dakota. you are almost required to have a gun here.
Not in Utah either.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Drache on April 27, 2013, 10:26:55 PM
Quote from: Charger RT on April 27, 2013, 09:00:04 PM
Tim

Useless LAW-72 tubes would be my guess. Every now and then the news goes apeshit when someone finds one in the garbage dump.

Although there was a LOADED one found on the side of the road here in BC couple years back  :D

Those were LAW tubes and had been de-mil-ed long ago - they belonged to a collector and the news used them as a "look at how effective these buybacks are - they are getting dangerous shit off the street" - which is BS.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

DixieRestoParts

Quote from: Paul G on April 27, 2013, 07:58:28 PM
Quote from: Drache on April 27, 2013, 07:47:09 PM

There was a guy who did that here last year. He made the news, never heard if he picked up anything good.

Now that's a smart move. Buy the good ones first, keep the ones you like. Sell the others, take profit, buy Charger parts !!
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

John_Kunkel

There are lots of threads on gun forums where folks stop people entering the buy-backs and offer more money for decent guns...as long as it's off government property the LEO's generally can't stop it.

Others turn in junk and use the cash to purchase new guns.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

AKcharger

But the important thing is it really makes people feel good!