News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

explain me this? Orange box

Started by Dmichels, April 24, 2013, 06:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dmichels

Ok converted the car to EI 20 years ago Same orange box worked fine for years. Start car in garage the other day, and it craps out. I buy a new box install it and run an extra ground strap for good measure. Starts up fine. I touch the transistor to check temp. I get a zap. Not high voltage mabey 90 volts or so. Is this normal?
68 440 4 speed 4.10

ottawamerc

I may go out on a ledge here but I would think that is not normal, should be a max of 12v there and possibly only 8? :shruggy: It must be generating a charge somehow and also the reason why its quitting on ya
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

469 runner

JB400

Wanna try to touch the chrome one when it's hooked up?  :icon_smile_big: ;)

Pete in NH

Hi,

That's perfectly normal. An ignition coil has two windings a primary and secondary, it's the secondary that produces the voltage to fire the plugs. The way a coil works is that when the transisitor in the orange box turns on current flows in the primary winding building up a magnetic field in the coil. When the transistor turns off, the faster the better, this magnetic field collapes and creates a  high voltage in the secondary to fire the plugs. This collaping field also creates a voltage in the primary winding as well and this is what you are feeling on the transisitor case.

Dmichels

Thanks guys glad to know this is normal. I just found it strange that the transistor would be "hot" when running.
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

Rolling_Thunder

You think that's fun?  Grab a magneto...         
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

A383Wing

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on April 26, 2013, 04:16:54 PM
You think that's fun?  Grab a magneto...         

Yea...those bite hard....also not fun is the "Little White Wire" for the dash lights in a first gen Charger...

those 66-67 guys know what I mean (250v AC @ 250hz)

Bryan