News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who can do it all

Started by charger500rt71, April 24, 2013, 10:23:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69rtse4spd

Quote from: chargerboy69 on April 24, 2013, 10:55:38 AM
I find the older I get the less I do myself.

My business is busy, I have have less time to do the things to the car, even my daily drivers.  Nowdays I find myself hiring the work out.

Same here.

Scaregrabber

I do it all and it's great therapy. I build my engines, trans, axles, do upholstery, make panels and weld them on do the bodywork and I can paint. However with the chemicals in paint I am now shying away from it. That's always the trick, getting the paint done by someone else.
I wouldn't think of letting somebody torque down the maincaps in one of my engines.

Sheldon

Rolling_Thunder

I can do it all...   even re-engineer the wheel if needed...    I do usually pass bodywork and paint off to someone else. Although I can do it I just don't have the patience.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

BlueSS454

I can do it all.  The only thing I won't do is rebuild an automatic transmission or install a convertible top.  As far as everything else...engine & rear rebuilds/installation, suspension, brakes, electrical, interior upholstery, headliners, vinyl tops, cutting/welding sheet metal, body work & paint, full disassembly and final assembly, I can do myself.  I've been screwed over too many times in the past to keep relying on people to do sub par work.  I can also rebuild carbs, distributors, alternators, starters, brake valves, control arms, steering boxes, steering pumps, heater boxes, etc.  Wiper Motors, master cylinders, and boosters I send out as well as engine machine work.
I am also starting to take on side jobs doing this type of work.  I've had several people ask me about doing work on their cars that are willing to pay me so I said why not.  It's something I like doing and I think I am pretty good at.  So far I've done a complete chassis rebuild, rewiring, engine tuning, and interior work on a matching numbers 70 SS396 Chevelle.  Replaced motor & trans mounts and PS hoses on a 68 Dart, and now have a 68 Coronet I just finished doing a disc brake conversion on.  I have a 66 Impala coming for front suspension, then a 71 Malibu for a power disc conversion and possibly a 70 LS6 Chevelle that needs reassembly.
Tom Rightler

bill440rt

Great thread!  :cheers:
I probably fall in the 80-90% do-it-yourself range. I do ALL my own body & paint, actually my favorite part of the job. I may not be able to do everything, but I know what I can do I am good at.
Some things I can't do simply because I don't have the shop space, or have experience with others. For example I couldn't assemble an engine, but I have done things like a head swap & such. I've never built a rear end center section (gears), but have rebuilt/reassembled the rear end. I usually have my upholsterer do my seat covers, but I can do headliners and vinyl tops, and other interior restoration/repairs. A few things that I will pay someone to do is sandblasting the body, it is a truly thankless job & worth every bit of the $500 bucks I shelled out to have it done. Another is installing windshields or back glass, because if it leaks I don't want to be the one to have to take it out again & risk breaking it. The lifetime warranty is worth it in this case for me.

I absolutely love working on my cars. It's a great feeling to restore one of these cars knowing that you were involved in nearly every aspect of it. I can say that whenever one of my cars were in any sort of special display or judged event, they were one of the very few there that were not "turn-key" restorations.
Having said that I absolutely do NOT judge anyone who does not have the know-how or capabilities to do all their own work. Like BlueSS454 said below I've helped out many friends with their cars when they needed it as well.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

HeavyFuel

Not me.   I'm mechanically inclined......but not a mechanic.  Your typical "jack-of-all-trades, master of none".

Major assemblies like engine, tranny, etc...got farmed out for rebuild.  The body and paint was done by someone else.....I just don't have the experience, and didn't want to experiment on this car.

I did as much as possible myself, and all of the tear down and reassembly is on me.  Help from others is nonexistent.  I refinished, repaired, reused whatever I could.

This community at dodgecharger.com has been critical.  :2thumbs:

The engine break-in next month should be a good time.   :o

tan top

i'm lucky enough to be able to do everything , to do with cars etc
  , when i done a nut & bolt rebuild/ resto on the charger , only thing i did not do was my self was , engine machining ,  bumper re chroming ( wish i done the bumper repairs / prep my self )   left missed lots of shallow dents &  big dent  twist on front ( can see in aviator picture )     :brickwall:  ,  would of only taken 5 minutes to sort it out , :RantExplode: )
& balance the wheels , could of done it at work , but a buddy had a new latest balancing  machine where he worked  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

riverratSE

I do all my own work and enjoy doing so. Chargers are easy to work on anyways as far as I'm concerned. I hate to pay someone else if I can do the work myself.

cdr

Quote from: HeavyFuel on April 25, 2013, 03:13:29 PM
Not me.   I'm mechanically inclined......but not a mechanic.  Your typical "jack-of-all-trades, master of none".

Major assemblies like engine, tranny, etc...got farmed out for rebuild.  The body and paint was done by someone else.....I just don't have the experience, and didn't want to experiment on this car.

I did as much as possible myself, and all of the tear down and reassembly is on me.  Help from others is nonexistent.  I refinished, repaired, reused whatever I could.

This community at dodgecharger.com has been critical.  :2thumbs:

The engine break-in next month should be a good time.   :o

yea but you have done an ABSOLUTELY AWESOME job .......YOU did this car  :2thumbs:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Cooter

Yep, They's sumptin' to be said when asked at a show "Who did all the work?" And you can answer "I did". This is not to discourage anyone who cannot do many of the resto work, only to give props to those who can. :2thumbs:

DC.com has been a HUGE asset to anyone looking for info, Resto advice, engine building advice, etc. Here every facet of the cars is pretty much covered.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

fy469rtse

Quote from: green69rt on April 24, 2013, 06:57:35 PM
I'm a cronic do-it-youselfer.   Doesn't mean I do it well or fast but I enjoy the learning and the fact that I can point to something and say "I did that".   A little ego but it makes me feel good.

Only thing I will not be doing on my car (for now) is the paint.  I just don't have the skill or a good place to do it.  We'll see what happens with the motor and tranny. i would love to see how some one with your skills and determination painted this car , it would be gorgeous, as for the motor find a good machine shop and assemble it your self, no one will pay the attention to detail like you will on your own motor, everyone on here will help with advise, start a new thread and eveyone will comment with advise and steps, we have all been there and made mistakes, which with all this experiance conbined will be the best help you could get , great guys on this site

Kern Dog

At 47, I have been into this hobby for several years. I am competent at most aspects. My welding is improving. I've never built an automatic transmission but I am interested in learning. Body and paintwork is one of my favorite things, though my painting skills have slipped lately. The last few times I've painted I've had more crud and bugs land in the car than ever before despite my cleaning.
I've recently made great strides in understanding electrical systems as well as learned how to crimp and solder instead of using the cheesy strip and crimp connectors. I've been fortunate to have good luck building engines.

green69rt

Quote from: green69rt on April 24, 2013, 06:57:35 PM
I'm a cronic do-it-youselfer.   Doesn't mean I do it well or fast but I enjoy the learning and the fact that I can point to something and say "I did that".   A little ego but it makes me feel good.

Only thing I will not be doing on my car (for now) is the paint.  I just don't have the skill or a good place to do it.  We'll see what happens with the motor and tranny.
Quote from: fy469rtse on April 25, 2013, 06:58:10 PM
i would love to see how some one with your skills and determination painted this car , it would be gorgeous, as for the motor find a good machine shop and assemble it your self, no one will pay the attention to detail like you will on your own motor, everyone on here will help with advise, start a new thread and eveyone will comment with advise and steps, we have all been there and made mistakes, which with all this experiance conbined will be the best help you could get , great guys on this site

I will try as much as I possibly can BUT I have a real hard time holding my patience because I want this car on the road!!

Fred

Quote from: green69rt on April 25, 2013, 10:21:17 PM
Quote from: fy469rtse on April 25, 2013, 06:58:10 PM

I'm a cronic do-it-youselfer.   Doesn't mean I do it well or fast but I enjoy the learning and the fact that I can point to something and say "I did that".   A little ego but it makes me feel good.

Only thing I will not be doing on my car (for now) is the paint.  I just don't have the skill or a good place to do it.  We'll see what happens with the motor and tranny.
Quote from: green69rt on April 24, 2013, 06:57:35 PMi would love to see how some one with your skills and determination painted this car , it would be gorgeous, as for the motor find a good machine shop and assemble it your self, no one will pay the attention to detail like you will on your own motor, everyone on here will help with advise, start a new thread and eveyone will comment with advise and steps, we have all been there and made mistakes, which with all this experiance conbined will be the best help you could get , great guys on this site

I will try as much as I possibly can BUT I have a real hard time holding my patience because I want this car on the road!!

Patience is an absolute must. The more patience, the better things come together. "Easy does it".........every time.   :2thumbs:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Wicked72

limited by the tools i dont have and even then i have no choice but to do it all myself
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

six-tee-nine

I'll do mostly everything myself today.

Honestly, If I had to outsource alot of things like the bodywork, this hobby would not be for my wallet. It gets (kinda) affordable to me as long as I only need to buy parts.
Luckily I'm a mecanic for a living, working on engines on a daily base and I also know my way in electrics to.

However the bodywork is still the hardest part for me. I tend to lose my motivation pretty easy. Altough alot has changed. 15 years ago as a teenager without internet things were even more difficult. Nowadays you can just see pictures of how to replace a trunk floor, so thank god for places like this.

Last car I did a complete resto on, I cot screwed by the guy who painted my car (I did all the welding and filling and he would to the final blocking and getting rid of the last flaws I left behind before painting. Only thing he did was shot a coat of paint over the car and called it good.)
I'm thinking about doing all of it myself now even paint, that is if I can stay motivated.....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Cooter

Haven't posted much here, but felt compelled. My hats off to you. I'm always willing to let someone know when they are building their own ride, when a job is well done. This guy, has done it in spades.

Just when you think you can fabricate, a thread like this comes along and humbles the hell outta you. :yesnod:

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?20375-my-63-2-door-conversion-alterd
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

john108

How many people on this site have the car in the pictures below?  I took the pictures in Redding, CA last week.
There are 2 members with comparable Chargers on this Discussion alone.

JB400

One of the better looking GL's I've seen in quite a while :drool5:  Thanks for sharing John :cheers:

polywideblock

back in the day driveline /mechanicals were not a problem,(never done paint/panel) its been 25 years and I'm a bit Rusty which makes me  reluctant to dive in with the new car. as if i stuff something up  i have weeks to wait for a replacement part and finding someone local that knows what they are doing is near impossible . local trans shops don't even know what a A833 trans is!! one  tried to sell me a rebuild kit for a Borg/ Warner top loader as that's what "all" Chrysler's had you know,even argued with me about it  :eek2:     

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

NHCharger

The longer I own my Chargers to more I do myself. On my 68 project I did all the bodywork myself and ended up painting it myself when my painter backed out at the last minute. Wished I could have practiced painting a Pinto before painting my 68. I'm having a professional shop check the engine while it's out of the car.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

fy469rtse

Quote from: C928BRAN on April 24, 2013, 12:25:34 PM
I do all my own drivetrain, i do interior, i do all my own sheetmetal work. i do everything but spray the paint on. if i had to pay somebody to do all of this stuff, i couldnt afford to restore the car, just blessed i can do it, but i have always loved old cars, not just mopar. it is like my drug. my 69 charger is my favorite car i have ever had. i am within a few weeks of completely restoring the car, and then i am going to finish my 2nd favorite car, 1958 plymouth (christine) I had it about halfway finished, when i found my charger. the charger is the first car i ever wanted, and the last one i found, so i stopped on the plymouth, the restore the charger. what is so wierd, had been looking for a charger for years and years, and this one was only 5 min. from my house. i was at the right place at the right time, and this car was given to me, never had a car ever given to me, and as everyone here knows, chargers are hard to come by.
sorry to interrupt photos please of the old girl , have one my self in storage waiting for me to finish my charger, 58 Plymouth sport fury 361