News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who can do it all

Started by charger500rt71, April 24, 2013, 10:23:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger500rt71

So I was wondering who here at DodgeCharger.com does all their own work. Are you an engine guy but not a painter, a jack of all trades or just have deep pockets and can write a check? Lets be honest, no shame or judgement. I'll start, I do 100% of all my projects myself, that's probably why it takes years and some times decades to finish a car. Of course I don't have a machine shop but I do assemble all my engines, build my own transmissions and do all the paint and body work myself. I think its a control issue. :scratchchin:

68Charger4me

same here too, that's why it took me 7 years to do it... :2thumbs:

areibel

Well, I'm at about 90%.  I've done engines and trannys, and my bodywork skills are getting better and better but there are two things I haven't done on a car and probably won't.  First is the finish paint.  I've messed around painting some stuff, an old pick up and other odds and ends but wasn't ever happy with the results.  On the truck it didn't matter but on a car I've built I want it perfect, and with the cost of materials I don't want that to be my place to learn.  I have two buddies that move like robots with a spray gun in their hands, I've tried to duplicate it but no go.  Looks like glass when they're done.   I'll just have them shoot the color on the current rot box when I get it finished.
Second is a rear end, ring and pinion swap.  I can remember when I was a teenager, I watched an old timer set up a rear.  He didn't have any fancy tools, he'd just run a strip of carbon paper between the gears then adjust them a bit.  It was like friggin magic, I had read a little about how to do it and this guy was doing his own thing.  But it ran fine, I probably put 10K miles on the car before I got rid of it and it never made a sound.  That's one area I think I'd let someone do the fine work, I'll stick to the axle bearings and out.

chargerboy69

I find the older I get the less I do myself.

My business is busy, I have have less time to do the things to the car, even my daily drivers.  Nowdays I find myself hiring the work out.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Baldwinvette77

so far all i've done was bodywork, rust repair, fiberglass, suspension, basic axle work, plumbing etc. never done upholstery yet, never done major transmission or engine work (never had the need to, yet) but im willing to  :coolgleamA: also do electrical diagnosis  :eek2:

Tilar

Quote from: chargerboy69 on April 24, 2013, 10:55:38 AM
I find the older I get the less I do myself.

:iagree:   Same here. I CAN and have done 100% of it and do it fairly well but like Chargerboy the older I get the less I want to take the time to do. Paint and body work I am real slow on because I am so damn particular and I'll know every flaw, so that part or at least the painting I will probably farm out.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Cooter

Funny you should ask this one...(Inside joke). My hats off to ya' As well...

I do it all. From Interior stitching door panels, to full on paint and body. Engines/Trans/Rears. Even Narrow rearends/roll cages/etc.

Paid a bodyshop to repair some rust ONE TIME and refuse to get hosed again. Same thing with interior work. NOBODY does quality work for FAIR prices anymore. Sure, one can always find a shop that charges $4K for interior work and chances are, it'll look great, but for my money, I'm thinking $1200.00 and My interior is done.

I refuse to try and get anything done one drivetrains as come time for any type of problem, you are pretty much on your own.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dino

I can do all the bodywork, most of the interior, quite a bit of electrical and a bit of mechanical.  But I don't have the time anymore to do much...
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

lexxman

I do want I can.I'm doing the bodywork and painting engine bay,trunk and door jars myself. But sending it to a shop for the mean paint. And the engine and etc I do  with some help from friends.I may send the trannie out. Don't have a lot of money,so no choose.

cdr

I am there with COOTER ! although since i have gotten older & i have MS it takes me about 5 times longer to do things  :icon_smile_big: i really like dropping tools & tripping when there is nothing to trip on  :smilielol: it makes life interesting,although i am truly grateful that GOD is helping me to keep on keepin on! workin on my charger is the best therapy for me,when i get something finished i feel good about it. DON'T FORGET if you can't laugh at yourself who can you laugh at..........

charlie  
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Cooter

Quote from: cdr on April 24, 2013, 11:48:16 AM
I am there with COOTER ! although since i have gotten older & i have MS it takes me about 5 times longer to do things  :icon_smile_big: i really like dropping tools & tripping when there is nothing to trip on  :smilielol: it makes life interesting,although i am truly grateful that GOD is helping me to keep on keepin on! workin on my charger is the best therapy for me,when i get something finished i feel good about it. DON'T FORGET if you can't laugh at yourself who can you laugh at..........

charlie  

Charlie, you are an inspiration to many. Having MS and still keepin' on. I had no idea. Damn, now not only my hats off, but it's in my hand as well.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

cdr

thanx COOTER i am very humbled by your kind words  :yesnod:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

charge69

What Cooter said goes double for me, Charlie !!  I am amazed at how much you can do and your Charger is coming along so well!  Congrats to you for the perserverance to keep going! No way I could do all that you have accomplished!

Daytona R/T SE

I've done it all except for the final body work and paint.

If I EVER do another one I'll do everything myself. :Twocents:

spoolinhard

I can do everything except actual machine work. I don't own a blaster so I don't do any of that myself either.

C928BRAN

I do all my own drivetrain, i do interior, i do all my own sheetmetal work. i do everything but spray the paint on. if i had to pay somebody to do all of this stuff, i couldnt afford to restore the car, just blessed i can do it, but i have always loved old cars, not just mopar. it is like my drug. my 69 charger is my favorite car i have ever had. i am within a few weeks of completely restoring the car, and then i am going to finish my 2nd favorite car, 1958 plymouth (christine) I had it about halfway finished, when i found my charger. the charger is the first car i ever wanted, and the last one i found, so i stopped on the plymouth, the restore the charger. what is so wierd, had been looking for a charger for years and years, and this one was only 5 min. from my house. i was at the right place at the right time, and this car was given to me, never had a car ever given to me, and as everyone here knows, chargers are hard to come by.

JB400

I can do mechanical work easy enough.  All else, I haven't tried.  But, I have patience and the willing to learn :2thumbs: and a basic understanding of how to do it :2thumbs:

bobfist

Doing everything myself, even painting and re chroming and reproduced the missing charger 69 grille :)
www.bobfist.com
Muscle Car Restorations & Reproduction
Sweden

ws23rt

I do all my own aside from engine block and cyl head prep. I started at 14 with a 57 desoto. without money to pay someone I learned by asking, researching , and failing. Have had many mopars and mini money for many years. This gave me lots of satisfaction and fun learning. I got to the point that when I took my C500 all apart I didn't need to bag and tag all the small stuff. That was a mistake My memory is very good but accessing it when needed is a killer.
A big new project can feel overwhelming as our mind sees hundreds of things in a glance but every one of them is simple.
However in agreement with some of us elderly here. There comes a time when we start to run out of gas. Doing what used to be fun tends to turn into a chore. But that doesn't stop that erg when we see something that looks like a maybe one more time. To many projects not enough years.

A383Wing

I can tear an engine apart and put it together blindfolded and it will run....Body work I cannot do to save my life

I can't do woodwork either, I can measure & cut a 2x4 three times and it will always be too short

Bryan

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: cdr on April 24, 2013, 11:48:16 AM

charlie  

In todays entitlement world, it's so good to see someone who just does himself, instead of expecting someone else to do everything for them. For me, the 5 times longer is because it takes me that long to find the tool I just set down.
I really understand the feeling.....when you sit back and realize what ya got done  :2thumbs:

lexxman

Ya I must say I prefer the nuts and bolts over body work.

dyslexic teddybear

Oh yeah......

Major do it myself type. Have done body work.....was actually pretty good at it. I don't really like it, but I can make myself do it. Mechanical......well I have been inside a 14L Cummins, couple of Deere diesels, Deetroit 2 strokes, transmissions.....if I have a service manuel[with pictures], or a good site, such as this one.....I'll do fine.

Never had a problem paying someone who really knew what they were doing to do it. Unfortunately, there are few of them, thus hard to find.

green69rt

I'm a cronic do-it-youselfer.   Doesn't mean I do it well or fast but I enjoy the learning and the fact that I can point to something and say "I did that".   A little ego but it makes me feel good.

Only thing I will not be doing on my car (for now) is the paint.  I just don't have the skill or a good place to do it.  We'll see what happens with the motor and tranny.

Fred

Quote from: A383Wing on April 24, 2013, 05:54:49 PM
I can tear an engine apart and put it together blindfolded and it will run....Body work I cannot do to save my life

I can't do woodwork either, I can measure & cut a 2x4 three times and it will always be too short

Bryan

I can tear a complete car to pieces but that's where it stops!  :smilielol:  :smilielol:
No just kidding. I can put it together again too.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.