News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what year is my 383 from?

Started by 66chargeragain, April 20, 2013, 12:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66chargeragain

My '66 has a newly rebuilt 383 and runs and sounds great. I purchased the car from a 3rd party that could give me no real history on the car. My question is, how can I tell if it is actually a 1966 motor. For all I know it could be a low compression engine from the 70's. Are there any casting numbers on the block and or heads to tell me a bit more about the history of the motor. If so where do I look and how do i determine what it is with these numbers? As far as being matching numbers I have no fender tag or build sheet and I believe I would need one or both of those to determine that. Any helpwill be appreciated. The serial number tells me it came with a 383 originally.

A383Wing

there will be casting dates on the side of the block. There is also stamped numbers & letters in the flat pad under the distributor. We will need to see those to tell you. The pad under the dist will have a letter then 383 after the letter. What is the letter that's there?

Bryan

66chargeragain

A383Wing

66chargeragain

Thanks Bryan. I am guessing this would confirm it to be a high compression engine. Is there anything else that can can be learned from this about the original build? I think there were different versions of 383 in '68. What about the heads? Any way of checking those as again I think there were different versions. Sorry if these are stupid questionsm just trying to get more history on my car.

A383Wing

there were 383 2bbls & 383 4bbls....each used a different cam. You will have to pull the valve covers off to determine which heads you have...if they are 68, they should be "906" heads

To determine if this is a 4bbl or 2bbl engine, heads would have to be pulled to see pistons...or get a scope to see through plug hole. 2bbl pistons are lower compression and look like a dog dish on the top of piston.

the motor is not from your 66...all the 66 Chargers with 383 had 4bbl carb and were 10.1 compression ratio

Bryan

kab69440

The 383 was available with a 2v in '68. The year of manufacture does not guarantee a high performance engine.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

66chargeragain

Thanks, learned a lot today. I will check for numbers on the heads and go from there.

John_Kunkel

The pad where you found the D 383 can have additional numbers/letters stamped there...look for a stamped HP that denotes a high-performance engine. Of course, after 45+ years you never know what's inside now.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Mytur Binsdirti

Having received many D's in school, that letter has left me traumatized. Where's my disability check?

71 SE3834V

This might give you an idea of where to look for the "HP". I don't know if in '68 they used the same configuration as my '71.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V