News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oil cooler

Started by Voss, April 20, 2013, 06:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voss

Got to ask a few cooling questions...

Did cars with PS come with an PS oil cooler as standard? How and where was it mounted?

Same question for engine oil cooler and trans oil cooler. As my car sits now it has no PS oil cooler, no engine oil cooler, and the lines from the transmission are just routed to the rad and then back. That's about it. Started to wonder if I miss parts that I am not aware of.  :icon_smile_big:

green69rt

You interested in any particular car?   My old 69 Charger RT came with a transmisson cooler built into the bottom of the radiator so it was cooled with hot coolant.  No other coolers.   It was a AT, PS car.   I think modern cars come with more coolers built in.  Now that you have brought it up I think I'll go look.

Voss

Quote from: green69rt on April 20, 2013, 08:05:14 AM
You interested in any particular car?   My old 69 Charger RT came with a transmisson cooler built into the bottom of the radiator so it was cooled with hot coolant.  No other coolers.   It was a AT, PS car.   I think modern cars come with more coolers built in.  Now that you have brought it up I think I'll go look.

Ah, I forgot to write 68 - 70 Chargers. :laugh: Yeah, modern cars are a total different business. I have the same setup on my 68, no other coolers but the transmission cooler in the bottom of the radiator. But I hear people discuss extra coolers for their transmissions so I started to think about what actually came on these cars when they were new. I think I read somewhere about PS coolers too. Not sure. Bottom line is that I'm interested to learn what is factory correct.

Just 6T9 CHGR

PS coolers came on cars with optional axle packages 3.55 & numerically higher.  Auxiliary trans coolers were Hemi engines only equipped with auto trans.

PS coolers are mounted directly to the PS pump bracketry
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

green69rt

I see that are you trying to keep the car factory.  But if you can stand one change that can be removed and returned to factory as needed then I really can't think of a mod that's needed on the old A/T cars as much as a stand alone transmission cooler, not the one inside the radiator.   Second mod would be a deep sump transmission pan.  I like to take real good care of my trannys.

Voss

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 21, 2013, 07:38:30 AM
PS coolers came on cars with optional axle packages 3.55 & numerically higher.  Auxiliary trans coolers were Hemi engines only equipped with auto trans.

PS coolers are mounted directly to the PS pump bracketry

Thanks for this info, and the great picture! My car has 3.23 gears so I figure the transmission cooler (only) in the bottom of the radiator is factory correct then.

Voss

Quote from: green69rt on April 21, 2013, 08:20:01 AM
I see that are you trying to keep the car factory.  But if you can stand one change that can be removed and returned to factory as needed then I really can't think of a mod that's needed on the old A/T cars as much as a stand alone transmission cooler, not the one inside the radiator.   Second mod would be a deep sump transmission pan.  I like to take real good care of my trannys.

green69rt: I hear you. :icon_smile_big: I can live with changes which does not mean irreversible damage to the car. I will definitely consider your suggestions. But first I need to get my rebuilt carb, alternator, radiator, shroud, hoses, clamps, fuel vapor separator and fuel lines installed. Followed by correct pulleys, fan, spacer, water pump, thermostat housing, 180 deg thermostat, a bunch of brackets and a lot of small parts... The list has been HUGE, I have hunted good original parts all winter and restored them. FINALLY things start to come in place. More or less, stripped the whole engine front-end from incorrect parts and started from the beginning. :D The previous owner of this car has not been nice to it, but now it gets the respect it deserves...  :icon_smile_big: Also got me a set of new speakers (bought them from turnswitch.com, looks great), fixed the original AM radio, built a transmitter which I can hook up to the iPod (bought the transmitter kit from Vectronics, works great with a few mods)... Hmm, getting off topic here now, I will post more pictures in another thread. Thanks for the cooling tips! :cheers:

Picked up the carb today, here is a pic.

green69rt

Seems these old cars are never finished but always fun...keep on keepin on.