News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help.....need opinions for TTI exhaust size

Started by sneezi, April 19, 2013, 05:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sneezi

Hi Guys
 I am after opinions on which size TTI exhaust system to buy 2 1/2 or 3 inch x pipe.

Its a 69 charger with a mild 440
stock stroke
10.4:1 comp
stealth heads flowed 280cfm@500 fitted with 1.6 crane rollers
six pack carbs by pro max
comp cam hydraulic p/n 21-223-4
adv dur 268  280
dur@50 224  230
lobe sep 110
valve lift  508  512 with 1.6 rockers

catch is im using the factory HP exhaust manifolds ceramic coated,
i do realise i would benefit with headers but i wanted the factory look.
I dont really know what power this engine will make and how much i have possibly sacrificed with the HP manifolds.
Trans is 727 with stock converter
8 3/4 3.23 posi
Thanks in advance
Mick

firefighter3931

You'll be fine with 2 1/2 in exhaust....the outlet on the manifold is 2.5in  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

c00nhunterjoe

With the mild duration cam and manifolds I will agree with ron. 2 1/2 will be plenty on that motor as a street car. Should sound nice at idle. Looking foreward to videos

sneezi

Thanks for the advice guys.
I will be putting in the order next week with mancini or pro max.

Any ideas what power i should be making before i hit the chassis dyno in a few months.
Mick

c00nhunterjoe

Mopar Nut

Quote from: sneezi on April 19, 2013, 08:57:41 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.
I will be putting in the order next week with mancini or pro max.

Any ideas what power i should be making before i hit the chassis dyno in a few months.
Mick
Go directly to TTI, they will custom build you a stainless steel system. They built mine for my 69 Charger 2-1/2 XB25MN6870-SS, talk to Mr. Raby
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

cdr

i would go 3in!!!!! its not gonna run worse than 2.5,what if you decide to put headers on later?? how much have you waisted now ??
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

sneezi

Thanks again guys for the respones.

c00nhunterjoe  i dont think it will make that sort of power at the wheels, i was thinking 350 at the wheels

cdr  looks as though a few people are saying 2 1/2 will be enough, thats what im leaning towards.

Anyone else care to share there opinion!!
thanks again

Charger_Dart

I put TTI's 2 1/2" X system on my BB with factory manifolds a few years ago and it sounds good and does not seem to have cost me much in the HP department. 
For my setup I decided the 3" would not add much for HP, but might make it a little louder. I have never regretted the decision.  :2thumbs:
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

charge69

Well, my HemiCharger has a complete X-pipe TTi exhaust system with TTi headers. More than one person recommeded a 2 1/2" system as it would be plenty enough for my car. Even people who would be nationally recognized as "HEMI" experts said a 2 1/2" system would actually be better for my Charger! So, that is what I went with, a 2 1/2" X-pipe system and it looks and sounds awesome.

My Charger dynoed at 588hp @ 6600rpm with "Dyno" headers and I am sure the TTi's are just as effecient if not moreso and I do not regret the 2 1/2" system choice. It was super easy to install and seems very efficient.